Discipline Friends

Do You Wear A Black Robe?

It is not okay to mock someone for being black.  It is not okay to shout homosexual slurs.  We do not openly criticize those who are alcoholics. Nor is it politically correct to judge those who are socioeconomically challenged.  But it seems acceptable, at least in the world around me, to judge, criticize and berate those who are obese.
I have friends who are thin, beautiful and seemingly perfect.  And I have friends who are not-so-thin, hard working and motivated.  My friend, Monica, has been on diet after diet most of her life, trying to fit into a size 10 while my friend, Katie, comfortably wears an extra small (and looks great in a bikini) without setting foot into a gym.
Katie definitely gets more attention than Monica which is okay because everyone has a right to their preferences.  But we all have a right to be treated with basic, human decency.  And that means whether someone is a little overweight or morbidly obese, it should unacceptable to belittle that person because they don’t look how you think they should look.
Everyone has a story.  And some of us (like me) work hard to change what we don’t like about ourselves.  And I’ve lost about 45 pounds already! But that doesn’t mean a thing to the woman who walks by me in a department store or the person in the car who yells at me as I power walk around the block.
I’ll keep working hard to lose weight because that’s what I want to do.  But I’m not doing it to appease strangers who may or may not be forced to sit next to me on an airplane.  I’m doing it because I want to be light on my feet.  I also want to feel pretty and to be healthy.  And I don’t need any negative “motivation” to help me reach my goal.
I’m lucky to have supportive and loving people in my life.  They are the ones who will always be there, and they’re the ones who will help me celebrate the little milestones on my journey.
But to those of you who would seek to tear me down or judge me without knowing me, think on this…”We judge others by their actions, and ourselves by our intentions.” Perhaps it would be wise to consider that maybe I am trying.  And maybe you should also remind yourself that it’s none of your business anyway.
**Names have been changed to protect the awesomeness that is my friends.**

Patty Rose
    September 14, 2009 at 2:24 am

Kenz:
    I find it so sad that there are such narrow minded, shallow people in the world. You are one strong woman to continue in the face of adversity. Yea for you! I applaud you and your progress; every step you take, calorie you count, blog you post, tear you shed and smile you share. Keep in mind the things that will be the result of all your very hard work. A healthier heart, stronger bones and muscles, free flowing oxygen in your body…all the things that really count!
    Congratulations on the 50 pounds lost!!
    Patty

Anonymous
    September 14, 2009 at 2:46 am

It's not fair that fat people get made fun of, but maybe you should just stop being fat.

Patty Rose
    September 14, 2009 at 3:21 am

A real person would have the courage to post their identity after a comment! To remain anonymous is coward!
    Patty

Anonymous
    September 14, 2009 at 3:48 am

A real person shouldnt let thiemselves go like that.

Lindylew
    September 14, 2009 at 4:08 am

And some people shouldn't feel so "entitled" as to render judgment on a person's life. I pity Mr./Mrs. Anonymous for not have something better to do than render their opinions in bad taste on a person's blog. I'm sorry that someone did not take the time to teach you manners when you were growing up. You can debate the philosophical all the you want, but it comes down to pure manners and presenting your "opinions" to other people with dignity, and you, have lost yours.

I applaud you Kenz for continuing to reach for your goals, and doing a very good job of doing so. Thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us 🙂

jenjen
    September 14, 2009 at 4:31 am

I love you Kenz! You are an inspiration to me. Always so positive. You work so hard and motivate so many people.

Keep up the good work. I *heart* you!

XOXO
    Jen

Dee
    September 14, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Congratulations on your weight loss, and AMEN to everything you've said! You are an inspiration to those of us also trying to lose weight – and like you said – for ourselves, not for others…. to be healthy, to feel free, to feel beautiful, inside ourselves!

LyndiLou
    September 15, 2009 at 7:35 am

Keep up the hard work! I admire you for doing it for yourself! Plenty of people give up because of the rotton voices and words around them… but you just keep going for you! That's perfect! You're great!

Connie Weiss
    September 15, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Hey Kenz!

I can't believe that someone would comment like they did. I'm truly shocked.

You are doing so great and you are such an inspiration to me!