Food weight loss Weight Watchers

Doing It Again

Almost a year ago, I wrote about the Weight Watchers Lose For Good campaign, and it’s time to talk about it again. When I wrote last year’s post, I had lost 47 pounds so I donated 47 pounds of food through the church where my weekly meeting is held.

Carrying 47 pounds of food was not easy. I remember asking my boyfriend to carry the bags to the car for me – his initial response being no because he wanted me to understand just how heavy the food was. I walked with it from the kitchen to the front door then he carried it to the car for me. It was heavy.

This is a picture of my 47 pound food donation from last year. This year, the amount of food I donate will more than double what is pictured here. If every person on a weight loss journey donated food in the amount they had lost (or even just a pound or two of food) we would begin to see a huge impact on hunger.

This year poses a bigger challenge because I’ve lost a total of 110 pounds to date. I’m confident that I could not carry that much at one time without risking serious injury, but I do plan to find a way to donate the food even if it requires several trips. And I think this goes without saying, but I’ll take a picture. 😉

It is scary to think that I carried so much extra weight on my frame everyday for years. I still carry over 100 pounds too much on my frame, but I’m working on changing that today just as I was a year ago. And it feels good to recognize how far I’ve come down this road, but it feels even better to confidently know where I’m going. In the post I wrote on September 10, 2009 I said,

…after placing these items in bags to be delivered tomorrow I have to say, this stuff is heavy! Now I’m not so surprised that I already walk faster without feeling winded! I was carrying so much extra weight. Just imagine how fast I’ll zip around when I lose the next 100 pounds! It’s was incredible to come to this realization today as I held this food in my arms.

I spend a lot of time talking about how far I have to go, but I really have come a long way already. And it feels great to know that as I lose weight through eating well and exercise that I’m gaining strength, balance and speed.”

I had no idea just how true those statements would become when I wrote them. I am so much stronger than I was at this time last year, my balance is astoundingly better and my endurance is unbelievable so I’ll say it again this year…I cannot imagine how fast I’ll ‘zip around’ by this time next year! I know there will be drastic differences because life is such a different experience already.

I knew that I couldn’t conquer world hunger last year, and I can’t fix everything this year either. But the Lose For Good campaign (which starts this week) has reminded me that I can do my small part by *being the change I wish to see in the world. And I’m pretty sure that, faults and all, I’m a better person today because I’m dedicated to changing my own life. And I can only do my best to help others when I decide to be the best version of myself.

Mom
    September 6, 2010 at 7:48 pm

This is so true, you did great last year and now 110 pounds later is much better.It will be exciting to see next year at this time how more weigh you would have dropped. Trials and all but the best thing is your thinking about weigh lost and that is good for you. Keep up the good work. I love you MOM

Shane G.
    September 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm

wow, I had never heard of this before. I think that is great Kenz! I was talking to Kathy the other day when we were at the track with a guy that had a back pack on jogging. She said I should get my back pack and load it up with weight every weigh day to see how much more weight I used to be carrying. I am thinking about doing now!

Destiny 150
    September 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm

This is such a great idea! I really like it. As for the weight you've lost, the next time you're at the grocery store, stop and look at the potatoes. Eleven ten pound bags of potatoes… What a superb accomplishment!

Just Me
    September 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Fabulous idea, Kenz. Giving and losing is so good for the heart. I love your blog. You are such a vibrant person. Real, honest and open. Keep it up. I cannot wait to join you at 110 lost. You are beautiful inside and out.

kristi
    September 6, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Wow, that is wonderful! I still have over 40 pounds to lose but I may change that once I lose more. But I would be happy weighing 180.

Annaleah
    September 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this. I'll start packing up my 60+ pounds soon. By the way, did you choose to pack some of your nemesis foods (I noticed the M&M's), or was it just by chance they were there?

Jill
    September 7, 2010 at 12:43 am

Wow! This is great! So inspiring!!! Keep up the great work!

Rhonda
    September 7, 2010 at 1:24 am

That is awesome girl! 110 Woohooos for you! I love you are donating food too…such a great cause!

Steelers6
    September 7, 2010 at 3:53 am

Hey girl, catching up as I was away..loved the boots you modeled; yay for calves that fit in boots, and bodies that are comfy in higher heels now! Wahoo! Glad to hear that you got out w/some friends recently. Can't believe your friends car bill!! Ouch.

GREAT JOB ON HITTING 110!! So proud of you. And good point, if you can lose it now, you can lose it. You ARE doing this. All that swimming added up! (or subtracted..)

It's hard to imagine 110 lbs when you have it in the car in grocery sacks…

Have a divine week dear.
    Chrissy

Steph
    September 7, 2010 at 7:27 am

110 pounds is amazing!!! I have finally been released from my Dr. after having surgery and want to really focus on getting in shape. I just love food way to much and eat all the wrong things. Please e mail me any good tips to get started. I could really use some support.

Jill
    September 7, 2010 at 8:48 am

Isn't amazing what it looks like to see how much you have lost, don't you wonder HOw we carry it around. What a greaat job you are doing

Annie
    September 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I just love that you donated food your lost weight in pounds of food! What a fantastic idea to take the Lose for Good campaign a step further! I will do the same this year. So far I'm down 42.8 pounds! :o)

Stephanie
    September 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Being a member of WW, I've heard about this on several occasions, and I think it's such an awesome thing to participate in. You rock! 🙂

Zoe D.
    September 8, 2010 at 2:36 am

This is gold for all of us:

"I spend a lot of time talking about how far I have to go, but I really have come a long way already. And it feels great to know that as I lose weight through eating well and exercise that I'm gaining strength, balance and speed."

Yes, we have to keep our eyes on the prize, but it is tough to stay strongly motivated every day (and every day counts, you know?). Keeping an eye on past achievements is crucial!

So, even my eleven pounds is more weight than I want to carry with one hand, right?

Val
    September 8, 2010 at 4:46 am

LOVE the idea of a physical pic of how much weight you have lost. How impressive!
    You're awesome chica!!

Jo
    September 13, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Wow!!! I just found your blog, and I have to give you huge props. You are doing yourself so much good, and I hope you keep at it!! 110 lbs is amazing! Keep at it!