Emotions Family Healthy Living Travel

Trying To Relax…

I love to travel so flying is a big part of my life, but I’m still a little anxious about it. I posted about flying as an overweight person in August when I had lost 37 pounds. Now I’m 93 pounds lighter, and I’m comfortable flying. But I still have a long way to go before I no longer worry about being the heavy girl seated next to someone else.

People often judge quickly, but the truth is that I’m a model passenger. Once I’m seated, I don’t move for the duration of the flight, and I fit into my seat without monopolizing the arm rest. I’m also extraordinarily polite if someone speaks to me. And I don’t pack smelly foods that may make others hungry or sick. But until I look like an average person, I’ll be a little nervous before boarding.

I’m more excited today than I have been because on a Jet Blue flight last month I was able to utilize the seat table in front of me for the first time. I’m not flying Jet Blue tomorrow so I’m not sure if the table will fold out, but I hope it does because I’ll use my laptop to catch up on episodes of Ruby and 24! 🙂 If not, I’ll watch them on my iPod, but it was so gratifying to use the table in front of me that I hope I can again.

I still need a seat belt extension, but less than a year from now that should be a thing of the past. The anxiety I feel before flying should be gone by then too. I feel so good. And I know I’ve come so far which will make tomorrow much easier. But I can’t wait to look forward to the amazing trips I take without a hint of worry. I know I just have to keep moving forward. It’s not always easy, but days like these remind me that it’s worth it.

Do you become anxious before flying? Are you nervous about your size when boarding an airplane?

Deb Willbefree
    April 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I don't get anxious about my size when boarding a plane, although I do when thinking about boarding rides at amusement parks. So embarrassing when I didn't quite fit and…well, that's a different post..

I get anxious about being stuck on the tarmac–I'm a little claustrophobic and it could get ugly.

I've flown in a helicopter–with no door. I almost fell out. sigh. Over Mt Rushmore. At least planes have doors.

I'm glad your last flight was a victorious one–I hope this one will be the same.

Deb

Tricia
    April 12, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I used to stress about flying for the same reasons. I dreaded the looks I'd get from other passengers and always felt bad for the people next to me.

125 pounds down, I flew last week (jet blue incedentally), and was finally able to enjoy it. 🙂 Yippeeee

Lisa
    April 12, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Hey Kenz…I've actually been reading your blog for a few weeks and I really enjoy it! I love your enthusiasm for life!
    I have never been to nervous to fly until my last vacation… I had 4 flights total and my first 3 went fine, but when the 4th one rolled around I sat down and my seat belt wouldn't fasten. It was the worst feeling I had ever had. I placed my coat over my lap and just had to pretend. But I was so afraid that someone would notice. Now obviously this seat belt happend to by smaller than the others on previous flights, but it would have fit had I not let myself gain so much weight!
    Flying home that night I just stared out the window and cried. I signed up for weight watchers the very next day! I have lost about 14 lbs and I vow to never experience that agaiN!

Barb
    April 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Kenz,

You are amazing! Don't worry about a thing – it will all be good! Have a wonderful trip and relax!!

Hugs,
    Barbg

Becca
    April 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Awesome!! I am excited about your trip!!

~Becca

Joanna
    April 13, 2010 at 5:28 am

I am a total b*tch when I fly. No joke. I'm 6ft tall and yes, overweight, but not enough that I impose on others. It may sound silly, but my long legs are what make for an incredibly uncomfortable flying situation as the seats are SO close together and my knees jut into the chair back in front of me. I always aim for an exit row seat and I NEVER sit in the middle or window seat. Aisle it is, and there is no compromise on that. Not only for my convenience, but for the people in front of me. Having an aisle seat allows me to maneuver my legs so that I'm not pushing on their seat while they're sitting straight up, much less if they attempt to recline their chair back.