Keeping Myself Motivated

Words have a tremendous effect on me – good and bad. And over the last several months, I have done my best to use only encouraging and loving words even with myself.

A few weeks ago, I really needed to get back into my happy, weight shedding groove, and I used words to remind myself to do what I knew I should do. And it worked! I weigh-in on Thursdays, and I needed to remind myself that I want to step on the scale with confidence not excuses.

So I went to Barnes & Noble, picked out the cutest notepad I could find and wrote what I wanted to remember throughout the week. I needed to remind myself that I want to weigh less on Thursdays when I step on the scale…so I bought a Vera Bradley notepad, and taped a reminder to the kitchen cabinet that contains all kinds of snacks. It reminds me that I can and should say no to myself sometimes.

Then I taped a brilliant message I read earlier in the week on my refrigerator. “Don’t think about the limitations; think about the possibilities.” It seems like something we should all do by default, but during those moments that I wish I could eat regular ice cream as opposed to half a cup of low-fat ice cream or sit on the sofa with a bag of chips instead of counting out 16 and logging 3 points in my food journal, I remind myself how incredible the results have been so far. And I think about the things I’ll be able to enjoy because of the work I’m putting into making myself healthy now.

I am doing my best because I want to live longer, feel prettier, dance without feeling self-conscious, jog in Central Park on a Sunday afternoon in the Spring, ride my bike along the Hudson River, ice skate near my office because people look so happy when they’re doing it. I want to wear Armani jeans, look amazing in my wedding dress (you know, when it’s time to get married and all) and wear knee length boots. I want to sit in a theater seat on Broadway or at a Yankees game – and have extra room in my seat. I want to sit on an airplane without worrying that I might crowd the person next to me, and I want to wear a bathing suit that I can feel confident in when I’m on amazing vacations…:)

I’m so blessed already, but if I keep eating well and exercising, it will keep getting better. And the results are definitely worth more than ice cream or Oreos or laying around instead of doing cardio for 30 minutes.

Life is good. And I am making a conscious effort to see it and remember it that way even on those days that I feel lazy or hungry for junk food or just bored. Because I have no intention of letting what I want for a fleeting moment keep me from reaching a goal that will help me live life to the fullest.

What keeps you motivated? Am I the only one who gives myself pep talks on a regular basis? 🙂

KT
    October 28, 2009 at 7:42 am

I love your motivation and you are a true inspiration! I have something for you at my blog.

Katie

emmayeats
    October 28, 2009 at 12:31 pm

That is really inspirational! I also post myself little messages to stay motivated. Keep up the amazing work! Love your blog!

Shawn
    October 28, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I love your little notes!

I have taped a very unflattering picture of myself on the pantry door with a note that just said HUNGRY? before. It worked wonders!

Keep up the good work. Being healthy and happy is far more important than what size jeans you wear!

~S

New England Girl
    October 28, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Awesome idea. 🙂 I love finding ways to keep myself inspired and motivated… I might just have to steal this one from you! 😉

♥Amber Filkins♥
    October 28, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I don't know, but your pep talk sure worked for me! It's hard not to give in to wanting to just lay around & watch TV or look at blogs & such. And really hard not to give in to junk food.

Love your notes too! I need to start doing that. Maybe it will help me too.

Thanks for the inspiration!

lifeshouldbestereo
    October 28, 2009 at 4:15 pm

What a lovely post! I hadn't thought of putting up notes for myself. Great idea!
    You know what, I shall come back to YOUR post when I need extra motivation. Well said 🙂

~ Dawn ~
    October 28, 2009 at 8:04 pm

You ROCK girl!! Your motivation makes me feel motivated. Now can you just come here and kick my butt into shape?! LOL!! Keep up the good work!

Diz
    October 29, 2009 at 5:12 am

Of course you're not the only one who gives yourself pep talks! Like I've said on other people's blogs- ultimately, this challenge comes down to us- by ourselves. So why wouldn't we talk to ourselves? Pep ourselves up? Pick ourselves up from off the ground when we're down? Yesterday I was NOT feeling the diet thing. But I said to myself- you know what D? You will have days you're not feeling it (like today). But you don't get to use that as an excuse anymore. You will have to do it anyway. Just suck it up and do the things you need to do. And today I'm so glad I did it! I'm so glad I stayed on track anyway and even though I wasn't feeling it, I kept on. That's what this journey is about- not giving up when times get tough. Not giving up and keeping the prize in mind. And it sounds like you're in full on rampage mode. I'm so proud of you- keep up the great work! You deserve everything you've listed and more. You are so beautiful and great Kenz- You DO deserve to live life to the fullest and not sit out anymore. I know you will get to your goal and be happy. And I can't wait!!!

Becca @ The Texas Darlings
    October 29, 2009 at 7:40 pm

You are such an inspiration!!
    keep up the determination- I am proud of you!!!

~Becca

mellisarock
    November 2, 2009 at 3:40 pm

What a great way to motivate yourself!! I love the pretty little notes!!