In A Better Place

You know, I’m so lucky to have support from so many. So many of you stay poised and ready to encourage me precisely when I need it. Thank you so much! When I started my blog I had no idea that it would become such an uplifting experience. I’m seriously in awe..And today, the sun is shining, flowers are in bloom…and I’m thankful that those few less than perfect days are history.

I wrote the prior post late Sunday night, and I’m happy to say that Monday was an extraordinarily healthy day for me. I ate exceptionally well and exercised. And I’ve done the same so far today. I’m back in the groove. And it seems like, once again, the one day at a time approach is working. I’ll continue to do my best throughout the day and worry about tacking tomorrow, you know, tomorrow. 😉 I’m still prepared to face the consequences when I step on the scale Wednesday. But I know that if I continue down this path success will find me again soon.

Now I want to talk about my new favorite thing. If you know me, you know I love to read. I read ‘chick lit’ regularly (i.e. Sophie Kinsella, Nicholas Sparks, Jennifer Weiner, Jen Lancaster, etc.) I also enjoy historical books and autobiographies of public officials, and I’m determined to revisit some of the classics – the first being “The House of Mirth” by Edith Wharton.

I travel fairly often which means I carry a book or two which can get pretty heavy when I’m reading a book by Stephenie Meyer. During my last two trips I considered whether or not I should buy an e-reader, but I brushed it off thinking that there’s just something I love about flipping the pages of a book. And while that’s true, I’ve decided to an e-reader.

Friday, while I was at Barnes & Noble, I purchased a Nook. I had looked at the iPad, but it’s way too big. (I already have a nice Macbook and an iPhone.) I wanted something small and readable inside and outside as well so after spending an hour or so with the Nook, I bought it. I was frustrated with it at first, but since I’ve learned how to use it I love it.

I’ve created a small list of reasons for liking the Nook:

• It’s small/light enough that I can hold it with one hand
  • It’s easy on my eyes
  • It seems to hold it’s charge for a few days
  • It has wi-fi so I can easily download books, check weather reports and/or read my personalized subscription to the Wall St. Journal
  • The cute little case I bought with it keeps it covered and looking pretty with a picture of my dog on the front
  • It costs roughly a third of the 3G iPad
  • It has built-in speakers and a headphone port so I can listen to music or audiobooks
  • It’s really cute
  • Books are available for less $$ than I had imagined, and there are plenty of free books available online
  • I can add my own .pdf files

The interface took a little time to get used to because I’ve grown accustomed to a full touch screen, but it’s pretty easy to navigate. And I also wish it had a back light so I could read in the dark. Instead, I use my cute, little book light. But it is definitely light enough to carry in my bag everyday, and I’m looking forward to taking it on my next trip in June.

I’ll still read regular books, but this is certainly another piece of technology that I’m excited to own. Do you use an e-reader? If so, which one? And what do you think of it?

************

One more thing…after reading my blog dailies, I learned that 6pm.com is selling Sperry Top-Siders for up to 65% off today. I just ordered two pairs. Thanks for sharing this awesome sale info Kimberly. I bought this pair at Nordstrom in March, and I think they’re fantastic! How much cooler would it be to buy them for almost 50% off today? I love Sperry! They’re comfortable and classic – you can’t go wrong.

Tammy
    May 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Kenz – I'm so glad that you are back in the groove! I think I am, too! I have a Kindle (anniversary gift from DH last year), and I love it. It's the bigger Kindle. The first book I downloaded was Jen Lancaster's! Love her! I haven't been using it as much lately, but I did recently download some books as DH gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas. And, Jen has another book out. She was working on Kindle rights, and I haven't checked back to see if the book is available. I can't read while I'm on the treadmill (I guess I bounce too much!), but I like to use the Kindle while on the recumbent bike. I'm glad I checked your post — I'm feeling so much better after reading it!

Angela
    May 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Kenz! I just love reading your posts. They are always so uplifting and encouraging!! You are so beautiful and it gives me such inspiration to watch you through your journey! Keep it up! And can I just say I'm jealous about the Nook? Have you tried to take it to the gym yet? I'm wondering how easy it would be to use on the treadmill or eliptical?

♥ Kenz ♥
    May 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Angela, I haven't taken it to the gym. First, I've been doing cardio outside because the weather is beautiful. Secondly, I tend to do my best when I'm concentrating on the beat of the music blaring in my ears from my iPod. If I'm able to read and comprehend then I'm not working out hard enough. hehe If you're nore talented at that than I am then it would definitely be great for you. Unlike the iPad, it's small enough to place on the machine and there's no glare..It's excellent.

♥ Kenz ♥
    May 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Tam…I'm glad to hear that you're back in the groove too. It's easy to fall out for a bit, but it feels so good to be back in. 🙂

Thanks for the continued encouragement!

Tammy
    May 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Kenz – Jen's new book is not out on Kindle – yet! I clicked on the link to request it from the publisher. It doesn't look like B&N has it, either. ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

One of my WW friends was just asking me why I thought I was losing motivation. She wanted to know if it is because our leader uses me as an example so much that I feel pressured to do well. I said that I think it some of that, and that I think I was a little burned out on some of my food choices. I bought some different kinds of fruit for this week, since more is becoming available with the warmer weather. I haven't had grapefruit in forever, and it is yummy! Unfortunately, there are just some fruits that I don't like raw – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. They are all good in things – muffins, waffles, shortcake, etc., though!!!

Thank you for helping us all with your blog!

Becca
    May 4, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I borrow my mom's Kindle for a trip last year and while I liked it, I can't see myself getting one. I am a cheapo when it comes to reading- I borrow, go to the library, or half-price books to get what I want. I have a back log of over 30 books on my shelves to read…..so no e-readers for me now.

~Becca

Angela
    May 4, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Good Point Kenz! I should probably focus more on what I'm doing at the gym rather than what I'm reading. I just get SO bored! What are your secrets from not getting bored while doing cardio at the gym?

♥ Kenz ♥
    May 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Tammy…have you tried things like sweet potatoes? They're one of the most healthy vegetables out there. Also, if you need to eat more fruits and veggies why not try a triple berry smoothie for one point? 3/4 c blueberries, 1 cup crushed ice, blueberry WW nonfat yogurt…blend it all together and it's a hugely satisfying smoothie. I have all kinds of fruit smoothie one point recipes, and they're so refreshing especially now.

I also try to make new recipes fairly often..I'm trying several this week like minestrone soup and magherita pizza and spinach lasagna rolls. If you're interested, I can post links.

I hope you find your motivation again soon – and in full force. It's not easy, but it feels awesome to be back in the groove.

You're doing great overall..keep moving forward..

♥ Kenz ♥
    May 4, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Angela, I listen to upbeat music that I love…it fires me up. And as I stare at myself in the (way too big) mirrors, I look at how much smaller I've become..and that fires me up even more.

I also daydream..:)

Angela
    May 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Kenz, please post the recipes for your magherita pizza and spinach lasagna rolls! Mouth watering just thinking about it!

Tammy
    May 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I bought Hungry Girl's new cookbook and tried a couple of those recipes. She has a whole chapter of recipes for 1 person (DH is extremely picky and won't eat veggies). I love sweet potatos – I actually have one at home. I think I'm getting enough fruits and veggies, but I'm just eating the same ones. I'm branching out this week – pears, grapefruit, pineapple. Thanks for being so concerned!

Anonymous
    May 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm

The House of Mirth. Great choice. I love Wharton and Henry James, too, of course. Their vision of society and human beings is so timeless. Enjoy!

Deb Willbefree
    May 4, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Hey, Kenz! Welcome back! 😀 I knew you'd get your grrove on. There was no doubt. Sometimes just the acto of writing out our dismay and panic is enough to clear out the underbursh that's tripping us up.

I have a question. What does "DH" stand for. Dear husband? Darn husband? Delusional husband? DearHeart? sigh.

So behind the times,
    Deb

Tammy
    May 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I believe it is dear husband — that's how I'm using it, anyway! Although, DH's real initials are DB, and one of our friends has taken that to mean Ding Bat! She means it in a good way, I'm sure!

Bombshell Beauty
    May 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I almost bought a Nook last week – because I really wanted one of the Kate Spade Nook covers! More, even, than I actually wanted the Nook. I didn't bite that day, but am seriously contemplating the purchase.