Beauty Discrimination Lifestyle

No Surprise…

I’ve considered whether or not to chime in on this Lane Bryant v. ABC/Fox controversy, and I’ve decided that I will. Sadly, the reason I didn’t respond immediately is that I’m just not surprised.

A few months ago, I was out with a friend having sushi, and a stranger walked up to me only to say that I was gigantic. My response was simple…”You’re right..but if you knew me, you’d want to be me.” I held my chin up, winked and walked away, saving the sadness and anger for later.

A few weeks ago I was one of the first people in line for the Rachael Ray Show, but I was seated in the last row, and the same thing happened at The View, etc. I’m heavy. Few strangers are interested in looking my direction, and that’s not likely to change until I look drastically different. But I know who I am…I know who I’m becoming, and I am beginning to recognize the value that lies within me.

Over the last few years (including the year in which I’ve shed 25% of my body weight) I’ve been mocked and discriminated against because of my size. I’m doing the best I can do to change that, but until I’m “average” in size, I’m sure it will continue to happen.

And that leads me to my thoughts on this commercial. The beautiful model in this ad isn’t exactly fat. She’s not pre-pubescent either, but I wouldn’t mind having a body like hers today. And I’m willing to bet that I’m not the only one who feels this way.

So ABC and Fox can say whatever they want. By Monday, most will have forgotten anyway. My opinions on these networks haven’t changed. Why should they? I’ll still watch 24, and I’ll still despise reality shows. Discrimination against overweight people is no different today than it was before the ban on this commercial.

Heather B.
    April 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm

They BANNED that commercial?? Seems senseless to me! Certainly no different than the plus sized model that won America's Next Top Model last season!

Missa
    April 24, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I am really sorry you have had these experiences. How lame.

I don't know what to make of the Lane Bryant ad controversy. I don't get what the big deal was, other than the chick being ultra sexy. Maybe it scares all the skinny biatches… If they finally realized men really like curves, I don't know if they could live with themselves

BTW, LOVE your Karaoke. Kick A$$! You are super talented.
    Doing a 5k next Saturday in NYC. You should come!!

Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

Barb
    April 24, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Kudo's to you Kenz! Just so you know, I think that you are beautiful, just the way you are! I don't know you personally, but if I did, I would instantly be drawn to you, because you like yourself, and that's what counts! The person at the restaurant, was obviously having hid own identity crisis!!

It's very sad what commercialism has done to us – we are all victims of what society wants us to be, to a certain degree, simply because we can't avoid it! Some of us just don't conform like others! I like to think I'm one of those, non-conformists!

Thanks for posting, it was perfect!

Hugs,
    Barb

Deb Willbefree
    April 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Ohh. I haven't heard the controversy or the reason for banning the ad.

I don't think this model was anywhere near fat, I think she was beautiful. Was the ban stated to be r/t the lack of clothing? And people think it is really because of size? Like I said, what size? She's gorgeous.

Personally, I don't think any commercials should consist of women strolling around their bedroom in their underwear–regardless of their size. Unless it's late night. I mean, do I really want my 10 year old grandson seeing boobs and bras and panties? Really?

Deb

M
    April 25, 2010 at 1:00 am

I felt the same way when viewing the commercial.
    I'm so sorry to read of your experiences with ignorant people. Your response was brilliant and VERY true! 🙂
    I just recently found your blog, but enjoy getting to know you through your writings. I think we'd be great friends.
    M

Genie @ Diet of 51
    April 25, 2010 at 1:01 am

I haven't heard about the conflict, but the woman in this commercial is gorgeous.

And so are you! Not surprised, but sorry to hear about jerks out there that you sometimes encounter. Love your response to the stranger! WINK!!!

♥ Kenz ♥
    April 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Missa, I'd love to do a 5k next Saturday. I had planned to do my first yesterday, but after a woman bruised my foot, I declined. It's not as swollen today so I'd definitely be ready by Saturday.

♥ Kenz ♥
    April 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Deb, the controversy exists simply because they banned the LB ad though they allow Victoria Secret ads which are much more risqué. And those watching soap operas and such see much more during the day time hours as well. It's a weight issue, in my opinion and in the opinion of many others…that's all.

♥ Kenz ♥
    April 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm

It's so nice to receive constant support from you all. I didn't mean to make it sound as though I can't walk down the street without being attacked with viscous comments. It definitely happens a lot more than I wish it did, but as I said..I know who I am – they don't. And I look for it to continue lessen as as I lose weight. hehe
    Either way, I'm glad you friends see me as I am. Thanks for that…

Beth
    April 25, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I can't believe a total stranger had the guts to say something like that to you. Yay to you for having an excellent comeback! I think you rock – no matter what size you are!

Diz
    April 25, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Wow, I've been so caught up in my own little world, I had no idea this was even happening out there! I think it's lame they'd pull the ad. But like you said- whatever. Things will not change because a few tv stations are dumb.

Miss you! Let's chat soon…

xoxo

D

Anonymous
    April 26, 2010 at 4:12 am

Kenz,
    I think you are beautiful. That jerk has the problem, not you, and what a great comeback.

Supposedly, the ad was pulled because it was supposed to play during the 8:00 hour, during American Idol. We'll see if it eventually shows up at a later hour.

Cindy

Deb
    April 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I'm not surprised either. I remember noticing, when I lose weight last time, how perfect strangers treat you differently. Nobody strikes up a conversation with the fat lady in the grocery store line, but they did with the tall thin one.

I don't know if it will ever change.