Emotions Travel

Overweight On The Plane

I love to travel, and traveling by air is certainly most efficient for me since I love relaxing on Caribbean islands and because my closest family member lives over a thousand miles away. But the love I have for traveling and for my family is mixed with anxiety because I am an overweight passenger.

I fit into the seat, and with the help of an extension, I am able to buckle myself in. I just board the plane early then discreetly ask for a seat belt extension before carefully making my way to the back of the plane (where people are less likely to be sitting right next to me.)

Sitting next to someone on an airplane when you’re obese (err, at least when you’re obese and your name is Kenz) creates the kind of dread that I cannot begin to express. And unless you’re fat (or have ever been fat) you just cannot possibly understand.

So when I arrive at the airport tomorrow, I will look for a customer service agent who seems polite and ask if there is anyone in the seat next to me. If so, I will ask if there is a seat on the plane in which the seat next to me could be free.

If I can sit alone then I’ll take a deep breath and be extremely thankful. If I have to sit next to someone then I will pre-board, ask for the seat belt extension, take my window seat then stay seated until the plane lands. And I will hope, with all of my being that the person next to me understands.

After all, I don’t spill over into the next seat. I can even put the arm rest down if my neighbor wants to be a jackass wants to use the tiny armrest. But I hate the thought of crowding someone, especially someone who seems bothered by it. And believe me, I’ve been seated next to those people (thankfully not many times.)

I will never be able to explain to anyone how difficult it is to hope that no one causes a scene on a plane due to my size. And I will never be able to help anyone comprehend how it feels to wish for nothing more than to be invisible.

But I am going to get on a plane in a few hours because life will not wait for me to achieve my goals. The difference this time is that I know I’ll be smaller next time. I’m 37 pounds smaller this time, and I look forward to the day when I will no longer need a seat belt extension. Until then, wish me luck because I’m definitely going to need it tomorrow.

jenjen
    August 5, 2009 at 6:42 am

Kenz —
    You are such an inspiration to me. You have such a great attitude and so much energy. I am always in awe of how busy you are.

Have a wonderful trip!

XOXO
    Jen

♥ Kenz ♥
    August 5, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Jen! 🙂 I am just ready to land at my destination! 🙂

Goldie
    August 5, 2009 at 2:07 pm

You keep up the good work and before you know it people will be asking to sit next to you. Have a great vacation and we will miss you on Thursday. Luv ya

Connie Weiss
    August 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Good Luck!

I barely fit in the seat. And it makes me dread flying….

Have a great trip!

Allyson
    August 5, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I am so proud of you for writing something like this. It takes so much courage to put that into words for the world to see. I am so inspired by you! I can "hear" that determination inside you, and you'll meet your goals in no time. Keep rockin' girl!

Stopping over from EM:ME 🙂

Sara
    August 5, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Hope you have a great trip! I have never been in a plane, but I Feel your pain. I dont even try to ride amusement park rides, because I dont know if I will fit, or not. Once I had to have my on seat in a roller coaster, I was so embarrassed, I couldnt sit by my husband! I wish yo uall the luck

Becca @ The Texas Darlings
    August 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm

You are so positive!! Always stay this way!!

And have a great trip!!

~Becca

LyndiLou
    August 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm

You struck a cord with me… and I can't even personally relate. I've heard my Mom worry about where she will sit on a plane and dreads flying (especially alone). I admire your courage… love your positive an relistic view of things and am going to have to tell her to come over here and be friends with you. You are AWESOME! Thank you for sharing yourself with us. I know you don't know me… but I'm glad I know this little part of you! 🙂

Trudy
    August 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I love the positive attitude you have, it always shines through no matter what you're talking about. And I can totally relate to the plane thing…except I didn't know they had extensions for seat belts!!!! I always had to squeeze it in!

Scrappy Girl
    August 6, 2009 at 12:49 pm

This post makes me want to give you a great big hug. I am not unfamiliar with the panic of worrying if you are too big for something. I avoid amusement parks like the plague! Hope everything goes great on the flight…

Funnyrunner
    August 7, 2009 at 3:02 am

Wow, Kenz. That's a difficult subject area to tackle. I don't think enough people think about it from your perspective. If it were easy to lose weight, there wouldn't be a multi-million dollar weight loss industry! I was recently on a flight where the poor lady sitting next to me did not fit into her seat and neither armrest could go down and I know she must have felt horrible. She was a beautiful lady!

Have a fabulous trip and congratulations on the progress!

♥Amber Filkins♥
    August 19, 2009 at 6:13 am

Hey girl, I'm a little late commenting on this, especially seeing as you're already home. I started reading at the beach {I think it was there} and ended up having to close it out before I could finish.

I also admire your positive attitude, courage and honesty. You are SUCH an inspiration. And I am so excited for your next plane trip, whenever that shall be, because I know you will be that much closer to your goal, and that much more at ease to fly.

♥ Amber