Challenge Family and Friends Getting Thin Contest Filling Foods Food

Serving Sizes

We’ve all heard that we should have 5 fruits and vegetables per day, but I’d like to break it down a little because it may not be as hard as you think to accomplish this. The United States Department of Agriculture sets a serving size for fruit or vegetables to be equal to about one-half cup. Greens like spinach and lettuce have a serving size equal to one full cup. And a piece of fruit like a small banana or an apple counts as one serving.

So when you eat half a cup of cucumbers or six strawberries, you’ve eaten an entire serving! Before I began my journey to lose weight I assumed that a serving was a cup or more when, in fact, it is much less.
To those of you participating in the weekly bonus challenge with me, keep up the good work. And if you need a few ideas then here’s a list for you. You could eat:
15 grapes
an apple
a peach
one tomato
one ear of corn
half of a sweet potato
one peach
10 baby carrots
a cup of lettuce
5 broccoli florets
So, you see? It’s not so bad when you break it down into servings. And I promise that if you eat fruits and veggies regularly, you’ll stay satisfied longer. And you’ll feel good because you’re doing great things for your body!

MamaJoss
    January 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Great job with this post — it's so true…it IS easy to do 🙂 Congrats on all of your weight loss – love you blog!

Sheila
    January 26, 2010 at 10:33 pm

WELL – I'M HALF WAY THERE – ALREADY HAD MY BROCCOLI FOR TODAY! 🙂 GO ME!!! LOL!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home
    January 26, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Interesting, thanks!!!

Rhonda
    January 26, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I get most of my daily servings of fruit and veggies all first thing in the morning in my green smoothies! You should try it Kenlie. It is so addictive!

Sarah
    January 26, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Be careful with the corn…its considered a starch. Plus depending on the banana they can be pretty big and almost 2 full servings. I'm trying to be better about my veggie intake.

AriSpark
    January 27, 2010 at 2:43 am

This is a great post, since most of the time, no one bothers to tell you what a serving size for fruits and veggies are.. So thanks!

Diz
    January 27, 2010 at 2:50 am

I ate all my fruits and veggies today thanks to our convo yesterday. 😉 I've had 6 servings today! Yay for me!

Deb Willbethin
    January 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

Hey, Kenz! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you saw all of positive comments re: this challenge. Re: bananas–yep 1/2 a banana is usally one serving and corn is a grain. I am a new expert (hahaha) because I checked out the serving sizes just before I saw your challenge. I think strawberries are a cup, but I might be wrong about that. We'll have to check. 🙂

I am doing GREAT! It's actually much easier to get 5 servings in than I thought now that I have a better handle on the serving size. Yesterday, I had 6 and today I had EIGHT! woo hoo.

Thanks for this challenge!!!

Deb

Becca
    January 27, 2010 at 4:15 am

Funny, I just read this in a magazine today too!! I was under the assumption that it was more as well!!

Love the challenge- I think about it all day long when I reach for a piece of fruit!

~Becca

♥ Kenz ♥
    January 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Just to clarify, corn is actually a compound of carbohydrates which is all rich with vitamin C and dietary fiber. It is also rich in several important vitamins like vitamin B5, vitamin B9 (folic acid), and vitamin B1. So that's why it is usually considered a starchy vegetable.

Perhaps it should not be the only vegetable we eat throughout the day. But I also break down the number of vegetables v. the number os fruits I eat each day. But that can be overwhelming to those who are still struggling to eat five a day. And ultimately, we are far better off eating five a day, regardless of which ones we choose, than when we're not. 🙂 So just keep up the good work.

Mae Flowers
    January 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I thought the same thing when I first started dieting. I had no clue how I was going to eat all of the fruits and veggies, but truth is, the servings are much smaller than I thought they were!