Weigh-In Weight Watchers

Honesty

Today is weigh-in day. And it’s also my 100-pound party with my WW friends, but there’s a cloud looming in my sky. And I don’t think I’ll feel better until I get it off my chest.

I’ve been more honest in the last year of my life than I’ve ever been – with myself and others. I’ve learned that it’s okay to be exactly who I am today. People like me, and I like myself. And I don’t know if I’m happier about the weight I’ve lost so far or the self-acceptance I’ve found. But I’m utterly grateful for both. So it’s time to share the results from yesterday and my plan of attack for today and the rest of the week. Because as much as I’d like to forget it happened, I can’t – I shouldn’t.

Most of you know that I decided I’d weigh-in on Wednesdays and see how I liked it. Let’s just say it’s not happening again. Sure, the leader and receptionist were friendly enough (if you don’t mind a little condescension with your weigh-in.) But it was not my group. It was my not my leader or my receptionist who have shown the utmost respect and belief in me since day one. I’ve said before that I’m so thankful that I found the group that I found because if I hadn’t, I probably wouldn’t have gone back.

Anyway, I didn’t like being there yesterday morning. And sadly, that’s not the worst part. When I weighed in, the receptionist recorded that I was up 5.4 pounds. Yes, up! Can you imagine? Now…I don’t spend a lot of time making excuses, but I do like to know where I went wrong or how I can resolve it. And I have a couple of theories.

First, I ate a cupcake and 17 pretzel M&M’s on Monday, but I counted the points. That’s not enough to cause a 5 pound gain (or any gain for that matter.) I also ate a few cups of Pad See Yew late Monday night. It is only 4 WW points per serving, but it’s loaded with sodium! I know my body, and I know it takes time to release the added sodium so I try to stay away from it most days, but Monday I relished in it.

My second theory is that I should not weigh-in early morning (unless I do it every week) because I eat dinner so late. Tuesday night I finished dinner around 10:45. Yes, I know that’s late. But I have a late schedule. I don’t usually sleep before 2 am, and some evenings (like last night) you’ll find me working out at midnight! I’ve tried to change my schedule, but the thought of sleeping before 1 or 2 am just depresses me. That being said, maybe it’s better that I weigh-in late afternoon instead. (For the record, I know that it doesn’t matter how I do it as long as I do it consistently. I’m just referring to why I could show such a massive gain from last week to this week.)

And my last theory is just that I’m a girl. There are certain weeks in which I’ve had gains of 5 lbs, 3 lbs, etc. And the following week, I weigh 7 pounds less. So, it happens…if you’re a woman or just a smart guy, you probably know that women retain water during certain times of the month. Enough said.

So these are the reasons floating around my head. I know that I could have eaten better foods so perhaps that’s the real reason. All I can say is that I will eat well this week because nothing that trivial will keep me from continuing on toward my goal.

And because I have the best leader ever, she’s going to arrive a few minutes early to weigh me today. She does not, nor does Weight Watchers condone weighing more than once a week. She’s just going to let me do it because I think I’d rather continue weighing in at our meeting. The nice thing about Weight Watchers is that everyone – the leaders, the receptionists, even our beloved CEO, is that we’re all familiar with the challenges of losing weight and keeping it off.

I’ll let you know what happens on the scale today, and I’ll also fill you in on the party and the late night party with The Amish Outlaws. 🙂 It’s going to be a fantastic day because the cloud has lifted. I am proud of who I am today and confident in whom I can become.

Annie
    June 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

You should be so proud of yourself! Look what you have done in the last year. WOW! Have a great time at your party, you deserve to be celebrated!

Jen
    June 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Chin up lovely… All the above reasons are valid and there is a reason why ww advise you weigh in once a week at the same time – the results you get are more accurate that way! I honestly believe that the weigh in today at your regular time will show better results… If not you know not to get down about it and continue the amazing work you've already been doing! x

♥ Kenz ♥
    June 3, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I know you're right Jen. I had considered changing to Wednesday mornings in general, but I didn't like it immediately upon stepping into the room. It wasn't MY room that day…the room is the same, but the people make all the difference.

I'm comfortable where I am. If the scale shows the same thing today or something much worse, my group will be there to support me. And nothing compares to that.

LDswims
    June 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Honesty is a pretty awesome thing. It shows an incredible level of respect for yourself and even for everyone interested in your progress! It shows a commitment that can be beaten back.

So long as you keep respecting yourself, you will come out ahead. I hope today's weigh-in is much better but even if it's not, next week it certainly will be. There are a ton of reasons why there might be a gain in a week and sometimes it's just bad timing. Eventually it comes out in the wash!

Keep on keepin on!!

And nice to meet you, by the way.

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    June 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Ahhh, I'll bet your WI will be as you hope today! A 100 lb party…I love it.

Is "Pad See Yew" really the name??? Maybe it should be "Pad – See Yew At The Scale"! Salt is an evil thing!!!

Tammy
    June 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm

When you didn't post any results of your weigh-in yesterday, I was afraid that something like this had happened. I'm sorry that the day didn't go as well as you had hoped. I agree that the people make the meeting. I hope that the weigh-in today is better. You are more than a number on the scale, though. Enjoy your party — how fun!

Lisa
    June 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm

The scale never tells the whole story. It could be any number of things. Sodium…our lovely monthly visitor…whatever.

I hope your meeting goes well. That's great that you have such an awesome leader. Good luck 🙂

Delane
    June 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

gains happen, its when they are 2 and 3 weeks in a row that they are problem.

Diz
    June 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Girl, you know as well as anyone that gains happen, even when we least expect them. I'm sorry to hear the gain happened, but I don't believe it was a permanent gain- which is GREAT! Go back to what's comfortable for you!!! xoxoxox-

D

Deb
    June 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm

At least now you know, and you won't continue questioning whether you're making the right decision. The people make all the difference.

The gain is probably a combination of all the things you've mentioned. I suspect it will be gone very soon. 🙂

Genie @ Diet of 51
    June 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Not the Amish Outlaws!! They are crazy!

Now you know that Weds WW is not for you. You wondered about it; you tried; you didn't like. So, go back to what has been working for you.

It's easy to pick up five pounds under all of those conditions. I've also heard that when the weather initially gets hot, our bodies retain water in anticipation of sweating more. So, add that one, too.

Deb Willbefree
    June 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Sodium is the bane of my existence. It is. I can gain 5 to 7 pounds overnight and then it takes a week for me to lose it. ugh. Hopefully your sodium indulgence doesn't carry as cruel a consequence. This afternoon's weigh-in may see it gone. 🙂 Regardless, hooray for honesty! Deb

P.S. Ain't the body a tricky thing?

Drazil
    June 4, 2010 at 1:49 am

I puffy heart you and your cute little face. That is all.

Keri
    June 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm

You are so amazing.. even after a gain you remain so positive. I wish I had your confidence and spirit!

Anonymous
    June 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

These are the experiences that we tuck under our belts and carry with us into successful long term maintenance. Practice practice practice. It lasts a life time.

Love,
    Jill

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com
    June 5, 2010 at 3:14 am

My weight fluctuates so much each day. It's really different from morning until night. I bet it was just the time of day that threw it off. I bet it will be right down at your next weigh in!

XOXO
    Jen

Sean Anderson
    June 8, 2010 at 3:54 am

You're so right my friend. That wasn't a real gain—and you know that! I'm very happy you re-weighed.
    Your attitude, commitment, and amazing spirit—is absolutely refreshing to read. Thank you so much for everything you do!

My best always