Baby, It’s Cold Outside…And I Can Button My Coat!

It’s not easy to look at these pictures. When I see them it’s hard not to feel sad about where I was less than a year ago. And while I know I haven’t changed drastically on the outside yet, I have changed on the inside. And with those changes, I’ve begun seeing the fruits of my labor.

Last year, we had a very cold winter in New York. There was a lot of snow, a lot of wind and I needed to wear my coat most days. Below is a picture me, at the botanical gardens in the Bronx, wearing the coat that fit me best in January. It was too tight to button properly, but I was wearing the biggest coat I could buy from Avenue. And I did my best to make it work though as you can see, it was breezy in there.

I also wore this lighter trench on rainy days and days when the wool coat was too warm. I couldn’t button it either, but I tried to make it look as though I could if I needed to.

And now, six months after turning over a new leaf, it is getting cold again. It’s windy, and I can definitely feel fall in the air. Winter will be here before we know it, and I am so excited to say that I’ll be able to button every button on every coat I own. I’ll get to wear a cute scarf that matches as opposed to the heaviest ones I can find because they’ll be tucked away under the buttons on my buttoned coat.

It may not seem like much to someone who has never been extremely overweight, but it’s monumental to me. I will not have to brush off my friend who suggests I button my coat while fighting off tears in Midtown because I couldn’t button it if I tried. I will not have to pretend that I just like leaving it open. Nor will I have to worry about what I wear underneath because there is room now for the bulkiest of sweaters.

This accomplishment, though insignificant to some, gives me unspeakable pride. And it’s gives me unwavering confidence that I can do this. And just wait until next winter…because it’s only going to get better!

~ Dawn ~
    October 9, 2009 at 5:01 am

Girl….you look great!! I can totally see the weightloss. You inspire me. I have gained 20lbs since being laid off in Feb. I just gave up with trying to lose the weight but I know I can't stay this weight. I look at you and think if she can do, so can I. Great job and keep up the good work!!

Josh
    October 9, 2009 at 5:06 am

Congratulations! I'm happy for you : )

Steff
    October 9, 2009 at 5:07 am

You are the BOMB!!!!

♥ Kenz ♥
    October 9, 2009 at 5:08 am

Thanks you guys…and Dawn, it's true…there's nothing magical about what I'm doing.

I try to remember not to let what I want at the moment keep me from what I want most of all…:)

Slackey
    October 9, 2009 at 5:22 am

I have a green coat that I went through the same experience with- especially the pretending you just like to leave your coat unbuttoned or unzipped. It's so exciting when you have those kinds of victories!

Keep up all the good work. 🙂

Diz
    October 9, 2009 at 5:24 am

Kenz! You're a total inspiration! Congratulations- I love these pics. I love the jackets too, so cute!!!!

Deb Willbethin
    October 9, 2009 at 10:52 am

Oh, Beth! Look at YOU!!! Such a meaningful milestone–and at the perfect time of the year! It would have been good anythime, but how great is it that the coats FIT just as it's getting cold! God is good–and you've worked hard. I'm just thrilled for you. At your age, I weighed 255–so I know a little of how hard it can be–and remember the shame of it. Right now, I also feel the joy for you!! Awesome.

B
    October 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Fantastic! Keep it up!

New England Girl
    October 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm

What an AWESOME achievement!!! 🙂 I don't even know you, but I am SO proud of you. You look fantastic and those coats look amazing on you! 🙂

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love your background 😉 I'm excited to get to look around yours. As for how far The Quabbin is from NYC, it's located in the Belchertown/Amherst/Ware area of Western MA, so not really all that far! I'd estimate about a 2 hour drive, but oh so worth it. Plus, there are so many other great things to see/do around the area. if you ever decide to make the trip, let me know!! 🙂

mellisarock
    October 9, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I am glad that you posted some pictures from before your weight loss…you can really see the changes on "the outside" as you say!! Your coat looks fabulous in that last picture!! Good for you!!

hillary
    October 9, 2009 at 3:31 pm

congrats! I am so happy and proud for you!

Suzie
    October 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Keep posting pictures. This is great. I do not even know you, and I couldn't be happier for you!

♥Amber Filkins♥
    October 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm

That is SO awesome girl!! You're doing so great. Pretty soon you're going to be replacing those jackets completely with new, smaller ones. Rock on girl!! 🙂

Fran
    October 9, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Next winter? That's the winter you definitely have to buy a new coat because these are way too big!

Great achievement!

Ms. O
    October 10, 2009 at 1:12 am

That is awesome! It's not something that average weight people even have to think about, but those of us carrying around extra weight can totally related and we're so proud of you!!

lynne b. [my life in blog]
    October 10, 2009 at 4:26 am

congrats. i know this is the best feeling, ever! 🙂 im happy for you!!!!!! you look wonderful!

Anonymous
    October 10, 2009 at 3:07 pm

WOW You look fabulous! Keep up the excellent work.

Lilee
    October 11, 2009 at 9:23 am

nice blog! love the coats!

jennykate77
    October 11, 2009 at 1:31 pm

You're doing AH-mazing!! Isn't it wonderful when you can tell that you've lost weight through the clothes (and coats) that you wear. Sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated and like I'm not doing very good (on the verge of giving up or making a HUGE mistake), I try on some old pants or jeans and realize that I can almost pull off my old jeans without unbuttoning them. It's such a boost and gives me new determination. I know you have to feel soooooo good about your coats fitting loser and buttoning all the way up!! Congrats!! Keep up the good work!

Hope you're having a great weekend!