Emotions Quotes Reflection weight loss

It’s In Me

Yesterday was stressful at points, but it was also incredible at points. And in the stream of mixed emotions I’ve found myself reflecting on what has changed in my life over the last year.

Someone important to me, who has faced the challenges that I’m facing now only to find himself on the side of victory, summed it up better than I’ve ever been able to. He said “The way out was found because I completely surrendered the dishonesty within, the excuses, and the rationalizations that always gave me reasons to fail.” And like many things he says, this resonates within me.

I have had ups and downs on this journey which began about 429 days ago, but the voice inside me presses on because when I’m honest with myself I know I can do this. I also know that I have to continue to be honest with myself for this to work…to leave behind the reasons/excuses that brought me to the point in which I had to change or miss out on my life. And I have let them go. They no longer shape who I am.

My life changed when I realized that “what happens to me is not as important as what happens within me.” The justifications I found for fast food…the short-lived happiness I felt while eating too much Chinese food and soda while watching Gilmore Girls could never compare to the inner joy that flows from the depths of my being every time I realize that I’m making choices to shape my life to be what I want it to be.

I have a long way to go, but if you’ve ever been where I am then maybe you can relate to the unparalleled confidence I have in myself and my ability to reach my goal – which, by the way, is more than a number on the scale. I want to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, but I also want to maintain a healthy outlook in other aspects of my life.

Somewhere along this journey I discovered that being who I am is okay because I love the person I’ve become. I’m not ashamed..I’m not afraid. I am focused and strong. And it’s all been buried inside me the whole time.

Growing isn’t always easy, but the rewards are definitely worth the effort. It isn’t magic. It’s just takes determination. And today, I’m more determined than ever to live the life has played over and over in my dreams. I’m on my way, and I cannot imagine wanting to be anywhere else.

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    June 8, 2010 at 8:51 am

Great post, Kenz, and a very eloquent way of putting things into perspective. You're right – if you're lying to yourself, then it's not going to work.

I love your strength and determination. You WILL make it.

Bella
    June 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

Such a motivational post, Thx Kenz! 🙂

Tammy
    June 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for writing this! I've been off track for a couple of weeks, and your friend's quote hit a chord with me, too. I feel more motivated than I have lately, so I'm going to get right back on that weight loss horse! I bought a lot of fruit and veggies last night, I declined a pizza party at work tomorrow (I'm going to bring a Lean Cuisine pizza instead!), and I'm going to aerobics tonight (before Glee comes on!). I'm on the right track again, and it helps to know that you are, too!

{Absolutely, Positively} Josie
    June 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm

i love your spirit!

Anonymous
    June 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Enjoy today. I've been unemployed for months, barely making ends meet, and my savings are running low. Don't know where I'll end up. But I'm 85 lbs lighter than I used to be, and I walk every morning for miles, come rain or shine. This morning, six red-tail hawks were perched in a tree near my home. A convention, I suppose. 🙂 They were princes and princesses surveying their land in the dawn's first light.

I'm not saying I would rather see the hawks than have a job…but since I haven't found work, it is a blessing to be able to find beauty all around, if I stay open to the possibilities.

You brighten my days. Live.

Maranda
    June 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Great post, you have an awesome way of saying things I need to hear. Keep up the awesome work and don't let anything stop you from reaching your dreams.

SherRon, Shoes To Lose
    June 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for this. It is an excellent reminder to myself that I can do this! One step and one healthy choice at a time.

Thanks! 🙂

Lisa
    June 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I feel more motivated just reading your post 🙂

Miki
    June 8, 2010 at 5:29 pm

That was beautiful. And you're right, it is more important to be healthy and happy, in every way, than to reach some magical number on the scale. So many people lose track of that.

Vaia
    June 8, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I wrote about this today too! It totally resonates with me…sneaking out to the local fast food joint to grab a couple of hamburgers and comfort myself in front of the tv with a bag of chips.

I am beginning to be honest with myself and truly figure out why I eat my way through life.

Thanks Kenz – as always!!

Sean Anderson
    June 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I felt every word. You're such an amazing inspiration. I can relate so closely–and I can feel your clarity: The understanding of where you are, where you're headed, who you are, and what is really important to you—It's all very real, completely revealed to you BY YOU along this road. It's a beautiful freedom that has little to do with appearance, and everything to do with internal peace. That internal peace will carry you beyond your wildest dreams. Ready to fly? 😉

Thank you for taking the time and energy to share your story in this very powerful blog.

My best always,
    Sean

Diz
    June 8, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yayy!!! You're an inspiration babe, you know that though. I am so glad i have your posts to read in my life- cause I need motivation and determination too, and being able to read your posts help me to dig deep and find that motivation and determination I need to keep going. LOVE YOU!
    xoxo

D

Flabby McGee
    June 8, 2010 at 11:31 pm

this was awesome to read. Sometimes i get so caught up in NOW I forget what's up ahead. It's great to know that all the sacrifices are worth it in the long run!

Bombshell Beauty
    June 9, 2010 at 12:30 am

The way you express yourself is so beautiful. Much like all the rest of you!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    June 9, 2010 at 2:41 am

You are such a gift to this community! Thanks for sharing such personal and positive thoughts, as always!