Healthy Habits Lifestyle Travel

It’s That Time Again

I’ve written about the anxiety that I feel when boarding an airplane several times, but it’s weighing on my mind again right now because I’m flying out later today.

In August of last year I wrote “Sitting next to someone on an airplane when you’re obese (err, at least when you’re obese and your name is Kenz) creates the kind of dread that I cannot begin to express. And unless you’re fat (or have ever been fat) you just cannot possibly understand.” I had lost 37 pounds at the time, and flying was still dreadful. I’ve come so far since then…You can read the rest of that post here if you want to.

Then I wrote about flying as an overweight person again only a couple of months ago. The experience is so different already. I even wrote about the positive changes I noticed on my last flight last month! You can read about those here. The most powerful of those changes was knowing that I could jog to catch a flight then comfortably sit in the middle seat on the front row. I also learned that I no longer needed a seat belt extension. Awesome, right? 🙂

But today I’m flying on a smaller plane. Thankfully, I’ll be seated on the left side of the plane so no one will be sitting directly next to me. I’ll cram into the small seat if necessary, and I’ll worry less knowing that I won’t be crowding anyone else. Bring on the extension! I’ll use it on this smaller plane as I look forward to it becoming a memory.

If you’ve read my blog, you know that I fly pretty often, and I cannot wait for the day in which I can look forward to flying without a hint of worry. Until then, I remind myself how far I’ve come and that I’m in control. I have the power to make positive changes with my choices, and that is what I try to do everyday.

Will today’s flight be awful? I hope not! 😉 Will I get through it regardless? Yes. And will the next flight be better? I’m confident that it will be, yes…and that, my friends, is most important to me. I cannot change the past, but I can certainly change the future. And it’s no longer just a hope, it’s my reality. I’m doing it, and it feels fantastic.

Wish me luck on my flight today! I’m extraordinarily excited to reach my destination. I’ll let you know how it goes…Until then, keep drinking water and enjoy this day!

Bottoms up Friends!

Sneaker Teacher
    July 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

Good Luck! Hopefully it's not at all as bad as you are thinking it will be.

-KT

MizFit
    July 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

xo xo

Shane G.
    July 29, 2010 at 11:03 am

Great post Kenz! I have this strange body design. I am really fat,but it is all out front and my body is narrow. I have never had to deal with the crowding someone, but the seat belt extension, yup. Those days are coming to an end!!

Jodi
    July 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

You ARE doing it!!! You should be so proud of yourself. I spent many years not flying because of the same reasons. I cannot wait to get on an airplane next year. (Since I started a new job, I have to wait to take vacation). Graceland here I come! LOL! Just knowing I won't have to worry about that stuff anymore is awesome. You are going to do great on this flight. I just know it.

Have a safe trip and an AWESOME time seeing Sean, your Dad and your family!

JoAnn
    July 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Kenz, just think, every time you fly you are smaller than the last time! I bet you won't need that extension today either. Have a great day and get to the airport earlier this time!

Also I think it's funny how your Kenzisms are seeping into Sean's writing and his Seanisms are seeping into yours, my friend.

Lisa
    July 29, 2010 at 12:33 pm

You have come so far and one day soon any seat belt extension will be a distant memory.

I hope you have a wonderful flight and an even better time at your destination 🙂

Vaia
    July 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Kenz – I hope you have a fantastic time away! It couldn't come at a better time and who the heck doesn't like getting away 🙂

Elizabeth.
    July 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hi, Kenz! Hopefully you have your ipod or zen or whatever you listen to :)with you…just sit back, close your eyes, enjoy your private seat, the smooth flight and the bevy of hugs awaiting you when you land. 🙂

You're an inspiration,
    E.

Christine
    July 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Have a safe and wonderful flight!

Deb
    July 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I bet this flight won't be as rough as you're expecting, and soon all the worry will be gone.

You are doing amazing.

Jill
    July 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Things have only been getting better for you! Keep it up! I hope you have a lovely flight!

creatingsarah
    July 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I love that you can focus on the positives! I haven't been following you long, but I've loved reading your blog… so, I'm giving you an award. Come by my blog and get it! (:

Summer
    July 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Oh, I so understand. Hope your flight is great!

Anonymous
    July 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Just keep thinking about what is waiting for you when you get off of the plane…..Have a great time!!! Looking forward to pics!!!

SeattleRunnerGirl
    July 29, 2010 at 8:44 pm

You said it, friend. Every flight you take, from the first day of this journey you're on until you reach goal, will be better than the last. You can't control everything – but you CAN control the choices you make to keep putting one foot in front of the other and, over time, achieve your goal of reaching a healthy weight. I know you can and will do it! In the meantime, enjoy your flight today – I hope it goes smoothly!

Sib
    July 29, 2010 at 9:44 pm

The *flight anxiety* is shrinking along with you Kenz. How wonderful is that! Enjoy (*_*)

Sherry
    July 29, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Best of luck Kenz! I can't wait for the day I can fly again! I'd probably have to pay for 2 seats now –

Sherry

Genie @ Diet of 51
    July 30, 2010 at 1:31 am

Bon voyage! Soon, that seat belt extension and your anxiety will be so yesterday! Enjoy your trip!

Heather A
    July 30, 2010 at 1:56 am

I flew out to California in April and I didn't even know they had seat belt extensions. I actually just draped it over my waist and then flung a sweatshirt on my lap so it looked like it was buckled. I was so embarrassed! On the flight home I was able to get it buckled but it wasn't easy. I am only 13 days in to my long journey but I am truly inspired by this blog. Thanks Kenz for sharing!

Lisa
    July 30, 2010 at 7:47 am

Let us know how it goes! you are doing such a great job!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com
    July 31, 2010 at 5:46 am

I hope your flight went well. I was thinking of you Wednesday and I am sure your exam went great. Have a wonderful time in Oklahoma!!!

It was so fun hanging out the other day 🙂

XOXO
    Jen

septembergrrrl
    July 31, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hope you had a great flight. Love your positivty Kenz, and you are right. You are in control of the shape of your future, and you *should* be excited!!

Wishing you a fantastic trip! xx

Overweight in SoCal
    August 1, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Hi Kenz I left you an award on my blog. Please check it out. Thank you for inspiring me as I share about my journey to a healthy me 🙂