Emotions Family Friends

Wishing Dad Was Here

I live far away from my family, and though I talk to my parents almost everyday I miss them terribly. And tonight, I wish my dad could be here with me.

One of my dearest friends in New York — anywhere really, lost her mother last night. She passed away as my girlfriends and I were on our way to visit. And when we arrived at the hospital, all I could do was think of my dad and how he would know just what to say. He was a minister when I was growing up, and he has this natural ability to calm people in the most horrible circumstances. In my opinion, it’s one of his most prized gifts.

I’m so lucky because both of my parents are just a phone call away. And though it doesn’t seem like much on the days I miss them, I realize on days like this that I am so blessed to know that I’ll visit them again soon or that Dad will fly up for Christmas. I’m also thankful for mobile-to-mobile phone calls and free nationwide long distance, seriously.

My friend’s mother was in terrible pain, but she knew just how much she was loved by her only daughter. And there is no doubt in my mind that the love was returned equally.

If you love someone, tell them. Don’t assume they know, and don’t shy away from saying it because life is a gift. And part of that gift is knowing that there’s someone in the world who will love you unconditionally.

I want to be an example of someone who loves without conditions and isn’t afraid to say it. I love you Dad…and I love you too Mom. And I love you Sis…And I hope I show you daily…

If you’re a person who prays, I know I’ve asked a lot of you lately…but please pray for my friend today…this week…and in the coming weeks. Thanks..

♥Amber Filkins♥
    October 20, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Oh, so sorry for your loss. And especially for your friend's loss. That is so sad.

I love what you say about your dad. He sounds like an awesome man.

Sweet post, Kenlie. I'll be saying some prayers.

♥ Kenz ♥
    October 20, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Amber…My dad is pretty awesome. Thanks for praying for my friend…

Fran
    October 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your friends loss.

I often wish my Dad was here too but I'm sad to say I've lost him over 9 years ago and still miss him.

So enjoy and love your family but as I can read you do that already.

New England Girl
    October 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I'm so sorry for your and your friend's loss. How heartbreaking.

I loved your words today. Your father seems like a wonderful man and it is always so good to remember and express all of the feelings of love and gratitude you have for those special people in your lives.

Happy Tuesday. xoxo.

Chelle
    October 21, 2009 at 3:09 am

I am so sorry for her loss. I cannot imagine the pain that she must be feeling right now…

Your father sounds like such an amazing person. I count my blessings every single day that I have both of my parents.

Anonymous
    October 21, 2009 at 7:40 pm

though i've not yet met charlene, my heart aches for her and she is in my prayers.
    here at home , i went to the local funeral home to pay my respects to a family who lost a vibrant, full of life 3 year old boy, named cooper. for those who pray remember coopers family as they say goodbye thursday morning. thanks.
    love you kenz!
    dad

♥ Kenz ♥
    October 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm

It's good to know you were somewhere you were needed. See you at Christmas Dad..Love you.

And thanks to everyone who is praying for my friend. I'm going to the wake in a few….God bless her..