Friends Reflection Weigh-In weight loss

"Lose The Scale" Really?

I weigh-in weekly, and I usually post the results on my Facebook status. And one of my long time friends, who is a respected doctor, always advises me to “lose the scale.” But I’m on a weight-loss journey so the scale seems like an important piece of the puzzle to me.

Over the last several months I have come to realize that the number on the scale is not the only way to gauge my progress, but it is definitely fundamental to tracking my progress. My friend believes that I should weigh-in once a month or every three months, but that’s just not going to happen..not while I’m actively trying to lose. I need to see the progress, but more importantly, I need the accountability.

There are people within this weight-loss blogging community who would agree with my friend. And while it doesn’t work for me, I know it works for some of them. My question for hose of you who are on a similar journey is what works for you? How often do you weigh-in?

Shell
    June 12, 2010 at 4:18 am

When I'm not ignoring the fact I need to lose weight I weigh in weekly. It keeps me motivated and accountable.

Corinna
    June 12, 2010 at 4:18 am

Honestly, I weigh several times a week, but I don't always record the weights or take them to heart. I am just very interested in seeing how my weight fluctuates and I think it makes me more accountable to what I am putting in my mouth.

Deb Willbefree
    June 12, 2010 at 4:57 am

OK. Just let me remind you that I am a little "eccentric" and do things that, perhaps, wouldn't work for the more normal soul.

Because I've been losing soooo slowly and became so discouraged by that, I changed weekly weigh-in tally to monthly weigh-ins and track the monthlies on my blog side bar.

BUT I weigh myself AT LEAST twice a day.

For one thing, I have to per MD. My weight from day to day determines if I have to take a water pill or not–CHF, you know. I am fully capable of gaining 5 pounds of fluid over night–I actually gained 7 pounds one time. (That would be my cake mix and water incident a few months ago.)

Anyway, I'd weigh myself daily even if I didn't have to medically. It helps me know, sort of, if I'm on the right track. I'd hate to be surprised at the end of the month with a 10 pound gain!

so, I weigh twice a day. BUT I only COUNT the weight on the last day of the month.

Somehow, If my weight from the end of one month to the end of the next shows a 3 pound loss, I get as excited as if I had lost it in a week.

shrug. I don't know how that works for me, but it does. 😀

Deb

Anonymous
    June 12, 2010 at 5:29 am

Every day!

Diz
    June 12, 2010 at 5:42 am

I used to weigh myself several times a day, but as you know, when my old roomie moved out, so did my scale and it was devastating to me. I've been without a scale and therefore only weighing in once a week for about a month and a half now, and I'm still not sure I like it. I'm trying to give it time- but weighing in everyday helped me gauge my progress better than weekly does…going into a weigh in blind is more stressful to me because I can't tell by looking in the mirror if I've lost or not. Weighing everyday helps me know what I need to do that day to stay down. Does that make sense? I hope that helps..

Heather
    June 12, 2010 at 7:45 am

Being on Weight Watchers, I get weighed at my meetings once a week. I know that every 4 weeks, the numbers may be a little higher (gotta love the "nature's monthly gift" bloat) or if I've gone on a salty snack binge. I think I would drive myself crazy if I tried to weigh every day. Too much stress. I just try to make the best choices I can each week, get in lots of activity, and then every Tuesday I touch base with those efforts. Works well for me!

Beth P.
    June 12, 2010 at 10:36 am

I weigh myself about once a month! I've never really depended on the number on the scale because I've always been heavier than I look (I am dense I guess, lol.). My weight loss journey is gauged by how I am feeling, because that is what is most important to me – I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. That said, this month I really wasn't feeling all that different, just a little stronger I guess, and I got on the scale to discover I'd lost about 14 lbs. It was a pleasant surprise!

Tammy
    June 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm

My official weight is what is on the scale at Weight Watchers every week, but I weigh myself at home every day. Just to see how I'm doing and what adjustments I may need to make. I want to have some idea of what will happen at my weigh-in before I get there.

Lori
    June 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm

It's such a personal thing about how often one weighs because of the relationship with the scale. I weigh daily most times, but the number doesn't bother me because it can jump around a lot from day to day. That's just me and I am okay with that. If it bothers you to see fluctuations, then weigh less often. If you are fine with it, then keep doing it.

That said, there are many other ways your body changes in a good way without seeing progress on the scale. I think that is more where your doctor friend was going. It's not just a number.

Sammie
    June 12, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Do NOT under any circumstances step off the scale! I speak from personal experience when I tell you this. I threw mine out about 5yrs ago and managed to gain 100lbs in that time. Ugh! Your weekly weigh-ins not only keep you accountable but I'm sure it also motivates you to see the progress and keep going.

M
    June 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I only step on the scale once a week. I used to drive myself crazy by weighing daily, but no more. Even more…shopping for smaller sizes always keeps me motivated!

AriSpark
    June 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sometimes I get in the habit of weighing everyday, just see how the things I eat affect my weight… but normally I like to do it once a week

SherRon, Shoes To Lose
    June 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I weigh myself several times a day…I don't see the harm in it. It doesn't affect my mood and it reminds me what I'm working for. I only count the number that my wii fit gives me every Saturday morning.

If I didn't have the reward from the scale, I'm sure I'd slack more than I do now.

Lisa
    June 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I have tried to ax the scale completely in the past. It just left me feeling anxious. I think the scale is a great "tool" if it's used responsibly. In other words, don't step on it 5 times a day. Don't undereat it it tells you something you don't like…etc. I think the scale can be dangerous for those with eating disorders, but I think when you're trying to lose weight once a week is best and keeps you focused and accountable. Plus…it's nice to see your progress. "Normal" weight people don't understand that losing 5 lbs when you have a lot to lose is different than those who don't. You don't feel it in your clothes or even see it in the mirror for awhile. By the way…my highest was 290…that is why I know 🙂

I think you seem very balanced and are using the scale as a tool.

Annie
    June 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I officially weigh in once a week, with WW. But at home…once a day, maybe more. I don't know why I feel like weighing myself so often, but I do right now. Probably because I'm new to WW and like to see the number dropping. I know I shouldn't more than once a week…but…oh well.

Haley
    June 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I weigh daily but dont take it to heart until I see the number for a few days

Keelie
    June 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I weigh every morning and every night. I know that I am going to weigh about 1 to 1.5 less in the morning than I do at night (unless I eat after my normal dinner time of 5pm). This keeps me on track and like someone else said it remnds me that I am making progress–and sometimes that I am NOT making progress.

Other times I have dieted a large gain would totally send me into an emotional eating binge and that would be the end of it. Maybe then it would have been helpful not to see the scale everyday. But this time is different for me and I know that no matter what the number is on any given day–in the grand scheme of things it is going down. I won't let it go any other way.

Bella
    June 13, 2010 at 4:56 am

At the final master class for our Biggest Loser contestants this year, the doctor recommended that they weigh themselves daily and I was gobsmacked at that advice.

I thought that accepted wisdom was that you need to only weigh monthly once you've reached your goal weight, or more frequently if you are having trouble maintaining.

Was this Doctor basically saying 'you'll always have troubles with your weight, so don't even let up for one day…'?

Scary to me… but I guess NOT looking at my scales is how I allowed myself to get so huge in the first place…

Jen
    June 13, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Yes totally. I become obsessed with the number. My self worth is based on that number. It can make or break my entire week. It is not healthy. I hate the scale and hold it has on me.

Delane
    June 16, 2010 at 1:34 am

daily, in the morning, after I pee, naked before I take my shower.

I only use my weekly WeWa WI as my official weight.

I have been weighing myself daily for 20 years.