A Little Lighter

Yesterday was weigh-in day, and I’m happy to report that I lost one pound. I’ll update the total on my weight-loss log later today, but this loss brings me to 107 pounds. I’m flying out next Thursday which means I’ll miss a few weeks of weigh-ins, but I have a plan. I’ll weigh myself where Sean usually weighs in, and that scale will be my unofficial guide while I’m away.

I travel pretty often, and I usually come back lighter than I was when I left. But I’ll be away for almost three weeks, and it is important to stay on track. In order to do that I will have to create a strategy because there are so many places I want to eat while I’m back in Oklahoma!

Seriously folks…New York offers the best Italian food, incredible Thai food, etc. But Oklahoma has the best BBQ! And the burgers…oh my..Johnny’s serves the best burgers and onion rings I’ve ever eaten. Charlie’s Chicken is also out of this world. Their chicken chunks and mashed potatoes are almost as good as my mom’s. There’s also Chick-fil-a. What can I say? Yummy! And I cannot forget Marble Slab Creamery. I wouldn’t call myself an ice cream fanatic (though maybe I should in light of my new obsession with the 150 calorie cone.) But when I walk into ‘the slab’, uh, there’s an ice cream named after me. I think I’ll just leave it at that. πŸ˜‰

How will I enjoy these rich, delicious foods I love while continuing to move forward in my weight loss efforts? I’ll think about what I eat before I eat it. I’ll track my food intake just as I would if I were here in New York. I’ll enjoy a bacon cheeseburger, but I’ll eat half instead of a whole one. I’ll eat vegetables and lean protein throughout the day so I can feel satisfied before sitting down to eat ribs. And when I do enjoy the ribs I’ll eat one, maybe two…and remind myself that the next one would taste the same. I’ll have a baked potato and corn on the cob on the side…I’ll eat a salad first, and I’ll drink a couple glasses of water before I go near my dinner plate.

If you’ve read my blog for long then you know that I value working out on vacation as much as I do when I’m at home. I am a firm believer in myself and the healthy habits I’ve formed since I began this journey to a healthier self. And I’ve talked about eating “portion controlled garbage” more than a couple of times. I’ll eat healthy foods the majority of the time, spacing out the heavier meals that I want to eat while I’m away. I’ll increase my exercise on those days. And when I do eat those meals, I’ll eat one serving rather than clearing my plate. I’ll supplement with vegetables and while grains, and I’m confident I’ll come back to New York weighing less than I did when I left.

Now that I’ve drawn out my weight-loss strategy, I should probably work on a plan for packing. May I just say that packing for a three week trip is daunting?! If only it were as easy as planning my food intake and exercise. Oh well, I guess I can’t have everything. πŸ˜‰ I better get to work..

One last thing…I drank 11 glasses of water yesterday. It was a light day for H2O, and I definitely felt the difference in my level of satisfaction. I felt hungry more yesterday than I have on any other day of this challenge. I’ll drink more today…definitely!

Who has exciting plans for the weekend?!

Vaia
    July 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So cool lady! You have set out your battle plan and that is truly half the battle. The other half of the battle is packing – hands down! The best part of your time away is that you will be with people who love you and want to help you succeed – your goals will all be met!! Have tons of fun!

Amy @ life's journey with a smile
    July 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm

It was my Grandma's 75th birthday yesterday and tomorrow my two Aunts and Mom are coming to the city I live to celebrate. It will involve a lot of shopping (so walking all day), followed by a buffet dinner and a comedy club.

I'm a little nervous because I usually fail miserably on weekends. I am glad there will be a lot of walking, and tonight I play a sport, so I'll have a heavy workout.

Wish me luck, and I pray that I can be good at the buffet! I'm almost at my first 10 pounds weight loss!

Funnyrunner
    July 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm

You never cease to amaze me, Kenz. I think you're absolutely, positively, completely amazing. Have a wonderful trip to Oklahoma. I know I say this every time I comment, and I'm not in the blogosphere all the time, but I am SO proud of you!

Genie @ Diet of 51
    July 23, 2010 at 2:23 pm

No exciting plans, but that's usually when something unexpected happens. Hopefully for the good.

Enjoy your weekend and the anticipation of the trip!

Toby
    July 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm

You will do great on your trip to Oklahoma. One place Sean had to take you is to Hideaway Pizza in Stillwater. They the BEST pizza and fried mushrooms in my book. πŸ™‚ Have fun packing and I can only imagine how hard thats going to be. I stress over what to pack for a weekend trip I could not imagine packing for a 3 week trip. Have a great weekend!

Jo
    July 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Have a great vacation, Kenz. Sounds as if you have a good, solid plan.

Annie
    July 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Sounds like you have a great plan for your time in OK!

This weekend will start with a girl's night out baseball game with a friend of mine. The game will be followed with a concert and fireworks…I can't wait and hope it doesn't get rained out! The remainder of the weekend will be cleaning the house and doing laundry as the following weekend we'll be heading out for our family vacation! Lots to look forward to. πŸ™‚

Dr. Fat To Fit
    July 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I'm from Oklahoma! And, I love Johnny's. Enjoy your trip and congrats on coming up with a solid plan for your trip!

Debbie
    July 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Have a wonderful trip. I have been to Oklahoma and the BBQ is wonderful.

Tammy
    July 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Have fun with the packing….sounds almost as bad as me packing my house up for the move nxt wknd! lol And good job on the loss this week! πŸ™‚

Christine
    July 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I have a bachelorette party to attend in…NYC!!! Yikes!!! It's going to be a blast!

Have a great time on your vacation!

Elizabeth.
    July 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Yay! Grats on the loss. Have an incredible time on your trip! By sharing your plan with us, I know you knew you were doing it for you, but also? You laid it out for US! Those are good battleplan words for me EVERY day – especially since my adventure is just beginning. Thanks for the reminders – and could you please hug Sean for us? You're awesome … e.

β™₯ Shrinking Kenz β™₯
    July 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Toby, I know all about Hideaway, and I'm sure we'll go there..yes. It happens to be right across from Marble Slab in Stw. Ha..I've spent many evenings there enjoying pizza. I'm curious to see how I'll feel about it after growing accustomed to NY pizza.

β™₯ Shrinking Kenz β™₯
    July 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm

And E, I'll happily hug Sean for you. Keep up the wonderful work you're doing for yourself!

SeattleRunnerGirl
    July 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

You've got a great plan, Kenz! My plans for the weekend are as follows:

ferry ride to the island where I grew up
    being spoiled by my parents
    biking
    running
    eating my body weight in fresh crab

I can't wait!

creatingsarah
    July 23, 2010 at 7:09 pm

You are so awesome! I'm hoping to be as balanced as you this weekend while I'm gone for my boyfriend's dad's wedding. Reading this post definitely made me feel better about it!

Congrats on the loss! (:

And I hope you have a great time!β™₯

Deb Willbefree
    July 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Kenz, You have an excellent system. I know that you've stated all of those techniques before, but seeing them all in a row hits home for me.

Well, that, and I'm aware (from recent experience) that I need a plan for out of the ordinary eating events. sigh.

I'm going to reread your list a few times. Thanks.

Deb

Lisa
    July 23, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I love Marble Slab!!! Chick-fil-a….my son's girlfriend works there and over Christmas they had a special peppermint shake that she would give us for free. It was delicious…and I'm sure calorie laden…

Enjoy your time away. I can't imagine packing for 3 weeks….I'm the most over prepared packer ever. Ridiculous. I didn't wear half of what I took on my cruise a week ago…

Congrats on the pound lost πŸ™‚

Rhonda
    July 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I love Chick-Fil-a! I cannot imagine packing for 3 weeks. I so excited you get to stay that long. I still would love to come see you, but with a new job now, I'm not sure if that will happen. I saw where Sean would be speaking some night about his weight loss, and you would be there. I would love to come to that…to be inspired.

April
    July 24, 2010 at 2:51 am

Great Plan!!!!!! I am going to try some of your strategies for an upcoming vacation:)

zedramaqueen
    July 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I'm a new reader, and I want to say congratulations on your accomplishments! Just a thought…they have these cool things called washers and dryers…! Don't over pack – doing laundry with Sean could be fun! πŸ™‚

Cathy

TxMarianne
    July 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Great plan! I hope you have a wonderful time. I remember eating at Johnny's almost every Sunday after church when I lived there!

Sean Anderson
    July 25, 2010 at 8:21 am

You're rocking this thing baby! And yes—I'm looking forward to your trip in a most wonderful way! πŸ˜‰
    I have a washer and dryer…just saying…
    Hideaway–is a must. A Marble Slab kiddie kup of Kenz would be perfect. As a huge addict, I mean fan of ice cream, Have I told you how much it impresses me that they have a flavor combo named after you? I love that!
    You're better than the best…

Can't wait to experience all we will!

Always,
    Sean

Anonymous
    July 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Congrats on the loss and have a wonderful time on holiday.
    Just also checking in for the PEWC – I forgot last week
    Going great guns and am sending a photo soon as well
    Have a great day
    Lisa from NZ (Pinky)

Tammy
    July 26, 2010 at 12:12 am

If that BBQ in OK is not pork (I've heard that some people think beef can be BBQ!!!), then it is NOT the best in the world! You must come to Memphis to experience real pork BBQ, preferably in May during The World Championship BBQ Cookoff!!!

Have a wonderful trip! Congrats on the 1-lb. loss. I'm just back from vacation in the Smokies of East TN — Dollywood and Splash Country water park! Unfortunately, we ate a lot of junk! I tried to make up for it by eating better outside the park. We had breakfast at Cracker Barrel, and I had egg beaters, turkey sausage, and skim milk!

jenbythesea
    July 26, 2010 at 3:25 am

Hey Kenz,
    I loved reading your latest blog. My weekend consisted mostly of finding out how desperately out of shape I'm in. I began cleaning up my yard and planting flowers. Am I ever sore tonight!
    I hope you have fun on your vacation. I know that with your determination and success so far, you'll do fine. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers while you're gone.

Shelli Belly