Clothing Confidence

I’ve had a lot of philosophical stuff going on inside my mind tonight, and I’ll probably talk about that later. But I’m really excited about some cute clothing that I bought at Lane Bryant today. Yes, I went shopping..can you imagine? πŸ˜‰ Here’s what I bought…

A denim pencil skirt…Really? I cannot tell you how excited I was when I tried it on. When I saw it on the rack I figured I’d give it a shot, but I was not expecting to like the way it looked on me. I mean, it’s a pencil skirt. The fact that I could fit into it and feel confident that I looked nice in it is just eveidence that I’ve come a long way.

I also bought this belted safari jacket because who doesn’t need a safari jacket in their closet? πŸ˜‰ Doesn’t it say “hey, I’m ready to go on a lovely picnic at sunset?” Yeah…I think it does.

I also bought this knit sundress because I can’t have too many sun dresses…seriously. My favorite summer item is the sun dress because it’s the easiest, most comfortable way to achieve a flirty, put-together look. I love to feel girly and cute so it works. πŸ˜‰

I considered buying Spanx today too, but I’ve always been worried that they would be a waste of money. I was too big for them last year, but now I could “comfortably” fit into them – and not even in the largest size. So should I try them? Does anyone want to admit to wearing them? And if so, do you recommend them? I also need cuter (and smaller) workout clothes before my trip later this month. Any suggestions?

It was fun to walk into Lane Bryant and walk out with items that I had to skip before. Shopping for clothes is no longer the chore that it used to be, and while my options have opened up tremendously in the last year, I know that these purchases are just the tip of the iceberg. πŸ˜‰ And I’m looking forward to the day in which I can shop for clothes everywhere. Oh dear…that’s going to be fun.

SherRon, Shoes To Lose
    July 1, 2010 at 4:12 am

Spanx is the best thing ever. Seriously. HAHA Great clothing finds! I love pencil skirts. So flattering!

~*Jamie*~
    July 1, 2010 at 4:18 am

I'll admit to wearing Spanx! I don't wear them everyday but when I need a little help "sucking it in" for an outfit that's a little more form fitting or shows my baggage a little more than I'd like, they really help me to shape up! The ones I have are pretty comfy and I am so happy to have bought them.
    Congrats on the great finds at LB! I, like you, cannot wait until it's not my "staple store" anymore.

Deb Willbefree
    July 1, 2010 at 4:45 am

πŸ˜€ So glad you found great stuff shopping! One of the best feelings ever–even for a non-shopper like me!

The new, CUTE, workout clothes? Hmmm. Anyone special going to be seeing you work out next month? chuckle.

So gald you're having fun!

Deb

Shell
    July 1, 2010 at 5:24 am

Yup – I'm a Spanx wearer. Not everyday but when I have a special occasion and am wearing something other than a t-shirt and shorts – they help smooth out the lumps and bumps and help suck everything in a bit. Most definitely worth the money.

Sib
    July 1, 2010 at 6:57 am

Good on you Kenz… you're doing GREAT!!

Tammy
    July 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

I wear Spanx just about every time I have on a skirt or dress because they keep my thighs from chafing when I walk. Sorry, if that's TMI, but this is my issue and they help with the problem. Plus, all the smoothing they do. It looks like you found some things you will love to wear. I have a denim pencil skirt, and I wear it a lot on the weekends (it isn't allowed at work). Enjoy the new outfits!

Amanda
    July 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I wear spanx all the damn time! Here's a hint though – get them from ebay — you can generally get them for half price! They make clothes lie so much better πŸ™‚

Sean Anderson
    July 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Clothes shopping is so much fun!! Wasn't always of course, dreaded it in fact. Oh Kenz—it just becomes better and better—You're in for a bunch fun…Shopping and on your upcoming trip!
    I think you'll be cute in whatever you wear for workouts!

Tammy
    July 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Oh, BTW the lady who invented Spanx has a line for Target called Assets. That's what I usually buy.

Deb
    July 1, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Those look like some nice buys. πŸ™‚ I bet they look great on you.

rskmom
    July 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I have SO been eyeing the jacket!

lootz
    July 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I am a great lover of Spanx. I don't wear them everyday…but I totally wear them when I have a special outfit on or need a little "extra help!"

V
    July 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I wear Assets (same girl who made Spanx, but they sell them at Target) whenever I wear dresses/skirts. I just feel better when wearing them – no lumps, bumps, and the clothes look better on me. I love that jacket!

Keri
    July 1, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Cute cute and cute. I have tried spanx and honestly, when I put them on I was able to get into a smaller size jean… so I say go for it!! The only other thing is, in the summer its hot wearing those layers so it may be a winter item for ya. I wish you many years of shopping for super cute new clothes. Yay Kenz!!!

ChristineKingery
    July 1, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I had a similar experience shopping for that elusive pencil skirt: http://www.phoenixrevolution.net/archives/256

I am sure that all of your clothes look fantastic on you! You definitely pull off "girlie and cute" SO WELL!!!

Bombshell Beauty
    July 1, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Very cute new clothes, Kenz! I've been eyeballing that pencil skirt, too. I'm so happy for you!

As for Spanx…I do own a couple pairs. But I only wear them when absolutely necessary: under really flimsy fabric or for something special.

Amanda
    July 2, 2010 at 12:50 am

Spanx are awesome as a foundation garment. I've got the dreaded "saddle bags" on my thighs no matter what I weigh — definitely now, and seriously, when I was 16 I had pneumonia and dropped to 108.5 at 5'7" tall, and those things were *still* there! — and there's nothing like Spanx to smooth things out a bit. They're really quite helpful. They aren't cooling, though, and you can get to feeling a bit constricted in them, at least I do… but I'd say give 'em a try πŸ™‚

Congrats on the shopping — that can certainly be fun!

annie
    July 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Yes! Go for the Spanx! I also have some lighter shapewear that I got a Loehmanns that I think works better on hot days, but I wouldn't dream of wearing a knit jersey dress without them. A few years ago I wore spanx AND control top tights under a dress to go out to dinner. That combo was so tight I could barely eat! I don't recommend layering πŸ™‚

Beth @ fatbustermack
    July 3, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Oh what cute stuff! I LOVE spanx, but only the kind that goes ALL the way to the bra. that way my tummy is tamed, the ones that are just shorts give me a little pudge around the middle. but spanx make dresses and skirts sooo much more comfortable (leg chaffing be gone!)