Accomplishments Beauty Emotions Reflection

Standing On The Sidelines

Looking back over the last few years I realize that I’ve spent a lot of time standing on the sidelines because of how I look. Don’t get me wrong. I still spent a lot of time doing fun things, but now I see that more often than not there was a tinge of hesitance brought on by the fact that I’m overweight.

There are still certain activities that I cannot do like ride a roller coaster or a go cart. But there’s so much that I can enjoy, and I’m happy to say that I enjoyed all kinds of activities this weekend.

I went to an outdoor wedding, a BBQ/pool party and a bar Mitzvah among other things. And today, while I was drinking champagne and dancing the day away with my boyfriend, I realized that I didn’t really care what the people around me thought. And I began to notice that many around me were acting carefree and silly too. And Saturday, while I was in the pool, we were all so busy having fun that I didn’t have time to feel self-conscious.

I still have a long way to go on my weight-loss journey, but after losing 47 pounds I KNOW that I can do it. And accomplishing what I have accomplished so far has given me a sense of empowerment. If you know me on a personal level, then you know I’m already very confident in other parts of my life. But it is such an amazing feeling to feel good about jumping around on the dance floor and doing flips in the pool with friends.
Several weeks ago I heard a quote that has had quite an impact on me.

“A year from now you’ll probably wish you had started today.”
I am so excited to look back next April to see how far I’ve come. I have already gained so much by losing weight, and I know it’s going to keep getting better.
Life is a gift, but it’s not going to wait for us to feel perfect about ourselves. Time moves quickly, and we can either embrace it or miss out on it forever. I choose to enjoy as much of it as possible. And by living a healthy lifestyle, I’m doing what I can to be sure I enjoy it as long as possible.

Stay@homemommy
    September 8, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Congratulations on your weight loss! I am currently working on losing a bit myself.

Char
    September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

speaking of dancing… want to change up our Thursday night routine a little? One of my favorite bands is playing… let me know if you are interested! I think they go on at 10.

Mom
    September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

so true and I am so proud of you; I want you to live life as long as possible; and 47 pounds is a remarkable feat. I love you. MOM

Goldie
    September 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Looks likeyou had a lot of fun. I just can't think of you being anywhere that you were not the life of the party. See you on Thursday

Fran
    September 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Wow! I love the last sentences of your post today!

It's how I see life and how I try to live life.

You're a beautiful inspiring woman: on the inside AND the outside!

Christy
    September 8, 2009 at 11:53 pm

That was so beautifully written. You go girl! I have not known you very long, but I have always seen only confindence in you. Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration to us all!

LyndiLou
    September 9, 2009 at 4:39 am

Keep it up!!! Your blog makes me sooo happy to read! Thanks!

Fran
    September 9, 2009 at 9:29 am

Hai there, it's me again 🙂

I'm just curious as you are a New Yorker. This week is a celebration week in NY, it's been 400 years since NY has been discovered by the Dutch. For that reason our royal family is visiting NY. Here on Dutch tv there's a lot of news about that, what they are doing etc.

I'm wondering: did you notice that there is something "special" going on in your city?
    F.e. to honor our royals they had the empire state building colored orange for a few hours.

Just being curious 😆

Ginger
    September 10, 2009 at 2:45 am

You're inspirational! Love the pics!

Yum Yucky
    September 14, 2009 at 12:22 am

Dang it! You did a whole bunch of extra fun stuff this weekend and I'm kinda jealous. Argh! (but glad you had a blast)