Exercise Family Friends Healthy Habits Travel Weigh-In

Far From Home?

I miss New York tonight. More specifically, I miss the people who have grown to mean so much to me there…Today would have been weigh-in day if I had been home. Instead, I’ll find a place to weigh-in sometime this weekend so I can gauge my progress throughout the coming week.

Have I mentioned how strange it is being disconnected from the world wide web so much lately? Dad lives in the country…way, way in the country. It’s beautiful, but it’s pretty far from my kind of civilization. 😉 Sorry Dad, just saying. And when I’m around Sean I have a hard time focusing on the internet. But I love my blog and miss my blog friends so I drove about 20 miles to use wi-fi at Panera Bread. I’m enjoying green tea while I listen to Bruce Springsteen, upload photos and comment on blogs.

Sean and I had a great workout last night, and I think he’d agree that we both really needed it. I rocked the elliptical machine while he tore it up on the treadmill. 🙂 After several days without exercise I was reminded of how much I love to sweat. I needed that reminder, and I am ready to get into a regular groove again soon now.

I’ve also had the opportunity to visit with friends who are like family, and that’s always one of the best parts of visiting my old home. I enjoyed dinner with Dad and friends Tuesday night. We ate at one of my favorite rib restaurants, and I ate a few ribs.

I had been seriously excited about it, but once I began eating I realized that I no longer think that ribs are worth the points. That’s a great thing to know. 😉 They were good, but they weren’t nearly as good as the company.

Tomorrow will be an exciting day because I’ll get to visit with some of my relatives from Texas. They’re coming up to spend the weekend in Oklahoma, and while I’m not sure what we’re doing yet, I know we’ll enjoy our time together. We always do.

The rest of my evening will be spent at Dad’s house. I plan to introduce him to my favorite show, White Collar. If you haven’t seen it, look for it Tuesday nights on USA. It is a fantastic program, and while I might be a little homesick for New York while watching it, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing last night’s episode.

Now it’s time to head back into the country. I’ll be back on the wire at some point tomorrow so look for me later. Until then, I hope everyone is doing well…

Goodnight from Oklahoma…

Elizabeth.
    August 6, 2010 at 3:13 am

Kenz! I miss you – and you're doing great! (as suspected by us all). I bet you do feel torn – by lovely things and people in New York and the lovely things and people in Oklahoma. But thank you for all the pictures of your trip – it's fun to see. And the part about being too distracted while at Sean's to be involved on the Internet? Kinda adorable…seriously. Anyways – hugs from here! Have a great day tomorrow with family…

e.

Shane G.
    August 6, 2010 at 10:07 am

Kenz I love the line "I realized I don't find ribs worth the points anymore". that is good stuff gal. I want to get to that point. no I will get to that point one day. I am definitely on that path, but I still would budget pizza in today if there was an occasion or a plan put in place a couple of days before it was ordered. So you go chick!!

Sean Anderson
    August 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

We're going to have more workouts like that! It's a fun date, right?
    The calorie value of ribs makes it very hard for me to ever order them again…I'm sure I'll have some again at some point, but wow—the point/calorie value makes me immediately think about all of the food I could enjoy instead for the same cost of a couple ribs.
    You have so many wonderful friends in NY–and these people will be your friends forever, you can find comfort in that.

Always,
    Sean

Tammy
    August 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

I just had the same thought about cereal for breakfast — kind of expensive in points for so little food. I can use the same number of points and have a much bigger breakfast. It's good to have these little "aha" moments!

Glad you are enjoying your trip!

JoAnn
    August 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

Kenz, can't you find a WW meeting out there in Boonieville? It might be worth it even if there's different scales and different people just to help keep your head in it.

Tammy
    August 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I haven't come to the realization yet that ribs aren't worth the calories, lmao. I am such a swine lover, lol, I think pork will always be my favorite meat. Direct coorelation to my body size, perhaps??? lol I hope you're enjoying your visit to your old home, but sorry you're feeling homesick for NY. Try to enjoy your vacation…your NY friends and family will be there waiting with open arms when you return. 🙂

Lisa @No More Diet Drama
    August 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Ribs are so calorie laden that's for sure. My husband has a big smoker and loves to smoke ribs. Sheesh! That can be a real pain.

I love the look of the country, but after a couple days start twitching…lol. I need the city too.

Sheila
    August 6, 2010 at 1:33 pm

You WERE AT RIB CRIB!!! I would recognize that food anywhere! (This coming from an okie!) Enjoy the rest of your stay in Oklahoma! 🙂

SeattleRunnerGirl
    August 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I am totally with you that ribs aren't really worth it! I'm kind of finding that out about a lot of my former favorite foods. And you know what? The former fat girl in me is almost a little sad about that…sad to let go of the foods that used to bring me so much pleasure and comfort. And then I remember that I'm not getting my pleasure and comfort from food anymore (or mostly not, anyways); but from my husband and family and friends and from just loving my life. Being strong and fit. (And all this with 40-60 more pounds to lose yet!) That trade-off is totally worth it!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there!

Jill
    August 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I love that feeling when you realize that you love and need exercise!!

Grace
    August 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm

We miss you too Kenz!!!! I hope you know how much of an inspiration you are to me and I am sure you are to your other followers!!! You have inspired me to take control of my life and to be the person I have always wanted to be!!! Thank you so much! I hope that you are thoroughly enjoying yourself in Oklahoma!!!

-Grace