My friend, Charlene, made stuffed peppers for a party we attended a few weeks ago, and it inspired me to make my own. Charlene gave me a list of basic ingredients then I tweaked it, creating a dish that will definitely be part of my regular dinner rotation. 🙂
If you want something simple, tasty and satisfying then try this recipe. I love it so much that I plan to eat it for lunch tomorrow too.
Here’s what you’ll need to make stuffed peppers:
- One cup of Whole wheat Orzo (If you can’t find that just substitute brown rice.)
- One can of corn (drained and soaked for 3 minutes to remove some of the sodium)
- One can of petite diced tomatoes (in it’s own juice)
- Four peppers (I like to use green peppers and red though any color will taste great.)
- One pound of ground turkey (cooked and drained and optional.)
- Oregano, parsley and basil
Boil the orzo (or rice) as directed then add drained corn and tomatoes (with juice.) Add seasoning to taste then mix. Stuff each pepper with 1 cup of mixture. Place in a baking dish then add water to the dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. This will make four heaping stuffed bell peppers! With turkey, each pepper totals 7 points, and without turkey, each pepper totals 4 points.
Tonight, I made mine without turkey and added 1/3 cup of WW mozzarella cheese for a total of 6 points. Then I added a piece of chicken breast for 3 points. So there are many ways to do it, but you’ll be satisfied after eating any of them.