Worth It

My workouts have not been a struggle this week. I’ve gotten them done relatively painlessly. There’s just something about getting new (heavier) weights that excites me, and I couldn’t wait to use them. Yesterday, however, was a different story.

Wednesday was one of those days in which I worked out in the pool in the afternoon hoping I could convince myself I had done enough knowing I had not. My heart was definitely pumping in the pool, but I needed to do more cardio and weight training so I did – after midnight.

A few days ago I was feeling impatient about my weight-loss progress, but the rewards of my diligence was enhanced yesterday when I bought new clothes. I bought a new pair of jeans, and while I enjoy shopping in general, I enjoyed this trip because I had to buy jeans in a smaller size. I shopped at Lane Bryant (where sizes and cuts tend to run much smaller than other plus-size stores like Avenue.) And I know I’ve talked about going in to buy smaller sizes there before, but it just doesn’t get old. And knowing that I can wear jeans that are no longer the largest size is a big deal! Just saying.

Before Lane Bryant I went to Avenue where I was able to buy an adorable dusty purple button-up shirt that will look great belted or left open over a tank. Yes..sometimes I wear over shirts. 😉 And I found a few other items while I was out that made me feel pretty so shopping was a success. 😉

Days like yesterday are filled with undeniable proof that I’m headed in the right direction. I go through ups and downs, but the fact remains that I have the power to change myself from the inside out which is exactly what I’m doing.

Today is weigh-in day, and I’m always nervous. But I’m also confident about the direction in which I’m headed. And I’m looking forward to the day when my new jeans are too big too. 😉

In other news, I logged 14 glasses of water today though I think I may have had 16 glasses. It got hazy after 14 so I’ll call it. Either way, I’m feeling good about it.

One last thing…I’ve decided that I definitely want to try Spanx, and now that I know that many of you wear them I want your input. There are so many options! What should be my first piece? I’d love to try this full body one, but for $88 I need to know it’s spectacular. Has anyone tried it?

Sean Anderson
    July 22, 2010 at 9:47 am

Enjoy those new clothes while they fit baby, because soon you'll have to buy more—even smaller. You've made significant changes mentally, and now—losing weight and transforming becomes a side effect of your amazing choices.
    I would never discourage you from something you desire, but I would ask if you've evaluated the reasons why you would want to wear something like Spanx. The transformation road you're on will give you more confidence than any form fitting undergarment. You're beautiful, and you were then, now, and you will be later—No form fitting, possibly hot and uncomfortable undergarment needed. But again—it's up to you baby.
    I guess the issue of form fitting undergarments is something close to me, because at one time, I watched as both of my daughters put a large portion of their self-image confidence into girdles—and the day Courtney ripped hers apart and burned it on the patio was one of my proudest days along this road. She realized that she didn't need it to feel confident any longer, because she was in control—and the confidence she was gaining with her weight loss success was far greater than the girdle ever provided, or possibly could give her.

You're beautiful.

Always,
    Sean

Erica Marie
    July 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Congrats and the smaller size! I just started my journey & blogs like yours help motivate me! I saw your progress photos and WOW! What an amazing change. I lust for the day that i can be an inspiration to others as much as you have. As for the shopping, I can't wait to feel that kind of satisfaction when you can get into a smaller size! What a big hurdle to jump! 🙂

xoxo
    Erica

Erica Marie
    July 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Btw; I meant ON* the smaller size. I guess it's too early for me to be commenting! LOL

Genie @ Diet of 51
    July 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I haven't had a Spanx occasion, but my best friend wore the whole body thing to her high school class reunion. She looked smokin'. Heard it was really difficult to get into, but worth it. Just sayin'

Tammy
    July 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I haven't worn the full body one, but I have one that goes up to the bra. I've worn it a couple of times under clingy dresses that don't have a defined waist. It isn't too uncomfortable at all. Plus, it prevents having the waist of any undergarment from showing through to the dress. I guess I've just gotten used to wearing them (the bike shorts type), since I wear them just about every day.

Congrats on the successful shopping trip, especially the new, smaller sizes!

Here's to the scale also reflecting that!!!!

kristi
    July 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Good job!!! I went down a size too. Woo hoo!

Deb
    July 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Yippee! Congratulations on the smaller size. No advice on the spanx as I don't wear it myself. Is it for a specific outfit? If so, I'd bring the outfit along and try it on with it.

Rhonda
    July 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Good luck tonight! I'm thinking all the water we are drinking will help! I'm hoping anyway. ;O)

Deb Willbefree
    July 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm

You have to just love Sean, don't you?

As far as Spanx goes, I tried them a long time ago and didn't like the look. After I read one of your posts lately where you mentioned them, I pulled it out and tried it again.

Now, I weigh 50 pounds less than last time I had that bugger on–it was easier getting into, but it is now a size bigger than my measurements call for. I still don't like the shape it gives me.

I measured this just for you. chuckle. It added an inch to my waist and gave me a muffin top (this is at a size too large, mind you.) It did take a half inch from my hip measurement.

My hips hve never been the problem, it's my belly. So, what it did was moosh my belly up into my waist and caused midriff spillage. I don't tend to have a muffin top. (This is too funny–haha-midriff spillage.)

I'd definitely have to wear the high-waisted version. I don't think it would be worth it, really, unless I was wearing a dress with the kind of silky material that shows ripples–then I'd want it to smooth that out.

My advice? If you must buy one, take a tape measure with you and measure before and after.

If I have to go the girdle route, I wear a long line bra (gives me a waist) and then a high waisted girdle on the bottom. I suppose that a high waisted Spanx would be fine.

Unless your porportioned re: where you waist is, one piece things often don't work. They pull places they shouldn't–depending on where your body and the garment disagree.

Well, that probably wasn't very helpful, but I tried. sigh.

Deb

creatingsarah
    July 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hallelujah for successful shopping trips! Not having to get the biggest size offered is definitely a great feeling. I'm still baffled by it. haha
    Good luck with your weigh in! I'm sure you'll see a lower number. (:
    The only way I'd squeeze myself into some Spanx is if I had a veryyy special event to attend. But, I've always been one for comfort. Plus, Sean is right — you're beautiful! ♥

christine
    July 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I've never done spanx per se, but I've done other girdle-like things. They're helpful in smoothing out the lumps and bumps. But…be careful paying $80 for one because if you lose more weight you will shrink so much that it will no longer be effective! Consequently it'll be a waste of money! I had that problem a LOT along this weight-loss road.

Love the pic of you! You're beautiful!

Debbie
    July 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm

No advice on the spanx from me. I have never worn one. I do have some bike shorts though that feel like it. Glad you had a good shopping trip. You are doing great on your water drinking also.

Mae Flowers
    July 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Good luck at WI! I've never done the Spanx, so not advice for you on that one!

Lisa
    July 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I have very mixed feelings about spanx or any slimming (squeezing) agent.

I was going to buy something for my cruise that made me look thinner, since I didn't get to where I wanted to be in time. I tried it on in the dressing room. Yes…it worked but I was uncomfortable and had a mini womens lib moment. I decided to axe the idea….would a man ever wear that? No way. Anyhow…it's your decision and you have to decide what your reasons are.

Congrats on the new smaller sizes!! I love Lane Bryant. I was actually sad when I wasn't able to shop there anymore. I had no idea where to go…not a feeling I anticipated having.

Tammy
    July 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm

You'll just have to excuse Sean, lol…he was just REALLY, EXTREMELY proud of Courtney when she burned his girdle…he did a whole post about it…not sure if you read it, but I remember all about it…it was a very emotional thing when she bought it…and even more emotional when she burned it…so his comment comes from a place of love and caring…just know that.

I've never worn Spanx per se….I've worn a girdle from Walmart only when I'm going for a walk/job because if I don't my stomach is so huge and so low-hanging, that it makes these slapping and clapping noises…so I have to wear the girdle to hold it down, lol. I wore it ONE day to work under a fitting skirt to hide the outline of my pregnant-looking stomach…NEVER AGAIN. I had the worst muffin top you've ever seen in your life and absolutely could not catch my breath for 10 straight hours. Not worth it to me…so only for when I'm jogging. 🙂

Tammy
    July 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm

lmao…when she burned HER girdle…not his 😉 Oh he's gonna' love me for that one, lmao

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    July 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm

LOL Tammy…I know that everything Sean says comes from a loving and caring place..totally. And I do know about Courtney's liberating experience from the girdle which was incredible to say the least. 🙂

Shelley
    July 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I think ramping up your shape-up efforts will be a lot more satisfying than buying a garment that may or may not make you achieve the look you want for a short period of time ( because you will be too small for it soon and it will be wasted money!). Just sayin.'

SeattleRunnerGirl
    July 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Congratulations on fitting into a smaller size! I just went through that, too, and it's the BEST feeling ever! For me, it was almost more "concrete" than knowing I'd lost X number of pounds. As a bigger girl, I lost 20 pounds before I noticed a change in myself, and being in smaller clothes made it IMPOSSIBLE for me NOT to see my progress.

Your WI will be just fine, and you are doing super well, Kenz. Keep up all the great work!

Jamie
    July 22, 2010 at 8:02 pm

For special occasions Spanx is a great investment if you actually receive positive results from one. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend wearing one for a long period of time, unless you like that sausage in a casing kind of feel. It just isn't comfy. Depending on your problem area you are wanting to smooth, or hide better, you might invest in a slimming tank/shirt (such as a yummie tummie) that is much more comfortable.

Diz
    July 23, 2010 at 1:46 am

I used to wear spanx a few years ago but forgot about them. Then, this last time I was in Vegas, I ran to the mall to get one and spent $40. I took it back to my hotel, opened it up- put it on- and then did an evaluation in the mirror, before and after. It did absolutely nothing for me. It was a waste of my $40 and I wouldn't recommend them. For one thing, you have an extra layer of clothing on- so you're constantly worrying about clothes sticking, breathing, how hot it is, etc etc. For another, I don't think they make that much of a difference. They may help a little, but who's really going to notice? The difference is not enough to waste your time with it, in my opinion. But maybe it will be better for you!!! Good luck love! Miss you- xoxo

Sharlie
    July 23, 2010 at 2:31 am

Just wanted to drop in and let you know that I left you an award on my page…the Versatile blogger award. Go by and pick it up when you have a min.
    Sharlie

July 23, 2010 at 3:27 am

I've never wore Spanx. I can't imagine it's very comfy. I just wanted to know that I went through your photos and could not believe the first picture was even you. You are absolutely beautiful. What a gorgeous smile. Keep up the good work! I wish somewhere, somehow I could find the motivation to keep it up. I'm struggling again!!! :((

Annie
    July 23, 2010 at 4:00 am

I have worn spanx in the past and I hate them! I wear just the bottoms now when I'm working out to keep things from moving uncomfortably, IYKWIM. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on one now because it won't be long before it would be too big! I hope you had a great meeting tonight!

I hope

Traveliztera
    July 23, 2010 at 5:26 am

Heyyyyyyy! Congratulations on your weightloss!!!
    I know the feeling of being able to buy a smaller size of jeans or somethin and it keeps me motivated even though there are times wherein my weight just wouldn't budge… Nonetheless, it's the measurements that matter more and it keeps me goin… Congrattttttts!!! 😀

Violet Rose
    July 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I agree with most about the Spanx (and kudos to Sean for his loving reply to the beautiful lady in his life). I spent a couple of years squeezing myself daily into these contraptions. I was never truly comfortable and I was constantly rearranging them so I could breathe or go to the bathroom. It was crazy, not to mention that I needed an extra 10 minutes to dress or undress. I recently "freed" myself from that prison and am still trying to deal with the body image issues I have, but at least I feel FREE! MAYBE wearing it once in a while for a special occasion/dress, is ok, but otherwise, skip it and the expense!