Just Saying

I workout hard because I believe that it’s the only way to make my body change. I have a long, long road ahead, but I’m happily moving forward. And I’ll keep taking it one day at a time until I start a different journey of maintaining my body’s healthy weight.

And while I don’t always feel like exercising, days like today make me so proud of who I’m becoming. Today, in addition to my regular work schedule, I completed Day 16 of the 30-Day Shred, hit the gym, came back and did 55 minutes of cardio, a few more sets of crunches then shredded again. I don’t usually shred twice per day, and I don’t plan on making that a habit. But I’ve done it a couple of times, and I’m amazed at just how much my body can handle.

I currently weigh 322.2 pounds, and my starting weight (in April ’09) was 393.6 pounds. I’ve never stated my weight before because it’s very personal. And I cannot believe that I’m in a place in which I’m comfortable enough with myself to share it with others, but I’m there. And I’ve been there for a while.

The reason I’m talking about it today is that I want everyone to know that if I can do crunches, lift weights, do (modified) pushups, static lunges with a bicep curl, squats, jumping jacks, jogging, bicycle crunches and other things at 322 pounds, then those of you who weigh 100 pounds less than me can probably do them too.

If you are not interested in losing weight or exercising then this does not apply to you. But if you want to lose weight, feel different and love the person you see in the mirror then know that you CAN do it too. If I can do it with a smile on my face then few will have an excuse.

I’m not nearly as big as I was, but I’m no where near little. Can you imagine how strong and toned and balanced I’ll be by the time I reach my goal? I can hardly wait because I won’t just feel pretty. I’ll also feel confident and light on my feet. The difference is already astounding.

So…I’ve officially put it all out there for you friends because when I started taking control of myself and my body, I found joy that came long before I reached my goal. And it’s only going to get better. And it can be that way for you too.

I know many of you workout regularly so if I’m preaching to the choir, forgive me. I just think it’s important to be honest with ourselves, to stop making excuses and to claim the healthy lives we can have if we’ll just work for it.

Diz
    January 13, 2010 at 7:06 am

I'm so proud of you Kenz! Taking control and responsibility of and for ourselves is so empowering…it's actually quite profound if you think about it. As I've said a million times before, and I really believe- you are so unique and such an inspiration to so many people, big and small. I think my favorite thing about you is your ability to just go for what you want with no fear. You want to talk to Mr. WW himself? You write him and he responds. You want to ride a bike? You buy one and ride it regularly. You work out and do crunches. You do an amazing job that people would kill for. Your ability to just reach for the stars and make your dreams a reality will not only enrich your life forever, but it's endless and it's effects on others is infinite too. The POWER that one can wield once they realize their potential! It astounds me when I start to think about it. If Kenz can write Mr. WW, I can do this or do that. And you make it all look so easy! 🙂 I love it. Great job on such a milestone today, I heart you!!

jenjen
    January 13, 2010 at 7:34 am

You are just amazing. And SOOOOO inspiring. I think you are just so beautiful inside and out! You are seriously one of the sweetest people ever – that's just my opinion.

Keep up the good work Kenlie!

XXO
    Jen

Deb Willbethin
    January 13, 2010 at 10:56 am

Kenz,

Courage and freedom! What beautiful, rich and life-changing qualities to possess. When we add them to hope, intelligence, compassion, joy and determination–we are just beginning to describe you.

I saw a change in your posts a few posts ago–I did't know what had happened in your life, but I knew this day, this post, would soon appear. God is good! And, I have tears in my eyes.

And, YES, I will rise to your challenge! I do hereby agree to exercise–really exercise–every day! Just so ya know, I truly, truly hate to sweat! ugh. sorry. lol.

Here's my bottom line: If you can be determined and hopeful enough to embark on such a long journey, courageous enough to do it with a smile in your heart, and free enough to write this post, I can exercise every day.

I know everyone says "you need to do this for yourwself and no one else," but the truth is–this one is for you! Every time I do not want to climb on my rower or push play on that DVD, I will think of this post–and sweat in honor of you. 😀 hahaha "Sweat in honor of you" that sounds so funny–but you know what I mean.

Who says we can't be free!?!

Deb

Beth P.
    January 13, 2010 at 11:42 am

I'm a new follower and a fairly new reader (I've visited once or twice before) and I have to say that nobody has effected me quite like you just did. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes because I needed to hear this. I needed to hear it can be done and I needed to hear someone say it with such positivity. I have a lot of weight to lose and am inspired. Thank you so much for posting this. You are doing an amazing job and you are absolutely right about anyone being able to do it.

KT
    January 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Two words:

YOU ROCK!

<3 Katie

Becca
    January 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm

If I could reach through this computer and give you a big hug…I would be doing that right now!!! You are AWESOME!!! Thank you for giving me the motivation to go and do something about my body. I am not only doing this for the shape of my body but my overall health too. My father died of a MI at 38!! That is 2 years away for me. It is imperative that I change my eating habits and exercise every day.

It is posts, FB status updates, and tweets form you that keep me going!!

~Becca

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home
    January 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

This was so inspiring and brave of you!!!! I'm really enjoying reading about all your successes! You rock and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

Marcelle
    January 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm

great…you are on the right road to success.

Jen
    January 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for sharing! It takes a lot to put it all out there. You look great by the way…

Onewhocares
    January 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

You are awesome Kenz! Thanks so much for sharing this – you're right, if you can do them I can do them too. I have no excuse. Keep up the good work – and well done on what you've achieved since April – amazing!

Sheila
    January 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

WOW! You are amazing!! I a so proud of you for how much you've already lost!!! And working out the way you! GOOD JOB – YOU GO GIRL!! Keep up the good work!!!

New England Girl
    January 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I barely know you, but I am SO proud of you! I adore when anyone sets out goals on their road and tackles them when they come to each and every single one, no matter how big or small. You are doing such a great job. You are truly an inspiration and someone I look up to. 🙂

Cheryl
    January 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I, too, have put it all out there this year in a new blog, and have been incredibly happy and free ever since . . . like I've been released from jail or something! You are living proof that this CAN be done! Amazing story, hang in there!

Rhonda
    January 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I am so proud of you Kenz. You are such an inspiration for all of us. You are a beautiful person inside and out, and I'm so happy to be on this journey with you. You have such strength and determination. You have big goals and you shoot for the stars. When I start my weight loss blog up again I would like to feature you! I know others would appreciate your fire! YOU ARE ON FIRE!

Love you my friend!

~Steph~
    January 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm

You are quite the inspiration! Its nice to see people actually being themselves. Its all about the honestly and willingness to accept the responsablity! Keep up the Great work!!!!

AriSpark
    January 13, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Kudos to you!! When I read your blog it totally inspires me to stick with living a better quality of life.

jennykate77
    January 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

This is awesome…you are awesome! To put your weight out there for all to see is a very brave thing to do. Just know that you are inspiring people all over blogland and facebook and twitter. This morning when I got up, I really wanted to skip day 3 of shredding. It just wasn't in me and I just wasn't feeling up to it…but then I thought of you and Rhonda and Jen and Amber and Becca…and the list goes on and on. I thought that if you guys can do it, then so can I! Thanks so much for being so open and sharing such personal info. Maybe I'll be brave enough to do that one day soon. It makes us accountable even that much more when people know our journey. You ROCK, Kenz!

Kimberly
    January 14, 2010 at 12:47 am

Holy crap, Kenz – you are amazing!! So inspirational!

Funnyrunner
    January 14, 2010 at 1:47 am

OMG YOU GO GIRL!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!

♥Amber Filkins♥
    January 14, 2010 at 3:17 am

Hey, I just looked through here again, & realized I never commented yesterday!? I thought I did.

Well, you are seriously amazing Kenlie! I'm not feeling very well today, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it today. Say some prayers for me that I can muster enough strength & motivation. I need to do it today.

Love you girl!

Mommy of Two
    January 14, 2010 at 7:19 am

You go, girl! Congratulations!

{ALL} for a Better Life
    January 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Love the photos and you go girl for just putting it all out there.

Foodie McBody
    January 15, 2010 at 4:07 am

Kenz- Whoa. Just whoa. You are incredible. I love your honesty and your strength and your "I'm gonna do this-ness!" YOU ROCK that 30 Day Shred! You do!!!! You are so awesome! I have never done that 16 days in a row. You inspire me, you really do.

I would LOVE to shred along with you one day!!

purple_moonflower123
    January 15, 2010 at 5:28 am

Thanks for opening up like that! That is so great. It is sort of liberating to say hey, this is where I started from, but I'm not going back.

I love the photos too! Shredding is killer!

Sarah
    January 15, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Wow. YOu are awesome!!

Anonymous
    January 18, 2010 at 2:36 am

Hey, I found your blog a few weeks ago and have come back to visit a few times since then. I just wanted to say that I think you're already beautiful and hope you reach all your goals. Also, I noticed that you said you want to be thin because it's healthy and pretty. Does that mean you think only thin people can be pretty? Just saying . . .

♥ Kenz ♥
    January 22, 2010 at 7:10 am

Thanks to all of you who took time to leave encouraging comments for me! I appreciate the support so much!

Anonymous – Let me correct you..what I said was…
    "Can you imagine how strong and toned and balanced I'll be by the time I reach my goal? I can hardly wait because I won't just feel pretty. I'll also feel confident and light on my feet. The difference is already astounding."

In no way did I imply or say that one must be thin to be pretty. You're reaching quite a bit there. What I said is that feeling pretty will not be the only benefit.

But since you brought it up…did I feel pretty at almost 400 pounds? No. I felt (because it was unfortunately blatant and still is) that I was either the butt of jokes or invisible many times. Don't get me wrong..there are many amazing people in my world..but walking down the street in this city, that's how it felt.

But my original statement was that feeling pretty would only be one of many, many other benefits…all of which I've begun to recognize already.

I hope I cleared that up for you..;) And thanks for the comment.