My New Set of Wheels

After months of wishing I could do it, I rode my very own bicycle last week.  After shopping for a bike that would be cute, sturdy and comfortable I chose the Raleigh Venture 4.0, and I LOVE it.

I was worried, several months ago, that I would literally crush the frame of the bike with my weight, but I walked into the store (over 50 pounds lighter) and learned that my future bike would not have trouble supporting my weight.
While I’m not a pro yet, I can honestly tell you that it was so much fun to feel the wind in my hair. I feel so free…so liberated when I’m on my bike. I’m thankful to live in a bicycle-friendly city, and I can’t wait until I’m a confident rider who has no trouble zig zagging around other cyclists and obstacles.  Until then, I’ll just be happy that I’m trying — and doing well enough to want to do more.
This is an activity that I would not have attempted six months ago.  And it is such an incredible feeling to know that I’m improving my body and my mind.  And I’m not letting my weight keep me from living the life I want to live.

I’ve learned a lot in the last six months.  And one of the most important things I’ve learned is that I do not have to wait until I reach my goal to start enjoying the benefits of my efforts.  I do things now that I would not have done before, and I know it’s only going to get better.

I walk faster.  I exercise with purpose.  I buy clothes are stores that I couldn’t shop in when I started.  I choose the stairs instead of the elevator.  And I ride my bicycle.
Eating well and exercising is not always easy, but it is so worth it.

Chrissy MacCEO
    October 27, 2009 at 11:39 am

YOU are such an inspiration!! WAY TO GO!!!! I am so happy for you.

New England Girl
    October 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm

YOU are so AMAZING! 🙂 I am SO SO SOOOO happy for you! And you look awesome on your new bike! I hope it gives you many years of good fun and pleasure. 🙂 Congrats!!!

AndyandLex
    October 27, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Hey girl – SO proud of you! I know this takes a ton of effort so GO YOU!!! Just found your blog this morning so I'll be following you… XO

Connie Weiss
    October 27, 2009 at 4:26 pm

That is a beautiful bike! So glad you found something you love to do!

Diz
    October 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm

You look so cute on your bike, I love it! Congrats Kenz- what a huge accomplishment.

Marylou
    October 27, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I love your new bike! Props to you for taking life by the handle bars! 🙂

jennykate77
    October 27, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Awesome new bike!!! Riding a bike does make you feel free, huh? It really feels good to have the wind blow through your hair. I love to ride down hills w/ my feet off the pedals. 😛 I need a new bike bad. Mine has definitely seen better days.

Hope you're having a great week!♥

Fran
    October 27, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Great bike! You look fabulous on it.

You would fit in here in Holland very well. Holland is a bike country, almost everybody's got one (so do I). There are bicycle paths almost everywhere.

Enjoy your bike and the wind through your hair.

Heather B.
    October 27, 2009 at 9:43 pm

What an awesome bike! You look great on it! Super proud of you!!

Grace
    October 27, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Very nice bike Kenz! I too am into bike riding, and was worried that my weight at 345 (now 330) would be too much, but I just ended up getting a Walmart Huffy Cruiser and it has worked fine. I was riding about 5 miles a day but have declined since the weather has changed. Anyway, my only advice is to maybe look into buying a "no pressure points" seat (they sell them at most sports stores and walmart). Anyway, the pressure of my weight against a regular bike seat would cause very uncomfortable numbing and bruising in very uncomfortable places! The no pressure bike seat is more of a rectangular shape and provides enough support and no pain! Anyway have a great time riding and congratulations!!!

Deb Willbethin
    October 28, 2009 at 5:47 am

Hey, Kenz!

I love your posts. This time you hit on something I've been thinking about over the last couple of days: not doing what I'd like to do because I'm so fat. I've done that all of my life, and when I found a picture the other day of myself with my husband from 40 years ago (It's on my blog.), that realization just broke my heart.

I looked at that girl who thought she was too fat to do things and wondered, "Where is all of that fat I was so ashamed of!?" I sold myself short and now 40 years have been lost.

I wanted to shout,and then hug you,when I read this post. Good for you! You're cutting yourself a break NOW. You're living your life, now. I'm so glad for you.

And, thanks for reminding me that although I have lost a lot of opportunities, I can start to live my life NOW rather than waiting until I'm at my goal weight.

My husband has been wanting me to get a bike for years…years. I wouldn't cause I was too fat. sigh. This spring, I'm gettin that bike!

Your a gem, Kenz!

Deb

mellisarock
    November 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm

YAHHHHH! You and your bike are looking amazing!! Makes me want to get one too!!