Patting Myself On The Back…

I lost 7.5 pounds while I was on vacation. I was nervous because eating at Mom’s house is a little addictive. She makes the best seafood gumbo ever, and she smothers pork roast in a way that makes me want to eat the whole (totally gigantic) pot.

I exercised about half of the days I was there. I walked several laps a day around the track and sweated like I’ve never sweated before….love that southern humidity. 😉

I also ate sensible portions when I ate the home cooking. And one night, when we were out for dinner, I ate 3 bowls of salad before eating the main course – chicken alfredo. While I have to admit that it’s not nearly as good as the alfredo I can eat in New York, it was still very tasty. I could have easily eaten more. But I reminded myself how good it would feel to step on the scale knowing that at least I tried. And I was right.

This summer has been a summer of fun and travels. And earlier today I realized that I travel a lot…Vacations are for having fun, enjoying time with friends and/or family…relaxing at the beach then splashing in the waves, trying new hobbies and even being adventurous.

Throughout my travels I’ve learned that I can have the fun everyone else is having and feel satisfied without overeating. There’s no reason to change habits that make me feel good because I’m in a different zip code. I actually didn’t miss out on any of the fun either during the 30 minutes a day I spent exercising.

When I stepped on the scale yesterday I was amazed. And I felt proud of myself, at the moment, for living a different lifestyle…one in which I’m in control. And that feeling is still better than any second serving of pork roast or fried foods or cake…

Scrappy Girl
    August 22, 2009 at 12:43 am

Wow! Congrats on the loss…very impressive. It is always so hard to stick to my diet when I go to my mom's house…she makes such yummy things.

Trudy
    August 22, 2009 at 1:11 am

You are such an inspiration! Congratulations on the weight loss and keep up the great work!

Funnyrunner
    August 22, 2009 at 1:45 am

My GOSH you inspire me. I ALWAYS gain weight on vacation. I have just been trying to lose a measly 5 pounds for the past 3 years… finally was making some progress until I went on vacation this August…. trying again now. 🙂

I'm proud of you!

LyndiLou
    August 22, 2009 at 3:57 am

Oh… you are SOOO good! I'm proud of you for staying so disciplined on vacation… that's HARD to do! Youre awesome!!!

Shannon Fab Fattie
    August 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I have seriously been stressing about a vacation in Sept. It is a camping weekend with my side of the family and it is always full of food. You have me realize that I can still enjoy myself but have to be smart enough to make good decisions.
    It really is up to all of us 🙂

Fran
    August 23, 2009 at 10:15 am

This is really a great result! You have every right to pat yourself on your back! Congrats!

And at the same time you're an example for me that holidays don't have to mean gain weight! I'll keep that in mind!

Have a nice Sunday!