I Don’t Know

Today is weigh-in day which is usually pretty exciting. But the last few weeks have been rough, and I’m anxious to see the 100 pound milestone in the rear view mirror. I’m not sure what the result will be when I step on the scale because I haven’t really followed my regular plan in the last few days.

I have not been hungry. In fact, I’ve been sick to my stomach for a few days so I haven’t eaten as much as usual. I usually consume 35 WW points per day, and I have only eaten 26 per day since Monday. I’ve learned that it’s important to eat all of my points, and I didn’t do that this week. So what will that mean for the scale?

I worked out all week – even today which wasn’t easy. (Not feeling so great, remember?) And I have to be honest..if I don’t see a loss this week, I’ll be upset. I don’t like the feeling I get when I’m forcing myself to eat something. I’ve done it before in the hopes of losing because I’ve heard how important it is to eat enough. But this week I just couldn’t do it. Well, I suppose I could have…I just didn’t.

I ate what I felt like my body needed, and after feeling sick Monday night when I forced myself to eat broccoli, I decided to take it easy. We’ll see how it goes. I hope I’m not disappointed in myself for listening to my body.

Either way, I have to keep looking forward. I know what I’m supposed to do, and I need to do it (even when that means I need to eat more.) So wish me luck when I step on the scale. I might need it. More importantly, wish me strength. I need that too.

Do you ever struggle to eat enough? Am I the only overweight person on the planet who sometimes struggles to eat enough? Just wondering…

Deb Willbefree
    June 10, 2010 at 5:18 am

Oddly, I'm having the same trouble–not eating enough, I mean. Sooooo, ironic, isn't it?

The thing is, I never was a really big FOOD eater. I mean I ate little before dinner and dinner would be a normal person's sized meal–not skimpy–but not huge either. Of course, it was full of fat and calories, but not huge quantities of food.

My calories came after 9pm at night. Ice cream, cookies, candy. Huge amounts of calories.

Now that I've cut most of that out, and have increased my meal sizes with low fat items and
    all of these servings of fruits and veggies–well, I'm tired of eating long before I run out of calories each day.

I've been "force-feeding" myself in the evening to make sure I get those 5 servings of veggies. and then eating fruit to get to at least 1200 calories.

But, lately, I've been wondering if that's not counter-productive. I mean, part of the point here is to only eat when you're hungry, right?

And, I notice that when I have that dish of cauliflower after dinner to get that last veggie serving in—when I eat it when I'm really not hungry–THEN after I've eaten it, I do want to eat. I think it triggers those old brain cells. They wake up and say–"Oh, wait, we can eat when we're not hungry now? Whoopee!"

The good news is that I almost always have 300 or more calories left before I hit my lower limit of 1200–hence the fruit. But do I really need to eat them? Really?

I'll be interested in seeing how your weigh-in goes. It sounds like your only significant change is that you've eaten less. πŸ™‚ We may learn something from your unintentional research project. πŸ™‚

Deb

Bella
    June 10, 2010 at 11:55 am

I wish that I had your problem… I do eat when I know that i'm not hungry… it's a hard habit to break, and i'm living for the day that i'll be in your boat.

I think it's weird advice(and a little counterproductive, i'm with you Deb) to tell you to eat if you aren't hungry… be interested to know where you heard that?

Vaia
    June 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm

You are not alone! There are times on the WW plan that I struggle to meet all of my points for the day. There are also times where I struggle to not exceed all of my points for the day. You just need to listen to your body – it will almost always tell you what it needs.

Good luck tonight!

Christine
    June 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Yes, I struggle to eat enough. I have suffered from disordered eating for most of my life. I go through phases when I will eat everything in sight, often for no reason at all, to eating very little or nothing for vast periods of time. It's no wonder my body (and its metabolism) got all kinds of screwed up. I am extremely fortunate to have gotten gastric banding surgery, and the band now limits how much food I can eat. An average day consists of about 800 calories for me. (I can eat more calories than that, but only if I'm pounding away the milkshakes!) If you think about it, if you're eating healthy vegetables, it's actually pretty HARD to consume a lot of calories!

If you're determined to see a loss on the scale this week, then I just encourage you to keep eating normally and healthfully, drink LOTS of water to make sure you don't retain salt-bloat, get lots of fiber so you aren't retaining poop-bloat, and push yourself to move (aka: exercise) whenever you can.

Keep up the great work!

Jessica
    June 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I struggle with not knowing WHAT to eat. I want to eat healthy and afraid of eating something that isn't good for me. Then I get so overly hungry and I eat whatever I can find (which is usually candy, cookies, sweets) ugh!! It is so frustrating!!!

Bombshell Beauty
    June 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm

The sentence you wrote about hoping you're not disappointed for having listened to your body really resonated with me, Kenz. Because so much of your journey has been about learning to listen to your body, and give it what it needs. Regardless of the numbers on the scale today – remember all the great things you've gained from listening to your body, ok? You're great!!

Anonymous
    June 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I keep a carton of old style cream in the fridge for that reason. A tablespoon or two in my evening tea is soothing to the tummy and helps me get my calorie intake to adequate levels. It worked well for Grandma (she lived to 96), and it feels right to me.

Anonymous
    June 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm

A recent article in a psychiatry journal indicated that over 25% of people who seek help to lose weight may have an eating disorder, such as binge eating disorder. One aspect of eating disorders that is problematic is the feeling of control that accompanies the restriction of one's eating. In other words, excessively restricting one's eating can become compulsive, connected with a feeling of control. (A person doesn't have to be anorexic for this to happen.) A similar phenomenon can happen with compulsive exercise to control one's unpleasant feelings. It is not obvious to the person doing the food restricting or the compulsive exercising, and thus may become a serious problem before he or she realizes that the attempt to control has gotten compulsive. (There may be a genetic component involved that determines who is more suseptible to developing an eating disorder and who is not, so you may not even be predisposed.)

It is important not to start restricting eating for the sake of manipulating one's emotions. It probably doesn't hurt to eat less than one's points for a day or two, now and then in response to less hunger, but if the practice becomes a response to cope with anxiety (if you notice an increased sense of self-satisfaction or control, or a reduction in anxiety in response to eating less) then it may be helpful to consult a professional, such as a Registered Dietician or eating disorder counselor.

Unfortunately, I see quite a bit of compulsive restriction and compulsive exercise being pursued by weight loss bloggers. Their lives become consumed by obsessive practices and once again they lose the precious freedom that they worked so hard to find through weight loss.

It is good to be asking these questions, Kenz! This shows you are being careful with your health and trying to nurture your spirit as well as your body.

AndreaLeigh
    June 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Good luck at weigh in. No advice as I am always hungry and wanting more. Take it easy so you don't overtax your body though!

Annie
    June 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I have been under point most of this week, too, simply because at the end of the day I'm not hungry and don't want to eat anything more. I think it is good to listen to your body! If you're not hungry, then don't eat.

I keep in mind the old WW points systems, too, where they'd give you a range of points to eat and then they didn't have the 35 weekly points. Here are the ranges:

350+ 32-37
    325-349 31-36
    300-324 30-35
    275-299 29-34
    250-274 28-33
    225-249 26-31
    200-224 24-29
    175-199 22-27
    150-174 20-25
    >150 18-23

Anyway, if you eat within those ranges and not use the 35 weekly points, then you should be losing. It worked years ago for those on WW!

Good luck tonight, I'll be weighing in, too!

Sarita
    June 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I had RNY Gastric Bypass in April and since that time have a hard time eating enough. I know it's not the same, but I know what you're talking about. Good luck at weigh in!

Miki
    June 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I'm not sure about the points system, as I've never don't Weight Watchers, but when my calories were higher I had a hard time getting all the food in. But I believe that we should always listen to our bodies, above all else. So good luck with your weigh in!

Sean Anderson
    June 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I really appreciate your understanding of the importance of eating to lose. It breaks my heart when I hear someone say "I just don't eat," because we both know—it doesn't work that way, at least not in a healthy way.
    The metabolism needs fuel to work—and really, not to second guess myself, but while marveling at your success, I realize I probably could have been eating a little more the entire time!!
    I'm with you—somedays, I find myself eating something just to meet my daily limit. I try to budget better—but somedays, you know…

Genie @ Diet of 51
    June 10, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I can honestly say that I have never struggled to eat enough!

I believe that you will see results on the scale tonight. You do so many things right!