Challenge Food Healthy Eating Healthy Living

Proof That I Can Change

Over the last several months I have learned to try new things. I willed myself to like mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and fish because these things are good for me. And while it didn’t happen overnight, I can honestly say that I enjoy these things now.

Last week, I went to dinner with a friend and learned that I love sushi! I tried spicy salmon rolls, crab sticks, squid and a variety of other things like california rolls and rainbow rolls. And I couldn’t believe it!
If you had asked me if I liked sushi a year ago, I would have been disgusted at the thought. But ask me today, and I’ll tell you I love it.
I’m thrilled about this new love for sushi because sushi grade fish is healthy, and it proves that I can change. I eat what I love, but in many ways, what I love has changed. When I’m thinking about what to eat for dinner, things like a burger and fries no longer enter my mind (99% of the time.) Instead, I crave things like scallops, chicken and brown rice with loads of vegetables, spaghetti squash or escarole and bean soup.
Maybe there will always be folks who refuse to try spinach or fish or artichokes, but I will not be one of them. I will eat things that are good for me, and I will enjoy them as much as I enjoyed unhealthy things.
In losing weight, we find success when we open our minds, challenge our bodies and change our behavior. If you’re struggling to make changes, remind yourself that while you may not have enjoyed spinach as a kid, you might enjoy it now. And remind yourself that exercise is hard, but when you do it, you build strength and endurance.
The new year is a perfect time for new challenges and new commitments. Open your mind, and try something new. Whether it’s a new food or a new activity or a new attitude, try it and believe you can change. When you do, you might realize that life has even more to offer than you realized.
Are you already open-minded? If so, were you born that way or do you have to work at it like I do?

♥Amber Filkins♥
    January 4, 2010 at 7:45 am

I am open minded, and I've always been that way, thank goodness!! There aren't many things that I absolutely do not like, or am not willing to try {egg nog is one of them though!!}

When I was a teenager, I even willed myself to never use mayo or butter. Maybe I should will myself on that one again.

I'm the one that will take all of the vegetables that people don't like. Mushrooms, bean sprouts, tomatoes, anything, pass it my way.

Thank the good Lord, my girls are good vegetable & fruit eaters. I hope they always stay that way!

By the way, you are SUCH an inspiration to me, Kenlie!

Deb Willbethin
    January 4, 2010 at 9:49 am

Good for you, Kenz! What a nice post to start off the new year. 😀 Deb

Connie Weiss
    January 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

My husband introduced me to Sushi and I love it. And if I lived where you do….I would eat it weekly!

I love that you are willing to try new things and end up loving them.

Great job Kenz!

Trudy
    January 4, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I really have to work at it myself…hard! I am hoping that I can discover a newfound determination after the baby. I'd like to be able to set a good example for my child about healthy eating and exercise!

Happy New Year Kenlie!

Meghan
    January 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

What a great reminder to start the new year!

Sara
    January 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I have been trying healthier foods, but I am having a tough, very tough time with fish! I know its really good for me, but cant seem to eat it, I am trying though~

Meg @ Just Another Manic Mommy
    January 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I've always been a HUGE fan of Sushi! I just love it! I had some 2 nights ago! Delish! I always make people try it who have never eaten just so they can make their own opinions! I think most people are scared that it's going to wiggle at them when they chew on it! But I'm there with you – but newest try was Onions – I used to hate them even the smell/sight of them but now I can't get enough of them & even crave them! Great post!!! <3

Check out my Fitness Blog : http://www.icommit2befit.blogspot.com – I just started P90x and could use some motivation! U rock!

Watergirl
    January 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I am really open-minded about food, my parents brought me up on the rule 'If you don't eat this meal, you will go hungry' so I pretty much would eat anything (part of the problem?!).

But the one thing I couldn't stand was celery, so last year I bought some and kept trying a bit in salads, with low-fat cream cheese etc and it worked! I put it in everything now, including stews and casseroles.

Lisa
    January 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Great advice for the new year!

I used to hate spaghetti sauce when I was a kid. I hadn't had it in 15 years, and was convinced to try it. I was completely amazed to find out that I like it. I still don't like brussel sprouts though.

Sarah
    January 4, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I'm not so sure about sushi! Maybe I will try it!

Jean Stockdale
    January 4, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It was a wonderful Christmas with our precious family. Blessings to you in 2010. Sounds like you are working hard to make great positive changes in your life. Blessings.

Diz
    January 5, 2010 at 4:38 am

You know you're my favorite, don't you? I love sushi too, and I love that you've finally given it a chance because, it's delicious! You have really inspired me to think about ways I can open up and try some new things myself…I'm serious about some of the things I want to change this year and this is right up my alley! Thank you so much for such a great post!

jenjen
    January 5, 2010 at 5:38 am

Yum, I love sushi too! You are such an inspiration to me Kenlie! Keep up the good work. And doing the Shred too – good for you!!

I hope you have a wonderful 2010!

XOOX
    Jen

AriSpark
    January 6, 2010 at 3:37 am

I think that I'm doing pretty well with being openminded to new foods. I just can't eat bread, cheese, and meat for every meal anymore and I've found that I do like a lot of foods that I didn't like as a child.

So I say bring on the new foods and experiences, b/c eating the same thing all the time gets very very boring.