Discipline Healthy Living Lifestyle Sleep

Sleeping Habits

It is so easy for me to fall into a pattern of staying awake way too late. And it’s a terrible cycle to get into because it’s hard to work my way back into a healthy schedule.

I always stay up late, but I think I should be in bed by 1 am during the week — not 3 or 4. I was not even home by 1 am last night though I think I fell asleep around 2 am. I do not always stay awake that late, but I do it often enough to think about whether or not I should do it less. πŸ˜‰
Someone commented today on how much energy I have. It’s true – I already workout several times a week and do cardio with a smile on my face. Can you imagine how much more energy I’d have if I slept properly on a consistent basis?
(You’d probably have to click on the pic to read the fortunes my friend and
I received recently, but the top fortune
says “Come back later. I’m sleeping. Yes, cookies need their sleep too.”)
I work in a field that requires me to be alert and pretty precise so I’m going to make an effort to step it up a notch. I’m curious to see how I’ll feel if I sleep 8 hours each night over the next few weeks. I’ll post my results.
Am I the only one who stays awake too late? Do you have a sleep routine? If so, does it come easily or do you have to work at it?

Suzanne
    December 2, 2009 at 12:53 pm

If I lived in NYC, I'd be a night owl too! So how long did it take to get in the workout habit…that's what I need!

Fran
    December 2, 2009 at 2:27 pm

What time do you get up in the morning?

I need 7 hours of sleep a night. If I don't get it I slowly get more and more tired. So on weekdays I get up at 5.50 am and try to be in bed at 10.45 pm, or 11.00 pm at the latest. That way I have the energy I need for my work, my workouts and my social life.

Am curious if it makes a difference when you get your 8 hours of sleep.

Heather B.
    December 2, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I stay up WAY too late also, all the time. I used to be a server for many years and that was just the way of life. Now it is not so cool for how early I have to get up. My doc once told me that going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day was VERY important for our bodies. She said they need a schedule just like we do during the day! I can't say that I have ever done this but I have a friend that does and she has 100 times more energy than me. She goes to bed at 10pm and gets up at 6am EVERY day! Even Sat & Sun! So it must work, right???

Trudy
    December 2, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I just sleep a LOT now, pregnancy will do that to you. I am always asleep by 10 or 10:30pm and up at 6am. I am usually in bed watching TV or reading a book by 9pm if we're home.

Did you also know that getting regular sleep can help with weight loss? Get to bed earlier girl…it will take some time but you'll adjust soon enough!

New England Girl
    December 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm

WOW! I can't believe you sleep so little… I'm in bed by 10 or 11, and up at anywhere between 6 and 7… Currently job searching, I don't technically need that sleep for my employment purposes, but if I don't get it, I find I'm cranky, worn down and my body suffers big time. I think you should try and get more sleep, girl! Your body will thank you for it!

β™₯ Kenz β™₯
    December 2, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I'm usually not cranky or tired..and I have a lot of energy..but I suppose I'll have more if I try this. πŸ™‚ And Trudy and Heather, you made an interesting point about weight loss and schedules.

I don't think I'll ever be the person who goes to bed at 10:45. I mean, there's too much fun going on here for that to happen, but my goal will be 1 am for the next few weeks. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Diz
    December 2, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I totally believe in getting your 8 hours. Study after study shows that your immune system works better when you're fully rested, and your metabolism works better too! That's because your body is able to function at full capacity. That being said, I am not great about getting my 8 hours either. I'm not good at being on a schedule because I have too many things I like to do or make time to do that are late at night as well. This week, while doing my 20 days of Hot Yoga, I am attempting to go to bed on time so I can get up super early to do my yoga. Last night I went to bed on time but woke up at 3:30 for 2 hours, so obviously I didn't make it to hot yoga this morning. Maybe tomorrow. πŸ™‚ Post your results! I'd like to know if you do better!

Rhonda
    December 2, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Sleep is IMPORTANT! Some people can get by with less, but every one should be getting between 6-9 hours each night. I personally NEED 8! There for a while I got to where I was staying up till 1:00 or more. My body did not respond good. I've heard a schedule is important too and good for your body.

Getting enough sleep is important for losing weight!!! Google that, you will be amazed at what you might learn about that! Good luck! Now, I hit the sack around 10:00-10:30.

Deb Willbethin
    December 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Kenz, Appropriate sleep times are a problem for me, too. Left to my own devices, I'd hit the hay about 4a.m. I do my best work after midnight!

I keep trying to do better–especially since I have to be up by 7:30. This old gal wears out quick on less than 8 hours these days. I used to think 5 hours WAS a full night's sleep!

Funny, you should be writing about this now–I just decided (again) that I would be in bed by midnight NO MATTER WHAT! That's much harder for me than it should be… chuckle.

Good luck on your plan.

Deb

Nicolasa
    December 2, 2009 at 11:38 pm

WOW! If I went to bed at 1am I would just die.

I usually go to bed at 10/10:30 and am up at 6 and still feel tired. I wish I had your pep!

Connie Weiss
    December 3, 2009 at 4:41 am

I'm usually pretty good about getting to bed between 10-11pm. But now that my kid is resisting naps…I'm not getting stuff done in the afternoon like I used to and I stay up too late.

I'm lucky to be in bed by 11pm now.

Becca @ The Texas Darlings
    December 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm

WOW!! 1 am??? No way!! I have to get 6-8 hours of sleep and am in bed by 10 pm. I usually read for 45 mins or so, but I have to get up with 3 kids by 6! And I hate that alarm clock!!!

Get some sleep girlie!!!

~Becca

β™₯ Kenz β™₯
    December 3, 2009 at 5:15 pm

That's soooo early Becca! I don't get up at 6 am for anything except occasional early morning flights to tropical islands. πŸ™‚ That's an acceptable reason to be up that early in my book. πŸ™‚

I sleep 6 to 7 hours most nights, but we'll see if I can sleep longer. Last night not even close…I think I will start trying Sunday night since weekends are always late for me anyway.

Snowman
    December 3, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Going to bed earlier than midnight is a waste of life I think. You can sleep when you're older….live life now Kenz. I don't sleep much, weekends hardly any and you've seen what shape I'm in. Being tired is mental, if you live a vibrant life and fill it with exciting things you'll be too busy to be tired.

This whole going to bed at 10pm, 10.30pm is awful.

Ive seen you go to bed at 2am and get up at 7am and be fine, if that works, don't change it. You can try your little experiment but I think you'll just lay there and think about the things you're missing out on by sleeping.

One

G

B
    December 4, 2009 at 2:50 am

I am such a night owl! I despise the mornings. I could easily sleep in until noon every day if it weren't for the kids and responsibilities! I am always vowing to go to bed earlier too…even if its just once a week but it never seems to happen.

Steph
    December 4, 2009 at 3:49 am

ok everyone…The truth is K stays up late to help her not so computer savy friend put a website together. Once she gets started there is no stopping….Have to say, for the first website she designed it is very impressive. She lost many hours of sleep but is still running like the energizer bunny!!!!

β™₯ Kenz β™₯
    December 4, 2009 at 7:09 am

I know you're right G. You have definitely contributed to many late nights in my life, and I do bounce back pretty quickly. I'll try it, and see how it goes…but I won't even attempt to go to bed before 1. I mean, it's 2 am now, and I just got home. hehe