Family Holidays

Happy Father’s Day

It’s strange how life changes as you get older. Growing up, my little sister was Daddy’s girl and I chose to stay closer to Mom. Dad and little Sis went fishing and did other outdoorsy things while Mom and I preferred the comfort of air-conditioning.

Now, as an adult, if you met my dad and me, you’d probably assume I had always been Daddy’s girl. I live about 1,600 miles away from him, but we talk regularly – about all kinds of things. We argue about politics, talk about our ups and downs and chat about whatever is happening in our lives.

Our relationship was rocky at times (particularly through my late adolescence and early 20’s,) but it’s stronger than ever now. And I wouldn’t chose anyone else to take his place, ever. I love him, and I hope he knows just how much.

Trudy
    June 21, 2009 at 4:33 pm

That is very sweet! Isn't it funny how time and even distance can change a relationship. Not to mention growth and maturity! I'm glad you and your father have a special relationship!

Funnyrunner
    June 21, 2009 at 6:16 pm

hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. This is an amazingly creative site. Very impressive. good luck with the weight loss! You can do it!

hillary
    June 21, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I don't know how old you are but I am almost 31 and I couldn't agree more. My dad and I always got along and I was always a daddy's girl (or tried to be!) and its now when I am 30 and he is 50 that I really can feel how much he loves in his own manly unshowing way. The little things I didn't notice as a kid. The post its he leaves me when he goes to work and I am visiting. (I save every single one) the donut he has waiting for me every morning. The kind I loved as a 5 year old. Strawbetty frosted. The one that is too sweet to me as an adult but I eat it and smile.

Mocha Dad
    June 22, 2009 at 12:50 am

The relationship between a father and daughter is special. I work hard to develop a strong bond with my daughter.

Ashley and Eric
    June 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That was such a sweet post. I'd say I've always been a daddy's girl, but I can't say the same about my relationship with my mom. Now we are best of friends. Growing older is an interesting thing!

BTW: thanks for visiting my blog!! I appreciate your comments so much!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations
    June 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I have to agree. Growing up I was probably closer to my mom ~ we did everything together. We are still close, but I find I'm a lot closer to my dad now too. He's a great man! 🙂