Dating Emotions Friends Lifestyle Love New York City

Would You Date Someone Who Is Shorter Than You?

I’ve had good luck (or judgment) in dating for the most part. I’ve dated guys who could be described as sincere, honest, loyal, successful and smart. They’ve all been pretty handsome too – and tall. I’m 5′ 4″ so it’s not hard to date guys who are taller than me, but sometimes that’s not enough.

Almost immediately after moving to The City that Never Sleeps, I found myself interested in a guy that was (maybe) 5′ 6″ and 120 pounds. Can you imagine? He had one of the most beautiful faces I’d ever seen. He said he loved me, kissed me every time I saw him and even introduced me to his parents. But we both knew that he was too small, more importantly, I was too big for us to work out in a dating relationship. We continued to be friends for a while, but in the end, we both moved on to new relationships. And I realize now that it had to be this way because I was so unhappy around him. I turned into this blob of insecurity who could never really change what I didn’t like about myself because I was so busy feeling bad about it.

Being with taller guys, even as friends, helps me feel smaller which is totally important now. I’m not small, but I want to be. And I’m working on it, but until then I’d still like to feel feminine. I do what I can. And the truth is that dating a taller guy who has broad shoulders, sculpted arms and a big heart makes me feel more secure than someone who has an equally big heart and a little body. While my boyfriend is not super tall, he’s tall enough to keep me from feeling self-conscious walking down the street with him. And, of course, he’s smokin’ hot. 😉

Am I alone in this or does anyone agree that dating a tall guy makes them feel smaller?

Would you date someone who is shorter than you?

What helps you feel feminine in a body that is bigger than average?

Heather's Hacienda
    September 15, 2009 at 5:12 am

I have ALWAYS dated guys that were taller than me. Not because I was bigger, because back in the day I was a stick (gag)! But now that I am married, I love my husbands height. I am 5'5" and he is 5'10". It is just right. He has broad shoulders and is very muscular. It does help NOW that I am bigger that he gives off the image that he is bigger than me even though he isn't. Does that make sense?? I don't think I could do the shorter than me thing because I am already short! hehe!

LyndiLou
    September 15, 2009 at 7:28 am

I agree with you… but I found that out the opposite way. I dated someone shorter than me and everyone thought that was odd. The relationship was unhealthy on many different levels… sooo I'm very glad to be out of it… but sadly people always asked me questions about why I was dating him since I was "bigger" than him. I subconsciously took that the wrong way. I was taller than him… but I wasn't "bigger" than him. I stopped eating right… and sometimes I stopped eating at all. I was young and didn't need to lose weight… but I lost nearly 20lbs in just a couple summer months. YUCK! NOT GOOD!

Sorry about the forever long comment. I agree with you that it's nice to feel safe, and small, and feminine around a big, strong, sweet man! 🙂

Sam
    September 15, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Ahh! Not to discriminate against shorter people, but my answer is most definitely "never"… But only because I'm 5' .. so I'm pretty bite-sized to begin with, hehe (I'd probably be hard-pressed to find guys shorter than me, actually lol)!

Thank you for the comment on my blog – I really like your background as well! I found mine at "The Cutest Blog On the Block" – here's the direct link if you were still interested: http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds/item/193/asInline.html

And, last but not least, I couldn't help but notice your awesome Yankee graphic floating around on the left side of the page .. hehee, go Yankees! =] It's nice to find another fan here and there!

Great blog!

– Sam =]

Connie Weiss
    September 15, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I always dated men that were taller than me…by several inches and I loved it.

Then I met the love of my life and he is only 2 inches taller. If I wear heels…he is shorter than me, so I rarely wear heels. 🙂

Keri
    September 15, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I totally agree with you…and I know I am not giving some really great guys a chance

jennykate77
    September 15, 2009 at 7:38 pm

You're so cute. I love this. I haven't thought about this in a while, b/c I've been married for the last 11 years, but when I was dating I always went for taller guys. My hubby is about 7 inches taller than me and I love it. He makes me feel safe and protected. (cheesy, I know) It totally makes sense to me!

Hope you're having a great day!♥

Chelle
    September 15, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I remember when I was younger I had dated a few guys that were on the shorter side. I was thin back then…and still felt big around them!

If I was the size I am now I wouldn't date a shorter guy…no way, no how! I'm trying hard enough to lose weight and I really think I would be so insecure around him.

BUT…my husband is 6 ft and I am 5'6…so he definitely is tall enough for me 🙂 And I love him even more when he tells me how much he loves me regardless of my size of jeans 😉 He's a keeper for sure!

Shauna
    September 16, 2009 at 3:07 am

My husband is shorter than me. I never really think about it. Oddly enough, I am attracted to tall men though. 🙂