Exercise Lifestyle Reflection

Getting Back To The Basics

I weighed in yesterday for the first time since being in Oklahoma. While I was at the gym I decided that it was important to have a fresh starting point because every scale is different, and I want to know exactly how much I’ll lose in the coming week. And the moment I stepped on the scale became a fresh start for me just as it has every week for over a year.

And with that fresh start comes attention to detail. At this point, I’m pretty good at calculating points in my head. And while the goal is to eventually look at food and know how much I should eat, I’m not yet at the point where I can safely estimate everything. Sean compares counting calories to using training wheels, and the same comparison can be made for me in counting points.

Tracking my food intake has been a huge part of my success so far, and I believe it will continue to take me where I need to go – down the successful road to weight-loss. But let’s be clear (mostly for myself.) If I’m outside of my environment for a week or a few weeks or several weeks it is just as important (if not more important) to maintain my food journal because guessing just isn’t good enough.

I am done playing the guessing game I’ve been playing with myself in the last week and a half. I will no longer allow myself to guess how much I consume. Weight-loss is serious business, and it’s time for me to refocus by getting back to the basics. I’m not saying that I’ve eaten horribly or fallen of the proverbial wagon. I have not. I have not lost control nor have I eaten exorbitant amounts of food without thought, but I haven’t been doing my best either. But I honestly cannot say how much I’ve eaten or overeaten because I’m just not sure. And that is unacceptable.

My body is capable of working out (which I’ve been doing…yay!) And my brain is capable of making excellent choices so that’s what I’m going to do starting now. Some things will always be out of our control, but other things – like the choices we make to better our bodies – are always our choice to make. I’m ready to start making the best choices again because I’m happiest with myself when I’m doing everything I can do to make my body healthier. And with that knowledge it becomes crystal clear that there’s no other way to live.

Kim
    August 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

You are so inspiring! I need to get busy here and I love coming to your blog for motiviation. Thanks for sharing your story!

CC
    August 7, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Hi Kenz,
    this is my first comment posted. I wanted to say a couple of things. First of all you have a beautiful voice. I listened to your Karaoke songs. Gorgeous. Truly beautiful. Not to mention I enjoyed the song choices.

Secondly, I've been reading Sean's blog now for a few weeks. From post 1. I'm all the way to January 2010.

His journey has been so inspiring and helpful in providing me guidelines for my weight loss journey.

I started working out again, after a 2 year absence (one in which I gained 50 lbs) and am really enjoying it. But struggle constantly with portions. I love to cook, and I love food. Good food. (not a junk food gal) So once I get portion control down, I'll do better.

I've lost 20 so far, 40 to go.

After Sean's blog, I'll start on yours. But I've been reading your comments and his comments about your visit…and you two are just ADORABLE. His post about touching your fingers and looking at you while in the cafe was just precious.

Keep up the good work, I'm all the way in Oregon and I'm keeping up with your words and your progress and I'm rooting for both of you on a daily basis! 😛 Have a super day!

Chris

Shane G.
    August 8, 2010 at 1:30 am

Kenz, I am trying to interpret your post. Is it you taking a beating you have coming? I can't imagine that you are too far off center if at all. If so, good for you for your self realization and owning your actions!! I love people who do that instead of making rationalizations! That is what I am trying to become, the guy who is a straight shooter with my eating sickness. You go Kenz!!!

seattlerunnergirl
    August 8, 2010 at 4:48 am

Good for you, Kenz. A lot of people (myself included, in the past) would have used being out of their normal routine as an excuse to let things slide a little. I think it's awesome and healthy and total PROOF that you've got this nailed that you aren't doing that. Keep up the great work!

I'm Annie
    August 8, 2010 at 7:01 am

Hooray for excellent choices! I'm trying to make them myself as well. You are definitely an inspiration. Keep it up! 🙂

-Annie

Leah-lew
    August 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm

You are a woman with such clarity. I hear everything you are saying on this blog!

Elizabeth.
    August 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm

YAY KENZ!!! 🙂 I love your can-do, will-do attitude. Thank you for sharing. You're an incredible person and I admire your drive. Thank you for being you. xoxox

e.

Genie @ Diet of 51
    August 8, 2010 at 8:05 pm

The guessing game doesn't work for me at all. Thanks for reminding all of us to keep it real.

Jodi
    August 9, 2010 at 1:48 am

I totally agree Kenz. I still to this day measure my cereal every morning. It is the way I am accountable to myself. I'm pretty good with 'guesstimates' though when I have to be. I think you are doing a great job! You should be so proud of yourself.

Hugs my friend
    Jodi

jennykate77
    August 9, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I'm glad I came here this morning and read this post. I was having a mental struggle this morning over eating right, but I feel inspired. So, thank you! Hope you're enjoying your time in OK!!! I wonder how close you are to me? How much longer will you be here?

Sib
    August 10, 2010 at 12:28 am

Yayyyy… GO KENZ!!

Mrs. Tasha
    August 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Would love to have you join for my Try It Tuesday post..please share with your blog readers as well. You can get the link for it and the button on my page on the right hand side! Thanks so helping me make this a success 🙂