Accomplishments Exercise New York City Reflection weight loss Weight Watchers

My Message To David K

I know that people experience success in weight loss everyday. And while I’ve never publicly shared my story – you know, what brought me to that point in which I had to lose weight, I think someday I will. And while I may never be on the cover of WW magazine or the focus of a ticker tape parade, I hope to be recognized as a girl who has done more than survive…I want to be known as a girl who thrives.
If you’re linked to me on Twitter, then you probably know how much I unabashedly adore @dkirchhoff who happens to be the author of a fantastic blog called Man Meets Scale and a big part of the Weight Watchers team. And while it’s more likely that I’ll lose 100 pounds this week than it is that he’ll ever read my blog, I’m going to write what I’d say to him if I had the opportunity.

Dear Twitter Friend,

I’d like to introduce myself. My name is “Kenz.” And at 29 years old, I’m an educated professional who is committed to becoming the person I want to be.

You may not know me now, but I think you should because I am going “all the weigh” with this weight loss thing. Through balanced nutrition and the support I’ve received through Weight Watchers in the last several months, I have become a person who enjoys healthier foods and commits (almost) everyday to exercising whether I feel like it or not. And later this year, I will enter my thirties with healthy, life-changing habits in place.
I’ve lost 69.8 pounds since April, and I intend to lose about 190 more. When I set goals, I accomplish them. And I am so thankful for the tools that Weight Watchers has provided to help me do just that.
Moving to New York was one of my big goals, and I did it a little over two years ago. It has been incredible so far, but in the last few months I’ve noticed a myriad of changes in myself and the way I live.
I am no longer intimidated by 4-floor walk-ups or the subway. I take the train and walk to work rather than using a car service (unless it’s raining or snowing, of course.) I look forward to revisiting the little red lighthouse under the George Washington bridge whose path once threatened to destroy me and my shoes. And I can honestly say that I am no longer ‘the slowest person in Manhattan.” I walk up and down stairs with confidence, and I even run to catch trains once in a while – and catch them!
I have learned that I can do so. much. more. than I knew I could do. I can be patient. (Seriously, who knew?!) I can ride a bicycle again which is one of my favorite activities when it’s not baltic outside. And I can even do bicycle crunches (though I look like a fool when I do them.)
I know I can accomplish anything if I work for it, and that is precisely what I’m doing. So, dear twitter friend, I hope that one day I can meet you or sit next to you in a meeting – either before or after I become a lifetime member. And I hope you’ll smile because you know that your blog, your twitter updates and your attitude has played a part in my success.
Best,
Kenz

Becca
    January 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Nice letter- As a follower of your blog & a friend on FB, and a fellow Texan I am so proud of you!

~Becca

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home
    January 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Hi πŸ™‚ I just found your blog from Amber's because you were talking about the Shred. I'm really glad I found it! You weight loss is really inspiring and I'm secretly very jealous that you live in New York…

Jen
    January 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Very well written! I didn't realize you were on twitter…I will go follow you now!

Deb Willbethin
    January 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Kenz, This is my favorite post of all your posts that I've read! Thanks for a peak into your life. You have renewed my own determination to march on–with hope and grace. Onward and forward, fellow traveler. Deb

mellisarock
    January 5, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I think it would be really awesome if he were to read this!! What a great inspiration you are!! GO Girl!! I think that you have accomplished so much since April not only with weight loss but as a person! I commend ya! πŸ™‚

Rhonda
    January 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

What a great post. I don't know if I follow you on Twitter or not. I'll have to check that out and check out this wonderful man you have bragged on. I'm so inspired by your continuous great attitude.

David Kirchhoff
    January 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Kenz, All your success is purely a function of your own hard work and dedication. I'm glad and honored that Weight Watchers could be there to play a helpful role. I feel very proud of my own weight loss, but I'm always amazed by people like yourself who are making such a significant and positive changes in their lives. You've already accomplished great things and you should feel incredibly proud. My only advice going forward: stay with common sense and keep reminding yourself that you aren't on a diet, this is just how you live. And by the way, it's a great, satisfying and not-deprived way to live. Go get 'em!

New England Girl
    January 5, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Your letter was awesome πŸ™‚

Diz
    January 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm

OMG!!!!!! I can't believe he responded!!!! This has got to be one of the best days ever. Not only did you write a magnificent declaration of reclaiming your life, but he wrote back! I love it! I'm so happy/proud that you're my friend. I'm so proud of you and all that you're doing. You're such a huge inspiration and a great example. Hearts hearts, and more hearts!!!!

Trudy
    January 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Awesome Kenz! Of course he would respond…what a great letter.

Foodie McBody
    January 6, 2010 at 1:20 am

I knew he'd respond. 'Cause that's the kind of guy he is. πŸ™‚

Go Kenz, go DK, and go Weight Watchers. This post (and comments) put such a ginormous lump in my throat!!!!!!!! I'm so unfathomly proud to be part of the family.

Lynn
    January 16, 2010 at 5:34 am

Kenzo-I am so excited to meet your blog. You are inspiriting me. Looking forward to being moitivatied by your journal. Keep it coming. I am all about keeping it real.