Accomplishments Emotions Healthy Living

A ‘Big’ Moment

My boyfriend has four nieces, one of whom is 4 years old. And when I met her (two years ago at a Superbowl party) she said (over and over and over) “Kenz, you’re big.” Now, this little girl loves me (and has loved me from the moment we met) so she wasn’t being mean or rude…just an honest little girl. And she was right.

To say that I was ‘big’ when I met her was certainly an understatement. I was tipping the scale at almost 400 pounds. Damn right I was big. And while I’m still no where near ‘small,’ I’m a lot smaller than I was. And last night she noticed.

When I walked in last night, I was greeted with lots of hugs just like always. And when I put her down she said “Kenz…you are getting so small! Why are you getting small?” I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I scooped her up again, gave her a big hug and kiss and fought happy tears. πŸ™‚

When you have over 200 pounds to lose, sometimes 80 doesn’t seem like a big difference – at least for me. Don’t get me wrong. Most days I feel like a rock star, but it was so nice to be reminded that I’m doing so well. I knew that this little girl would see a difference in me at some point, and I knew it would be a great moment when she did. Because there is no one more honest than a child.

Obviously, I didn’t need to hear anything from anyone to prove to myself that I’m doing well. I see it on the scale each week, and I feel it in my clothes, the way I move and the way I feel. But I would be lying if I said that it didn’t thrill me to know that other people are noticing too.

I still have a long road ahead, but I don’t mind. I can honestly tell you that I’m enjoying the journey. And that is just one of the reasons that I’m confident I’ll reach my goal.

As you lose/lost weight, do you remember defining moments in your journey? If so, will you tell me about them?

Teresa Pomerantz
    February 8, 2010 at 7:56 pm

It is always nice with others notice, especially little ones who are nothing but honest, and don't say it to be cruel but just because that is the way they see it. You go girl. You should be very proud. My son asked me yesterday why I wanted to lose weight and I told him that I didn't feel comfortable and didn't have the energy to do some of the things he would like me to do.
    With the innocence of a child, he didn't see why extra weight can be a problem. Thank you Kenz for being an inspiration!

KT
    February 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

That is so great!

I have to tell you that yesterday I was at the gym running on the treadmill and Empire State of Mind was on my playlist. As I was listening to the lyrics, I was thinking about you (as you live in New York).

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
    There's nothing you can’t do,
    Now you're in New York!!!
    These streets will make you feel brand new,
    the lights will inspire you,
    Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

I was pushing myself thinking about how hard you have been pushing yourself, letting thoughts of New York and Kenz inspire me as I ran. Thinking that you can do something if you set your mind to it. I hope that doesn't sound too weird, but you are a big source of inspiration to a lot of people and I just wanted to share that little tidbit of my day with you. :0) Keep it up!

KT

Diz
    February 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

The best moments in the journey for me are when other people notice and make a little comment. To them it's a 5 second blip- "D! You look so great!" but to me, it can last all night and all week! Congratulations on such a huge milestone- because weight is not usually a huge thing to children, it takes a lot for them to notice. πŸ™‚ It only becomes a big deal to them if it's a big deal to us; because they see how we act everyday and they adopt our behaviors. So that's so cool that she noticed! xoxoxo- D

Sheila
    February 8, 2010 at 8:19 pm

That is awesome! And you are right – there is nothing more honest than a child! πŸ™‚
    Most defininy moments FOR ME – was WITH me, not someone else. My work slacks, were SAGGING in the butt! I LOVED IT! πŸ™‚

Tammy
    February 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I just found your blog, but you are truly an inspiration! I'm losing right now with WW. I have a work friend who keeps saying that I'm getting so small and that she wants to be the size I am now (I still need to lose about 50 pounds, according to WW, but only 30 according to my doctor). I have been wearing clothes that have been hanging in my closet as too tight, so it is like having a new wardrobe. Plus, some of my favorites are now too big.

Keep up the good work!

Deb Willbethin
    February 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm

What a touching moment! A victory of the sweetest kind. πŸ™‚ Deb

Bought For A Price
    February 8, 2010 at 8:59 pm

One of the reasons I started this journey was of a conversation with my granddaughter:

Granddaughter: I saw my teacher the other day and I thought it was you.

Me: You did?

Granddaughter: My teacher is fat!

I agree! None of what she said was meant in a negative way toward me. Just the facts!

Glad the child in your life is noticing the difference. Just the facts! πŸ™‚

Angela
    February 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Aww Kenz! That is great! Made me think back to my journey with WW. Mine was when I was about halfway to my goal and hit a bump in the road. It seemed like no matter what I did the weight wouldn't come off anymore. One day out of the blue the owner of the company I worked for at the time (he is a 75 year old man :)) tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I was losing weight and how great I looked. It was just the inspiration I needed to work harder! Its so great that even though you yourself may not notice even the subtle changes, people in your life do!! Makes you sure push even harder.

You are such an inspiration girl! Keep up the hard work!

Keri
    February 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Buying my first size 10 jeans (I was a 16 forever) really sticks out for me. Omg I called up my mom and told her, I was so excited.
    You're doing so awesome girl, loving your blog!!

Keri – Fellow Weight Watcher
    lifelessonaday.blogspot.com

trippingtiffies
    February 9, 2010 at 12:06 am

i really enjoy the way you write your blog. i appreciate your optimism, and it inspires me to want to lose weight as well.

β™₯tiff
    fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

MackAttack
    February 9, 2010 at 3:57 am

out of the mouths of babes…it's great to be reminded of how far we've come! I have a picture from the very beginning of my journey and my old boss up at my desk. It's great to hear "wow, you've lost a ton of weight!" Makes me feel so good.

Melanie
    February 9, 2010 at 4:31 am

That's such a sweet moment! Kids are the most honest critics. I remember when my son was about 10 and watched me working out. He said "Mom, I can tell you are losing weight because you aren't as jiggly." That made me laugh and also made my day. Congrats on hearing it "like it is"

3busybs
    February 9, 2010 at 5:40 am

Wahoo!! I love that story!

I left you some sunshine on my blog. =) If you get the time check it out. =)

Welcome home,