Cardio Exercise Healthy Habits

Taking Care of Myself

I’m usually pretty upbeat. Wouldn’t you agree? But the truth is that the last 48 hours have kicked my butt. I feel defeated.

I haven’t exercised in two days. If you know me, you know that’s odd, but I will not be doing it today. Instead, I will be saying goodbye to my goal of 1,000 minutes of cardio this month which should have been easily reached even in this short month. If I had done a 50 minute cardio workout yesterday, today and tomorrow I’d still reach my goal. Or if I did 75 minutes today and tomorrow (less than I did some days last week) I’d still reach my goal. But it looks like that’s not going to happen.

I’ve been sick on and off since mid December. Yes, it has been a rough winter for me. I’ve had bronchitis twice, congestion and coughing, etc. And I have still maintained my ability to workout most days, but today is different. Today I have an earache.

My left ear is so clogged that I doubt I could hear someone speak to me from the left side, and it hurts…I mean, it really hurts. I’m not always a cry baby, but I feel like being one right now. Wednesday and Thursday I felt I 100% healthy again. Then we lost power Thursday night.

When we went to sleep Thursday night, it was about 50 degrees in the bedroom, and I’m not sure how low it must have dropped during the night. The damage was done because when I woke up I felt a little pain in my ear. And that pain has grown steadily since yesterday morning.

I have nothing motivational to say..but nothing too terrible either. I know that today is one of those days that so many of you have suggested in the past months. It’s a great day to take care of myself…to let my body rest. So that’s what I’m going to do.

I’m going to lie down even though it’s 2pm. And I’m going to skip what’s sure to be an awesome party later because there is just no way I can see myself going. It hurts to much not to mention how ridiculous it would be to walk around saying “what? what?” all evening. 😉

I just want to feel better. I want to rest well. I want to breathe through my nose and feel no popping in either of my ears. I want this winter to come to an end so I can enjoy happy Spring. I want to feel healthy again.

Does this mean I’m giving up? Of course not…! As soon as I get some relief in this ear, I’ll be back into my regularly scheduled exercise routine. Until then, I think I’ll pout.

Thanks for listening to me whine…If you know me, you know that this doesn’t happen too often. But when it does…what can I say? I don’t hold back. 😉

I know I’m not the only person looking forward to Spring. What are you excited about in the coming months???

Beth
    February 27, 2010 at 7:31 pm

It's OK to whine every now and then. I almost never get sick, but it seems I've had one illness after another this winter too. I finally got some relief a few weeks ago (thank God for amoxicillin!) and I'm slowly starting to feel 'normal' again. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids 🙂

Sneaker Teacher
    February 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I hope you feel better Kenz! Earaches are no fun..Last time I had one, it was actually in both ears at the same time and I remember driving from PA to my mom's in CT just so I could be with her and be taken care of!

Rest up and don't worry about missing workouts because your main goal is your health and being healthy means taking care of yourself and taking it easy when you are sick!

Keri
    February 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh, feel better Kenz! I hate that for you. Your body must be screaming for a rest, but you know that you're in this for the long haul so you'll be back at it in no time.

Missa
    February 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Feel Better! Really. When you are up to speed, you will attack your fitness.

Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

Rhonda
    February 27, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Feel better friend! You have been sick for a while now. Try some Emergen C. It really helps me and the boys if we catch it in the beginning. I don't know about for ears, but the other cold symptoms.

Mae Flowers
    February 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Go ahead and pout- I totally understand! You have a lot of reasons worth pouting about. 🙂 Seriously though, really let your body rest. If you haven't been letting yourself rest, that could be why your cough hung on, etc. Take care of yourself!

linds
    February 27, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I have bad ears so I know exactly what you're going through. An ear infection will make me drop quicker than anything else on earth. Your body needs this time to heal itself. Pushing too hard can make you get worse. Take care of yourself! Get your rest and lots of vitamin C!

{Absolutely, Positively} Josie
    February 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

i am looking forward to the warm breeze and sunshine of spring because, somehow, exercising is just so much more fun and relieving for me then!

sorry you're ill, but glad you're taking the time to rest.

Genie @ Diet of 51
    February 28, 2010 at 2:50 am

OK, it was goal, but you didn't know that you were going to get sick, buried in snow, and would sleep in igloo-conditions. You get a special "bye" for that combination of challenges.

If you call your doctor, will he/she write a scrip for an antibiotic? That's how pediatricians cure the kids with earaches. 24 hours and it's a new game.

Give yourself a rest and a break on the exercise, the socializing, and the "goals". You've worked so hard and you'll get back to all that when you feel better.

Foodie McBody
    March 1, 2010 at 7:27 am

Kenz I am so sorry you feel so ucky. And for so long. This sounds like such a drag, but I think it is time for a rest. I know you've been doing and hearing a LOT of that but don't fight it girl. You need to take care. We will all be here waiting when you are ready to take it up again, in a few days or whenever. Just TAKE CARE!

trippingtiffies
    March 1, 2010 at 10:03 pm

i hope you feel better very very soon!

♥tiff