Cardio Exercise Goals Healthy Living

My First 5k

It’s time to talk about my first 5k which was supposed to happen Saturday morning. It did not. I chose not to do it after a woman dug her stiletto into the top of my right foot Thursday night.

On Friday, I walked the distance, but my foot hurt when it was over. I struggled with whether or not I should do it the next day, and ultimately, I decided that it was silly suffer through my first race alone when there would be other opportunities to do it with friends and without pain.

Looking back, I guess that choice still makes sense, but I’m disappointed in myself and the circumstances because I need to accomplish this for myself. I know I can do it because I have, but I really want to make it official.

Instead of waking up early and getting my workout done for the day Saturday, I stayed out all night and skipped my regular workout. ( I had a great time, and I don’t regret any part of Saturday evening.) I walked a little, but not nearly as much as I would have had I completed the 5k that morning.

I’ve decided to do another 5k. Missing my first doesn’t mean that I can’t do a different one making it my first. So while I feel a tinge of disappointment, I know that all I need to do is make a new plan.

I’m arranging one for June 6, making it available to my WW group, friends and people in the New York area who want to walk with a supportive and encouraging group. (More on that later.) But before that, I’d like to accomplish what I set out to accomplish when I signed up for a few weeks ago. I want to complete my first race.

A few days ago someone totally wise and awesome said “I tweet therefore I am?” And I jokingly agreed. I think his point was that going public with our goals can sometimes help us reach them. I make a lot of statements on my blog, and I tell the truth. Today, the truth is that I missed the first 5k so now I still need to complete one to reach that milestone. Of course, I’ll keep you posted. 😉

Karen@WaistingTime
    April 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

I feel like I also need to come clean in my blog. It keeps me accountable and motivates me. But I also write with way more optimism than I really feel… thinking similarly to your tweeter. If I write it, it will happen.

I have never run a 5K. I am impressed that you are planning one and will run one.

Seth
    April 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

It was probably the smarter of the two choices to pass — you probably have several 5k's to choose from in such a populated area.

keep up the good work and the results will definitely come.

jennykate77
    April 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

That is definitely not anything to get discouraged over. Life happens. Like you said, you just need a new plan! Looking forward to hearing all about your FIRST 5k!

Shell
    April 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm

You're not giving up and that's what matters. You were much smarter to look at the big picture than just one day. If running the 5K meant a week of missed workouts afterwards, you were better to skip it for sure.

Deb
    April 27, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Sometimes it's so hard when you get yourself ramped up to complete something and then the chance is taken away from you.

I think you made the right choice though. There are plenty of 5Ks, and you will still have a first one. 🙂

Debbie
    April 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I think you made the right choice. You will do your first one and they are fun..

Anonymous
    April 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Ahh, bummer, but sounds like you are rolling with the punches. (A stiletto, really? Really? That's sounds very painful! Maybe those shoes should have to be registered like weapons. LOL.) Glad to hear you aren't letting the injury get the best of you. Take care and heal well!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    April 28, 2010 at 12:38 am

You'll do it next time! Not your fault that someone punctured your foot.