Maintaing Focus

It’s is weigh-in day. I usually look forward to this more than any other day of my week, but today I have mixed feelings about it. I did not do my best this weekend. I exercised, yes, but I ate very poorly. I posted about it Monday, saying I’d do my best from that point forward, and that is precisely what I’ve done.

I cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner at home each day, and I limited my intake of processed foods choosing healthy, whole foods instead. I pushed myself each time I exercised. I even did an extra cardio session yesterday after completing my regular cardio workout in the morning.

Yesterday I found myself saying “If I get what I deserve when I step on the scale, it won’t be good.” But the truth is that I’ve had more healthy days than unhealthy so I hope it’s not as bad as I think it could be. Regardless, I know that I have to keep moving forward, and I will.

If I continue eating the way I’ve eaten since Monday I should see a good loss next week. And while it’s terribly frustrating to know that I should have/could have made better choices over the weekend, I won’t be too hard on myself today. I’ve already felt the regret, and I’ve already turned it around. Looking back and feeling angry with myself won’t make the scale show a different number. Doing my best one day at a time will.

In life, sometimes we have to accept the consequences of our actions. And I’m prepared to accept mine today even though I’d prefer a miracle. 😉 I’ve come a long way, and I have a long way to go. But I love my life, and I love who I’ve become. So today, I’ll focus on that and try to remember it regardless of my weight.

I normally ask for luck, but today I’m asking for you to wish me courage as I step on the scale and as I move into a new week. William Ernest Henley wrote “I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.” He clearly understood that it’s never too late to change your course. And I’m confident that the changes I made Monday will breed success in the coming weeks. Until then, I’ll continue doing my best because when I do it works. That has been evident over the last 13 months, and I want to look back 13 months from now still believing that it’s true.

************

And because I’m feeling literary today, take moment to read this poem by William Ernest Henley. He faced adversity head on…

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Shell
    May 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Wishing you courage and great things.

You are, as always, an inspiration.

Anonymous
    May 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Wishing you courage to accomplish all you want!!

Would you do a post on healty foods you eat sometime when you get a chance. I'm doing ok with WW online but needing some new food choices. I get 24 daily points and sometimes it seems like they are gone in no time!
    Laura

Bonnie
    May 6, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Courage, Kenz! The scale is not the only indicator of success – you got right back on the path after a quick step off – that is success in itself. I can't wait to hear how it goes tonight!

Frau
    May 6, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Look ahead and may luck be on your side…you are only human! Good Luck!

♥ Kenz ♥
    May 6, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Laura, I'm so excited to write a post about healthy, low point recipes. I'll share it soon…:)

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    May 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Sending lots of courage your way! Always better to face it head-on than to try to hide and avoid…and you know, you MAY be pleasantly surprised…Your body has been losing for a while, so it may just keep right on going!

Get on the scale, see the number, and then keep on keeping-on…No one is perfect. (Recently, I had an extended, nasty relapse of emotional eating, so I know where you're coming from. Just do what you've been doing – this time next week, it'll all be just a memory.)

Courage, my love, courage!

Deb Willbefree
    May 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I loved Invictus when I was a teenager. It's been a long time since I've read it. Thanks.

I pray that you feel the courage that you have–and I ask for grace!

Onward and forward, girlfriend.

Deb

M
    May 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Wishing for you mighty courage! I think you have it with you every day. Look at the way you have handled this week!
    All the best for you!!!

Keri
    May 7, 2010 at 1:45 am

Wow. Thank you for sharing that poem, it really spoke to the place I'm in right now. You continue to inspire me even in your times of being less than perfect (who isn't) it lets me know I'm not alone. Rock on sister!!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    May 7, 2010 at 1:59 am

That you pulled it together and you're back on track is the most important thing. There will be good results on the scale again!

Barb
    May 7, 2010 at 4:45 am

Great post Kenz! You have such a positive attitude, and that's what counts – especially when it comes to making changes in the way that we need to live and take care of ourselves – you have done so good and will continue to do so!