Facing The Music

Today is weigh-in day, and I’m honestly not sure how I’ll do. I didn’t eat as well as I normally do while I was in Vegas. And while I watched my portions, only eating half of a bacon cheeseburger and eating mashed potatoes instead of french fries, I certainly cannot say I made the best choices.

I did attempt to make healthy choices most days, but I was not in my regular exercise routine either. When we ate at Spago, one of Wolfgang Puck’s restaurants, I ordered chicken breast and removed the skin. And we stayed at the Venetian which is gigantic so I did a lot of walking to and from my room as well as shopping for hours on end. I also walked the length of the strip one day and over half of it the day before. We’ll see if the scale thinks that was enough.
Josh (who, by the way, is in sick shape) and I shared this banana cream pie one evening, and between the two of us, we still left over half of the dessert uneaten. But as you can see, I did enjoy some delicious treats while I was there.
This strawberry sorbet from the Forum Shoppes at Caesar’s was also decent though I was not pleased that they charged my credit card $19.00 for it. But hey…it was cheap compared to the drinks that were $37.00. And it did only contain 80 calories per serving. Speaking of drinks, I had several alcoholic drinks one evening as well. Just keeping it real. 😉
I did eat fruit when I was away. I enjoyed a banana almost daily and I ate the biggest apple I’ve ever eaten on my way up to my room. I tried to use fairly good judgment, and I did control my portions as well.
When I got home, I enjoyed the Superbowl then almost immediately got back into my exercise routine. I did a lot of sweating Monday and Tuesday, but skipped working out today in an attempt to keep from getting sick. Apparently, I’m still not 100%. Do you think it’s because the window is open at night even during low temps and snowfall? Just wondering.
Anyway, whatever the scale says tomorrow, I’ll try not to be too upset about it. After all, I had a fabulous time, and I know that when I’m doing what I’m supposed to do, I lose weight. Regardless of tomorrow’s weigh-in, I’m confident that I’ll feel good about stepping on the scale next week. And at this point, that has to be good enough.
I think that one of the most important factors in losing weight is to get back on track even when you could have done better the day before. We are not failures because we eat foods that are bad for us on occasion. We are not failures unless quit trying. It’s a long road, and there will be bumps. Sometimes the bumps will even be worth it. But if we get right back into a healthy routine then we’ll see success unfold before us.
My goal for this week is to make choices that I’ll be happy I made next Thursday. What are your goals for the week?

Diz
    February 11, 2010 at 7:04 am

Yayyy!!!! If anyone can get back on track this week, it will be you. I'm glad you had a blast in Vegas…Good luck with weigh in tomorrow! xoxoxo D

Diz
    February 11, 2010 at 7:05 am

Oh! And PS- thank you for the recipes! I don't have a crockpot, but I'll definitely be trying everything else. Did you see the chocolate crepes with strawberries on Gina's page? 2.5 points! INSANE! I can't wait to try them!

Deb Willbethin
    February 11, 2010 at 7:07 am

"…if we get right back to a healthy routine, then we'll see success unfold before us."

I like that. And I wish you the kindest, friendliest scale ever tomorrow!

Deb

♥ Kenz ♥
    February 11, 2010 at 7:15 am

Ahhh, thanks girls! Yes, Diz! And I'm totally making them this weekend! Yay!

Sneaker Teacher
    February 11, 2010 at 11:05 am

I agree that getting back on track is really important. It is completely part of life to have some dessert and enjoy some drinks every once in awhile, but getting back to good habits super important rather than letting those events take over. Good job leaving desserts behind on your plate! That is hard to do!!

Katie

Weighting Around
    February 11, 2010 at 12:00 pm

However you do at the weigh-in isn't so terribly important. You had a great time while you were away, as you should have. You have some wonderful memories. So this week you might have to work a little harder. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, is it?

Tammy
    February 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

My weigh-in was yesterday, and I didn't do as well as I had hoped. It was a loss, but a very small one. I have a personal goal set with a completion date of Valentine's Day, but I had really hoped to reach it at yesterday's meeting. So, like you, I'm determined to make better choices this week and hit that goal. You will be fine — sometimes a once-in-a-lifetime event is the important thing for a week! Good luck!

{Absolutely, Positively} Josie
    February 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

my goal is to get through until lent without bingeing! sweets are my downfall. i'm trying to avoid them, and it's hard- especially with valentine's day around the corner and all the temptations.
    and you are right: we're not failures until we quit. my goal is to really respect and understand that!

Foodie McBody
    February 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You totally enjoyed yourself, AND you were mindful, which is a winning combination. I can't stand it when people sit around poking at a plate of lettuce on Thanksgiving, or who eat NOTHING at parties. There has to be a balance.
    I'm going to LA for a super special Bday dinner with my honey this weekend, (OK probably dinner PLUS brunch!) so I'm trying to be extra careful this week before I go (and more so when I get back). That's how it is. We want to enjoy life, which occasionally means special food, AND we want to be healthy. You're so doing it the right way.

trippingtiffies
    February 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm

you are very inspirational. it is so hard to stay on track, a feat i am honestly having difficulty with right now. i enjoy reading your site because it makes me believe i can do it.

♥tiff
    fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

Lori
    February 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Don't worry about the scale so much. You tried during the trip and were conscious and that really means way more than the actual number. If it does blip up, could be a number of things like water retention from restaurant food, or more calories than normal. Since you are on track again now, just keep on going!

Liza
    February 11, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I really need to read this today. I just posted on my blog how I have been off track and really needed to get back on. You reinforced to me to forgive myself for it and move on – move forward doing the right things. Thank you, I really needed that!!

{ALL} for a Better Life
    February 11, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Sigh, you are awesome! I needed to hear this — I have been struggling this week and I know this is just a bump. You are a rockstar and so proud of you for getting back on the stick!