Healthy Eating Healthy Habits Junk Food Whole Foods

Let’s Talk About Snacks

What can I say? I like snacks. I enjoy chips and candy as much as everyone else, but I have some big goals so I try to make good choices. Losing weight is not about dieting, at least for me. It’s about eating reasonable portions and making healthy choices most of the time. But does that mean I won’t eat cake? Of course not. I like cake just as I like the other snack foods I’ve mentioned. And over the last year I’ve learned that I can enjoy portion-controlled junk food from time to time and still be successful in my weight loss.

Here’s how snacking on junk food is different now: I still eat chips sometimes, but I eat one ounce of chips instead of mindlessly eating chips from the bag until its gone which always left me feeling bloated and lethargic. And I know that chips don’t keep me as satisfied as snacks that are high in protein or fiber so I usually eat carrots or celery or a cucumber with the chips because I stay fuller longer.

(My favorite snack right now is an ounce Multigrain Tostitos with fresh salsa and s side of carrots.)

I’ve also learned that sometimes I prefer vegetables. Yes, I said it. Sometimes I crave vegetables. It’s amazing how delicious veggies can be when they’re seasoned well. Earlier this week I attempted to make corn salsa for a dish I would cook for dinner, but I soon realized that this stuff is addictive! It’s a great point value (1 WW point per serving,) and it’s easy to serve because you can eat it hot or cold. It’s great with chicken or fish, but it’s also good as a go-to healthy snack.

Most importantly, I’ve learned that I don’t have to deprive myself of everything I love in order to lose weight. That being said, I have learned that it’s okay to say no to myself sometimes too. I don’t believe in the theory that we should always eat what we want when we want it because if we don’t we’ll binge on everything else. I see that point in that theory, but I’ve had to learn about self-control too. Believe me, I’m still learning. Often times when I’m craving something I turn my thoughts to something else, and before I know it then craving has passed. Again, this isn’t always true, but more often than not it is.

How do you curb your cravings? I received so many awesome breakfast ideas a few days ago so now I want to know about your snacks. Do you have a favorite healthy go-to snack? Or a few? I’d love to know what you’re eating between meals because changes keep it interesting.

In other news, Day 3 of the PEWC is complete, and I’m happy to say that I consumed over 16 glasses of water again Wednesday. I’m keeping track on the side bar because I want to know how I feel after this increase. I can already tell you that I feel much more satisfied throughout the day. And I’m looking forward to seeing other benefits over the next few weeks.

(I’m not feeling so well so I’m looking a little rough, but I’m determined to rock the water anyway! Have I mentioned how much I love my Nalgene bottles? Thank you sister! )

How’s your water intake? Are you drinking 8 glasses a day? If you’re part of the challenge and would like to be featured on Sean’s blog or mine, just take a picture of yourself drinking water and e-mail it to seanboy105@hotmail.com or kenz@alltheweigh.com. You can also send us a line or two about how the challenge is working for you. We’d love to hear from you! Until then…

Bottoms up my friends! =)

Sib
    July 15, 2010 at 6:34 am

Great post Kenz… exactly what I needed to hear right NOW. I'm thinking I still have a very long way to go with the self-control, but I know I'll get there. By the way, is it too late to enter the water challenge? I love challenges!

smentha
    July 15, 2010 at 7:30 am

A real-life story on how weight loss helps to fit into your favorite sexy bikini can be accessed right at our weight loss blog.

Tammy
    July 15, 2010 at 11:19 am

I try to keep some 1- or 2-point snacks in my desk at work for snacks. Right now, there are some packs of 100-calorie popcorn, some granola thins, and some 100-calorie packs of cocoa roast almonds. Sometimes I even keep the Campbell's Soup at Hand in the chicken noodle because it is filling and just one point. The other day I had let the snacks run out, and I was hungry. I went upstairs to the vending machines (which I rarely do!), and searched for something to tide me over. I ended up with a package of salted peanuts because they had some (not a lot, maybe) nutritional value. I took the pack to my desk, calculated the points, and decided that I could eat half a pack. I put the other half in the drawer. That is a huge step for me because nuts are something that are hard for me to eat in reasonable amounts!

Mae Flowers
    July 15, 2010 at 11:47 am

I agree with your idea that no food should be off limits- just in moderation! That's the one thing that has kept me going on this journey.

For snacks, I like to eat fruit, fruit smoothies, and healthy pop popcorn to name a few.

Tammy
    July 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

FRUIT!!! This week I've had rainier cherries, watermelon, green seedless grapes, peaches, and plums!!! I also keep Kashi blackberry graham bars in my desk..110 cals each. And I keep low salt Wheat Thins at my desk when I want crunchy crackers w/o all the salt….I think 1 serving is 16 crackers and it's 130 cals. Love me some carrot sticks and cucumber slices, too! 🙂

Deb
    July 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm

For myself there are a few foods that I have made off limits. They are foods that are trigger foods for me and I know I'm just better off not having them.

The water is working for me! I used to be great about drinking water and don't know why I stopped getting as much. I'm craving it again and it's super refreshing. Thanks for the challenge!

Jessica
    July 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I love Cilantro salsa and bell peppers! So GOOD!

Vaia
    July 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Umm, Kenz…tostitos and salsa is my FAVOURITE snack food ever!!

Would you please share your recipe for the corn salsa? I've read about it in many blogs and it looks tasty!!

life with a smile
    July 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I hear on the snacks, my meals are not to blame for all the extra weight I'm carrying around – it's definitely my snacking AT NIGHT.

Ever since I started weight watchers, I've been trying to remain conscious of my snacking at night but here are things I've been eating at night:

Pickles – I could eat a whole jar but I don't allow myself to – 0 points wohoo!

Popcorn with Kernels seasoning, the crunch and taste of chips without all the calories, half a bag of microwave popcorn (the right kind) and Kernels seasonings (available in tons of flavours) is like 2 points!

I am huge fan of veggies and dip too, I've found some dip that is only 1-2 points depending on how much I want to snack, with carrots, cucumbers and celery, it's delicious!

And having a good water is the only thing that makes me successful! I noticed you have a straw which is SOOOO KEY for me, I have a Camelbak water bottle and they have straws in them, I can guzzle back the water super fast!

Christine
    July 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm

My favorite snacks (protein-ladden) include:

* Small can of tunafish (70 cals) mixed with dijon mustard instead of mayo

* Almonds, of course, a small handful (90 calories)

* 1 slice cheese with maybe 2 crackers (60 calories)

* Perhaps 2 oz of hummus with just a tiny bit of feta cheese in there. With crackers or tortilla chips (100 cals)

* Sugar-free Rice pudding cups (70 cals)

* A glass of skim milk over ice (120 cals)

* Cucumber slices with ranch dressing (40 calories)

jennykate77
    July 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I like the same things as you. Eating a portion of chips with salsa and a veggie is and ideal snack for me. I also like to take pieces of celery and put reduced-fat cream cheese on them and wrap them in a lean piece of turkey or ham….SO good! Sometimes I substitute the cc for Laughing Cow. Those Tostito multigrains are delicious! I also like to grab a few nuts or a low-fat string cheese, if I'm in a hurry.

I've been consciously trying to drink more water this week, thanks to your challenge! I am definitely feeling fuller and more satisfied during the day!

Jo
    July 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Snacks for me are almonds, the occasional protein bar (1/2 only), and I like Larabar because they have only a few ingredients, and chunky peanut butter has become my new favorite snack. I eat about a tablespoon with 2 crackers and that tides me over until dinner. Baby carrots or grape tomatoes with a little lite Ranch is good, too.

Day 4 of the PEWC and I have already gulped down 12 oz. It's still early here,though.

life with a smile
    July 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Oh and I forgot one of the best things! Icecream cones… or WW friendly ones
    I buy Chapmans Frozen Yogurt (lots of flavours available) most are 2 points for 1/2 cup, and a ice cream cone, if you buy the old school ones (my favourite) most are 0 points! Since it's summer, I am so happy to have this snack!

spunkysuzi
    July 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm

This time of year i'm loving the fruits and veggies that are in season. Right now i have figs, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, figs, peaches, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, corn on the cob!! Lots of snacks to choose from, never mind the iced teas and coffees i make 🙂
    Oh and yes i've been drinking my 8 cups a day or rather i've been drinking 9 cups a day.

aperfectversionofmyself
    July 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm

My fave snack right now is Laughing Cow cheese spread inside celery. It's delicious and crunchy and creamy.

And to think I used to HATE celery!