Trying New Things….

A few weeks ago, I was in Connecticut with my friend, Christine, and we found a Wilton baking pan in the shape of a lamb. It was quite a find at only $5.99, and I knew I had to buy it because my niece’s first birthday (which is coming up in a couple of weeks) will feature lots of lambs…probably some monkeys too.

I bought her this lamb shortly after she was born, and she seems to love it which makes me very happy. 🙂 I love to bake so I decided to give this 3-D cake a try. And while it’s far from perfect, with a little improvement I think it could be pretty cute. 🙂

Obviously, cake decorating is new for me. I enjoy decorating cookies, but I’m hardly a pro. Does anyone have a suggestion for the face? I plan to put green coconut on the platter to make it look as though the lamb is laying on grass, but I’m not sure what to do about the face. hehe

I’ll try this again over the weekend because I thinkmy boyfriend’s nieces will love it. I hope to improve on it by then. 😉 This is just another reminder that things that are worth while often require extra effort.

I cannot wait to see my adorable little niece. I miss her everyday. And I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of my family just as much…:) I’m looking forward to shopping and baking with my sister, eating onion rings with my brother-in-law and bugging my parents to “Party Off The Pounds” with Richard Simmons and me. I’m also looking forward to walks through scenic Colorado and just being there with my family. It’s going to be a great week even if we have to buy a cake with a lamb on it. 😉

Missa
    March 30, 2010 at 10:21 am

I use spiced gum drops for the eyes and nose because they have black ones for the eyes (licorice) and pink ones for the nose. Then, I put jelly beans around the bottom. However, I like what you did. For fur texture, I usually sprinkle it with coconut flakes, instead of doing up the icing. That must have taken a really long time!

Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

Tammy
    March 30, 2010 at 11:05 am

You are so multi-talented! My sister used to decorate cakes, but my few attempts were not so successful! My mom always laughs when I try to frost a cake because she says it looks so awkward. She thinks I'm doing it backwards because I'm left-handed! Usually, I stick to cakes made in a 13×9 pan because then I only have to put frosting on a flat layer!

The Monkey and Me
    March 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

This one is cute with the closed eyes in pink
    when in doubt – keep it simple – Yours is very cute!

Becca
    March 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm

So cute!!! When do you go to Colorado?? You are such a traveler!! Jealous!!!

~Becca

Lisa
    March 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm

VERY cute cake! Have fun with your family…

– Lisa

Megan
    March 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm

A band of pink icing or candy around its neck to create a ribbon would be a nice touch. It would also make it look more like her stuffed animal.

Rhonda
    March 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I agree with Becca. Seems like your going somewhere every month! ;p Cute little lamb! I love making cakes. See, when I'm trying to lose weight I can't make cakes. I eat them!

Barb
    March 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I think it's perfect, made with love! Your niece will love it. It's my granddaughters birthday today, she is 3, her mom is making her a princess cake – she'll love it! I agree with Rhonda, I take too many tastes while I am frosting, baking is out for me!!

Have a great day!

Superwoman Spirit
    March 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm

You really are amazing! I do not see any need for improvement I am very impressed to be honest! I so would love to be able to cake decorate.
    Have fun with your family and your niece is adorable 🙂

Diz
    March 30, 2010 at 7:26 pm

The fact that you made this is amazing…I couldn't reproduce this to save my life! It's beautiful- you'll have to put the new/finished one up as soon as you're done with it!

Deb Willbefree
    March 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Oh, Kenz, what a nice job! Really. The face would be hard since it lacks some definition r/t it being turned so kind of morphs into the body. I wonder if your friend who does thepretzels would have some ideas on how to give the face more definition.

I've seen the coconut fur ones and they look nice, too. But, really, yours looks great. I mean it.

Deb

Genie @ Diet of 51
    March 31, 2010 at 2:21 am

You did a great job with that cake. I wouldn't change a thing. The face looks friendly; a little one will love it.

Ms. Niece is quite adorable! Enjoy your time with her and the rest of your family!

Debbie
    March 31, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Hey that is a cute cake, I would like to find a pan like that. I am not talented at all, so no help from me on the face.. Hey you could ship it to Mississippi for me.. Ha Ha.