My Heart Is Racing…

And I know what my heart rate is because I got an awesome heart monitor today. ๐Ÿ™‚ My recumbent bike has one, but it doesn’t give me much information. And I use one at the gym, but I need one that is reliable when I’m out on my bicycle or walking. And because I used it earlier, I know that my heart rate was at 162 for most of my time on the treadmill. I would have known that anyway if I had just read the monitor on the treadmill, but now I know because I looked at my watch. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m also going to try using a pedometer tomorrow. I honestly have no idea how many steps I should be taking each day, but I’d like to find out how many steps I’m taking. We’ll see how that goes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Do you monitor your heart rate? And do you monitor your steps per day?

Deb Willbethin
    November 11, 2009 at 6:50 am

Hey, Kenz. I'd like to wear a pedometer, but I haven't been able to find one that is both accurate and affordable. Let me know what you come across. The ones I've used so far record a step every time I move back and forth in my seat! I don't think the steps I travel on my bottom behind the desk ought to count. ๐Ÿ™‚ They say one should walk at least 10,000 steps a day for it to count as a health improver. Deb

Deb Willbethin
    November 11, 2009 at 6:53 am

P.S. Like the new blog design. Fresh. Happy. Deb

KT
    November 11, 2009 at 7:23 am

Agreed 10,000 steps is what you should aim for. I used to have a pedometer and I wore it daily but it was not accurate at all so I stopped. I would love to have a good one. Awesome that you have a heart rate monitor. I love mine!

Bethany
    November 11, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I want to get one but just haven't made the jump yet.

Divine Mrs D
    November 11, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I have a pedometer. It's pretty cool and I got it through work. It's not one that goes on your shoe, but on your hip. It's amazing how many steps I take in a day. One day, I took 33,400 steps. That's burning over 1,000 calories! Ridiculous.

It's $25 and I can send you the website if you want to look it up. I think you can just get it on your own…

Heather B.
    November 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I use to wear a pedometer when I was a server! It is AMAZING how many steps I took in just one 5 hour shift! Too bad it didn't make me skinny!! LOL!!! Now I need to get a new one because my old one broke! ๐Ÿ™ I also do monitor my heart rate but I just use the monitor on the treadmill at the gym! Not too sure if it is exactly accurate but I feel physically ok, so it is doing something right! Still so proud of you for taking this journey. You are truly and inspiration! Hope you know that!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Nicolasa
    November 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Great idea. A few people that I know have recently started wearing things like this.

erintakescontrol
    November 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I use a pedometer and track it daily. I aim for 10 thousand but usually it's much higher!

Fran
    November 11, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I have been wearing a pedometer for a few weeks but I don't like it on my clothes, it gets in the way because I'm usually wearing clothes that are kind of bodyfit.

My heart rate monitor however I can't without. Everytime I workout, no matter what I use it.
    At running my heart rate is still too high, working on that but in the gym I can control my heart rate much better.

Have fun with both items!

Jen
    November 12, 2009 at 12:44 am

I would love an HRM but I take Atenolol, which is supposed to suppress your heart rate so if the medicine is doing its job, my heart rate should be lower while working out and it is : ( My doctor assures me I am working out just as heard but my heart rate doesn't show it.