Things That Make It A Little Easier

I am not someone who falls for every weight loss gimmick. I’ve never been on a ‘diet.’ And this is the first time I’ve ever attempted to change my eating habits by creating healthy ones. So I’m not one of those people who buys diet books or every new diet tool, but I have purchased a few things that make portion control much easier.

Having a digital food scale to measure food is helpful because it’s hard to know how much you’re really eating if you’re not measuring it. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $30.00. It fits into the drawer where I keep my serving utensils so I have easy access as I prepare meals.
And speaking of serving utensils, after several weeks of wondering whether or not I should buy it, I purchased the Easy Measuring Set by Weight Watchers. The price on Amazon is astronomical so I don’t recommend buying them online. I bought them at my Weight Watchers Meeting last week for $19.99. And I have already used them several times.

When I measured food previously, I used measuring cups which works too. But I prefer using these lovely serving spoons because it just feels more normal, and they work for everyone at the table. You can, of course, measure food without these, but it was definitely worth the $$ for me to have accurate, full-sized serving utensils.

What do you do to make your healthy lifestyle a little smoother? If you have tips I hope you’ll share them with me because I’m in favor of anything that makes it easier to form healthy, sustainable habits.

November 4, 2009 at 5:29 am

That scale is very awesome! What a great tool in making portions more even. I love that!

I hope you are having a great week. You always inspire me to be healthier and enjoy life!

♥ Kenz ♥
    November 4, 2009 at 5:40 am

Aw Jen, you're soooooooooooo sweet! I'm so lucky to know you!

~ Dawn ~
    November 4, 2009 at 6:13 am

I didn't know about those serving spoons, I like them. What a good idea! I look up to you, you are doing so well. I can't get out of my habits and I just love food. I know one day it will just click for me and then everything will fall into place. BTW..I loved your bakers costume…too cute!!

♥Amber Filkins♥
    November 4, 2009 at 6:26 am

I think those spoons from WW are the coolest thing. Maybe I should get some??

I think the scale is fabulous too!

You inspire me too!!

♥ Kenz ♥
    November 4, 2009 at 6:47 am

You girls are soooooo great! 🙂 And yah, the spoons are pretty awesome should consider it. Just don't pay more than 20. Look for them in a meeting, and if they don't have them let me know, and I'll get them for you. None of this $49.00 on amazon garbage. 🙂

Chrissy MacCEO
    November 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I've seen those measuring cups at WW before but never thought about how I could use them as serving spoons, too! I love that idea!!

♥ Kenz ♥
    November 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

hey are perfect to use as serving spoons because that's really what they are. They're just specific sizes. 🙂 They're my new favorite thing..totally.

November 4, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I have 3 food scales. 2 at home and one that fits in my purse. I couldn't of done it without it. We weigh EVERYTHING!

♥ Kenz ♥
    November 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm

You have one that fits into your purse? That is amazing. What kind is it? I'd love to have one…

November 4, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I follow your blog. 🙂 I actually like to read several blogs because they keep me motivated and keep me learning new things about weight loss. You can never know it all!

November 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I LOVE my kitchen scale. I have a cool one that allows you to type in a code for any food (it comes with a book of codes) and based on the weight it will tell you exactly how many calories are in the portion on the scale, how much fat, how much fiber etc. I moved to Germany this summer and everything is measured in grams which really threw me off because I had no idea how much 30 grams of cereal is…Luckily my scale weighs in grams too so I use it everyday!