Challenge Emotions Healthy Living Travel

One Year Ago Today

On this day last year, I was standing on a wet escalator in the Washington D.C. metro when I broke my right foot. Without getting too graphic, I’ll just say that my body tumbled forward (down the escalator) while my foot stayed back.

I was in a cast for about 6 weeks, and I became totally dependent on my left foot which hurt so badly before the fall that I visited a podiatrist on a few occasions. March was not an easy month. But, looking back, I think that my broken foot is one of the biggest reasons I walked into my first Weight Watchers meeting.

Less than a week after I broke my foot, I had four friends visit from Oklahoma. I rented a wheelchair so they could push me around Manhattan as I showed them Time’s Square, Grand Central and the other famous spots in the city. The first day they were here was easily one of the most miserable days of my life. Just in case you’re wondering, it is not easy to maneuver a wheel chair in Time’s Square. In fact, it’s damn near impossible actually especially when the person in the chair is almost 400 pounds!

By the time we got to 49th and Broadway, I was limping across the crosswalks. And forget riding in a cab when you have to figure out how to put a wheelchair in the trunk. Needless to say, when I got home I thought I might die. Luckily, my friends agreed to tour the rest of the city without me. And they learned that contrary to their reputation, New Yorkers are very nice and more than willing to help lost tourists find their way.

Three days after their 9 day visit, we headed to Aruba. Again, I sat in a wheelchair the airport. And when we got to our resort, I was wheeled around there too. Do I need to tell you that I barely even saw the beach last year? I did manage to lay by the pool everyday. I even waded in the water on and off, but that vacation experience is not the kind of experience I’m looking forward to next week. 😉

We had a great time, but I didn’t get to enjoy a lot of things that our other friends enjoyed. I love to lay on the beach, but the truth is that it was hard to do it in the Bahamas the year before. Walking on the sand is not easy when you’re carrying that much extra weight…period. But as I have mentioned, it was much easier when I had lost 27 pounds over the summer. Imagine how much easier it will be now that neither of my feet hurt and I’m almost 90 pounds lighter!

One of my favorite quotes is “A year from now you’ll wish you had started today.” And as I approach my year mark, I know just how true that quote is. My life changed the day I broke my foot. Though I didn’t start my weight-loss journey until April 2, I knew that I had to do something as I wobbled along, dreading the distance from one destination to another.

The last year has flown by! Can you believe it will be Spring in less than two weeks? I’ve enjoyed the last year — the changes and the successes. And I’m looking forward to the next one which will be filled with more changes and challenges. Life is short, and we only get one opportunity to live it. And I’m proud of myself for living life even when it was uncomfortable. But I’m much prouder of the fact that I’m creating the life I want for myself everyday.

WaistingTime
    March 7, 2010 at 12:50 pm

That is a great quote! And you will inspire others with all you accomplished this year:)

Michael
    March 7, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am so proud of your strength & determination Kenlie, and I am honored to be your friend. You constantly inspire me, and for that I thank you! Love ya!

Michael

Becca
    March 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Wow!! I remember your trip to Aruba last year and look at you now!! Literally!!!

Can't wait to hear all about your wonderful relaxing, beach-filled vacation!!

~Becca

Beth @ fatbustermack
    March 7, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Wow, what a story! I used to live in DC and those escalators are part of the reason why I have vertigo now. I was terrified of falling down them. Sorry you had to go through that. When I sprained my ankle it was horrible to need a wheelchair and not be able to get places alone, especially when I weigh so much more than my hubby! I hated that, but I couldn't walk. Ugh. Glad this year is so much better than last!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    March 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Kenz, you are such a delight, through and through! To suffer that rock-bottom low point in your life and to turn it around into such power and positive energy…. Girl, you're on fire!

I visited NYC with a group of my friends two years ago. Coincidentally, it was the same time that the Pope was there. Oh, the crowds! Especially in Times Square, where we lost our bearings and walked many additional blocks seeking Grand Central Station.

Just think, in another year, you'll be nimbly traveling your city. You'll be squeezing into those designer purse back-rooms in Chinatown and everything!

Thanks, as always, for the lift. Do you ever tire of hearing what an inspiration you are?

Beth
    March 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I broke my left foot this time last year! I was sitting on the couch and when I stood up to walk into the kitchen I feel flat on my face after I took one step. It was awful. I only had my cast on for one week – the guys who were putting it on were too busy goofin off w/me and I the cast was very tight on my calf/leg but so loose on my foot that I could still move it! So, the cast came off and I had wear a walking boot for the next 6 weeks. Ugh. My foot still hurts and aches.

♥Amber Filkins♥
    March 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Wow!! Great story, and great motivation! I am SOOO so glad that you'll be able to enjoy your vacation next week!! I'm super happy for you that you're in such a fantastic place in life. It made my ♥ ache hearing the top half of this story. 🙁

Have SO much fun!

P.S. I can't wait to see what my life will be like 1 year from now! 🙂 But I'm enjoying every day from here til then!

Adie
    March 7, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I love that quote!

Deb Willbethin
    March 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yes, life is short. You may find this hard to believe, but looking back over my shoulder at 58 years…It has flown by as fast as the year that has just past.

And, yes, I wish I had lost weight and kept it off sooner. Before my children became grown men, before I refused opportunities because of my weight, before I lost my vision, before I became 58.

You are so blessed to have discovered how fast time passes and what a difference the right choice makes over the long haul. I'm happy for you, Kenz. You're making wise choices that are changing your life–and you know it. Good job!

Deb