My Strategy

Yesterday I shared with you all that I’d like to lose 100 pounds by my year mark, and today I’d like to share how I plan to do that so here’s my strategy. If you have any tips or ideas, please let me know! I look forward to hearing them!

Now, here’s my plan:

• I eat fairly well, but there’s still room for improvement. And now is a good time to work on those improvements. I’m a big proponent of eating chips if I want them. I don’t eat more than a serving, but I do eat them. I usually just eat them with a fruit or veggie too. Sometimes I eat s serving twice a day. And today, I decided that eating more fruits and veggies (and skipping the 2 pts. of chips) was a good idea. After all, I like fruits and veggies. I already eat five to nine servings per day. I’ll eat them more often from now on because while it’s okay to have things I want in moderation, I don’t have to have them every single time I want them. Cravings pass when you let them.
  • Another plan of attack (on these unwanted pounds) is to shock my body. I’ve been doing 50 minutes of medium impact cardio per day, and a few days this week I did 80 minutes. Today I did 65 minutes. This weekend, I may do less cardio, but I’ll workout at a higher intensity. That seems to be when I see the biggest drops on the scale. And let’s not forget my functional training (working small muscles in with the bigger muscles during strength training.)
  • I plan to eat at home more over the next several weeks. I’ve gotten better at this, but again..there’s still a lot of room for improvement. The fact is that when I’m eating at home I weigh and measure – and I know exactly what is in the food I’ve prepared. When I go out I try to make healthy choices. I choose broiled pork chops and turnips or boneless, skinless chicken breast with roasted potatoes and broccoli. But I can’t really know if butter and/or oil is used to prepare it. And though I’m pretty good at eye balling it now, I can’t really know exactly what I’m eating. So eating at home more often is a good idea because I like the foods I make and I know what I’m eating

I practice all of this already. I just want to press a little harder because I know I can. And it would be so awesome to say I lost 100 pounds in my first year. So I’m giving it my best effort, and if I continue to do that (as I have 97% of the last several months) that will be good enough regardless of the number on the scale on April 1.

But I think I can reach this milestone by 4/1. I’m going to try, and I hope that you’ll wish me luck. Because with a little luck and a lot of diligence I’m going to reach this milestone. And it’s a win-win because even if I don’t reach it on April 1, I know I’ll reach it soon after. And I’m ready to crack down on the next 100 pounds!

kaitlin
    February 21, 2010 at 5:11 am

Hooray!! You can do it! Your strategies look great. I am a month out from my 6 month mark, and it is my goal to hit 50 pounds lost by then. We can both do it! =) Keep up the great work, you are such an inspiration.

Beth
    February 21, 2010 at 5:23 am

Good luck! If anybody can do it, you can.

Stacey at Living by Faith
    February 21, 2010 at 5:24 am

Yes! Yes! Yes! Those are great ideas. I love that you put into words two of the ideas I have been thinking I need to change for this next week (#1 and #2…I wish I've been going out to eat but the budget has been tight.)

You can do it. 100 pounds GONE! How awesome are you! Very!

Bought For A Price
    February 21, 2010 at 9:34 am

You are sooooo close. Wishing you the luck you are asking for! Can't wait to see the results!

WaistingTime
    February 21, 2010 at 11:58 am

Your plan looks great. I personally was struck by number two since I think I need to follow your lead there and mix things up and push harder with my exercise. Good luck:)

Fashion Meets Food
    February 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Good luck! Just found your blog and I think it's awesome how much motivation you have!

Mae Flowers
    February 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

You'll do great with your new plan!

trippingtiffies
    February 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm

you zeroed in on my main problem….i give in to cravings. bad. it consumes me when there's something in particular that i feel the need to eat. i don't know how to get past that.

Becca
    February 21, 2010 at 1:40 pm

We are with you all the way- I always feel like I have a better workout when I up the intensity in a shorter period of time- i.e. shredding for 27 mins versus pilates for 60!

~Becca

Missa
    February 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Just found your blog and it rocks. Your goal of 100 is completely doable and I think you may even shred that number. Your before and during pics completely reflect all the committment you have put in the process. Kudos to you!!!

Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

The Monkey and Me
    February 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

You're loosing at such a great rate – I say keep up what you've been doing! It's obviously working.

Tammy
    February 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

You have an excellent plan, and I am sure you will reach your goal! I need to work on #2, especially. I was doing a lot of exercise until last spring when I developed heel spurs (one on each foot). After considerable time of rest, I'm going to start testing the feet by walking again. And, your point in #1 that cravings will pass is wonderful. That is one I need to remember.

Go Kenz!

Anonymous
    February 21, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Good luck! You can do it! My 2 tips that have helped me shed all my pregnancy weight twice:

1. Interval training

2. NO eating after dinner. Not even a healthy snack. For some reason, when I go to bed a little hungry, I ALWAYS lose weight.

MackAttack
    February 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm

You can do it! You are doing such a great job and you'll totally kick butt these next few weeks. Even better than the weight loss will be the improved habits (that's what I tell myself, especially when the scale doesn't cooperate!)

Keri
    February 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm

If anyone can do it "Shrinking Kenz" its you baby!!

Shell
    February 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Good Luck!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    February 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Your strategy rocks! Stick with it, and you should blow that 100-lb. goal away.

I don't know if you eat the Weight Watchers or Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, but I think most of them are tasty and, of course, they are convenient. However, there is never enough vegetables in them, but usually lots of "sauce" and plenty of sodium. I steam or microwave extra veggies to add to them. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, depending on what the dinner is. Pumps up the volume of the meal and all for no points.

Zucchini can even be shredded in long strings (use a potato peeler) to substitute for pasta with marinara sauce. Not exactly the same, but doable.

Throw that WW Mexican beans and rice dish over a big bowl of Romaine lettuce. Salsa on top. The combo of the hot and the cold is delish! Colorful, chewy, satisfying!

Just a tip that I use to get more veggies into my life.

You will get the job done, no doubt.

Adie
    February 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Good for you girl! You will do great!! Good Luck and enjoy making that milestone!

Rhonda
    February 21, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Kenz…I love how you have a plan in place. That shows a lot right there. Zig Ziglar says, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." You are planning to eat at home more…that will help! Changing up exercises will help. Like you said trick your body, keep it guessing. Let go of some of the processed foods like chips. What helps me the most is letting go of all sugar! I always lose when I do that. Read lables. Eat what you can pick from a tree or out of the ground…a lot of it plus lean meats. Eat healthy fats…we need them.

You probably know all of that and do most of it…You will do it. If anyone can…it's YOU! I believe in you! Good luck!

Diz
    February 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Good for you babe- you'll get there, I know you will. 🙂 I would say good luck, but I don't think you need luck here, you already have a plan, and that's better than any luck you can get. 🙂 Loves!

Jon and Steph
    February 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Great plan! Good luck Sis!