Healthy Eating Healthy Habits Lifestyle Weight Watchers WW Points

They Don’t Love Me Back

I was supposed to fly home this morning, but that didn’t happen. I chose to stay a few days longer because time just moves too quickly when I’m here. I’ll miss my family when I leave, but I’m so thankful for the extra time with them now.

I haven’t posted much since I’ve been here because my mind has been focused on one thing, and it’s difficult to write about anything else. But I do need to shift my focus long enough to talk about cashews. Are they evil? No. Do I need them? No. Do I want them? Yes!

Earlier this week someone (who shall remain nameless) discovered cashews on Mom’s counter. And it’s not a regular can of cashews..it’s jumbo! I cannot imagine why anyone would need such a giant container of nuts, but we have them. And they’re not going anywhere…ha

See? This can is gigantic! The note says “Will you be happy that you ate these on Thursday? Just saying.”

I ate 3 or 4 one night with Sean that nameless guy then ate a few more after he was sleeping. For the record, a small handful is easily worth 4 WW points. The following day I found myself grabbing a couple each time I walked by them on the counter, and it hit me…I love cashews, but they don’t love me back! And hey, these things add up! I need to stop now.

When I struggle with something I write myself notes to keep myself focused on what I really want. So I grabbed a post-it and a pen and wrote a note to myself reminding me that I will not be happy that I grazed on cashews when I step on the scale next Thursday. And it worked.

I did not touch the cashews yesterday, and today I allowed myself to eat 3 cashews and nothing more. Obviously, it’s okay to eat more than 3 little nuts, but it’s not worth it to me. I prefer to get more ‘bang for my buck’ in the WW points department.

I don’t need cashews, but that’s not really the issue. This weight-loss journey is just the beginning of a lifetime of healthy habits. And my goal is simply to weigh my options and to make healthy choices from day to day. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I’m in a much better place than I was, and it feels good.

My mind is free, and my body is getting stronger day by day. These changes have not occurred overnight, and they’re far from complete. But I won’t give up because I value myself and my life far too much to do that. And I take pride in being a person who doesn’t give up.

Now I think it’s time to workout. Take that cashews!!!!

Kristin
    June 20, 2010 at 2:35 am

I love the idea of writing "notes"!!!! You're doing great – keep it up!

Janna
    June 20, 2010 at 3:07 am

Glad you are getting in some more quality family time!

Good for you for backing away from the cashews…

Have fun!

Amanda
    June 20, 2010 at 3:12 am

Pep talks are awesome. For me, I had to hide from the jar of White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter my beloved offspring "needed" me to buy today.

I put it up high, where I have to really really think about it before I dive in… with a large spoon.

That plus my husband is guarding it, LOL.

Enjoy your family πŸ™‚

Deb Willbefree
    June 20, 2010 at 3:52 am

:D! Deb

Rhonda
    June 20, 2010 at 4:10 am

I love cashews too! Who did you do tonight? Jillian or Richard? Okay, that sounds really bad. What exercise!

I love the note idea. I never thought of that!

DrTejas
    June 20, 2010 at 4:14 am

Loving the note idea! Will definitely be attacking some food items with post-its soon.

Way to not give in to temptation!

Heather
    June 20, 2010 at 6:07 am

Good for you! Awesome way to take control of the situation. I'm with ya on the WW points. They're brutal when it comes to nuts, especially my favorites… Pecans. Ouch! I believe they're 5 points an ounce.

Keep on with the great work, hun. You're looking gorgeous!

Sean Anderson
    June 20, 2010 at 8:18 am

Oh yes–the cashews on your counter, I loved them dearly. Like you, it's a love/hate relationship for those little dreamy things. I love the taste but I can't tolerate the horrible calorie value very long. I could prepare a homemade personal pita pizza, dripping with cheese and loaded with veggies, for less calories than a tiny serving of those things. I could whip up an omelet that would completely fill a plate and my appetite for less calories than a handful of those wonderful nuts.
    I did enjoy them with you—and enjoyed discovering that you feel the same way about them as I do.
    Your note on the cashews is an absolutely brilliant move. A solid reminder of the possible consequence of our indulgence. Occasionally, we'll have to share a small package–just because we can, in a very normal/responsible way. Because like you—I'm not saying I'll never eat another cashew, I'm just saying—I'll never eat five or six hundred calories worth at one sitting, ever again.

πŸ˜‰

You're incredible.

My best always,
    Sean

Keri
    June 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Well, I have to say, you're stronger than I would have been. Congrats on winning this small battle. Kenz – 1, Cashews – 0

β™₯ Kenz β™₯
    June 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone…the cashews are still on the counter, but I've stayed the course. πŸ˜‰