Falling Down

I fell down yesterday for the first time in over a year. I was in the shower at a hotel when the phone rang, and I jumped out quickly to answer it thinking it could only be one person. I didn’t consider the fact that it was most likely housekeeping, but it was. Ha..

When I came out of the shower I slipped on the wet floor and fell to my knees – not exactly my shining moment, but I was alone…thankfully. And my immediate thought upon impact was “Wow! This is my first fall in over a year. I used to fall all the time, and nothing feels broken this time.”

The fall caused a few bruises on my right leg and one on my left, but it reminded me how far I’ve come. Before I began losing weight, I fell regularly. My mom would be the first to tell you that I’m just naturally clumsy. I worried about walking in the rain, the snow and in shoes that were not sneakers. My legs fought constantly to maintain balance because of all of the added weight on my body’s frame.

But over the last year my body has begun to transform into a healthier, sturdier form. And I no longer characterize myself as ‘clumsy.’ My fall today happened as a result of moving too quickly on a wet, slippery surface and not because I struggle everyday to maintain my balance. 🙂

Perhaps I shouldn’t sound quite so excited about falling yesterday morning, but I am proud of myself for getting right back up. It was important to realize that while I may still fall at times, it is not my way of life. I’m so much stronger than I was. This truth can be applied literally and metaphorically.

Life changed yesterday, and I have some big and unexpected obstacles to face. But it’s a new day, and I’m ready to get started. I was reminded as I fell to my knees that somewhere inside me I do have the strength to stand up when I fall down, and that’s exactly what I plan to do…

Jill
    September 8, 2010 at 9:55 am

It is amazing how good these NSV can be even if it is falling down. GLad to heare you are ok.

Angela
    September 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

I totally understand this. I used to fall all of the time as well and am now happy to say that even though I haven't lost more than 10 lbs, because I am working out and getting stronger physically, I really don't fear falling that much anymore.

Shane G.
    September 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

Great job Kenz! I love the metaphorical when it is discovered by a real world event. It tickles me for some reason.

I used to have a very weak core group, but it is apparently alot stronger now as evidenced by my hike this weekend. I can only imagine how strong your core group is!

Stephanie
    September 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

Ouch! First off, I'm glad you're okay. Secondly, what a great NSV! 🙂

Tanya
    September 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

Glad you didn't get badly hurt. Slipping in the shower can sometimes lead to serious injuries.

Also, LOVE the metaphor. You can fall, but you'll get right back up. Way to go!

Ms. Chunky Chick
    September 8, 2010 at 11:37 am

Glad your not hurt and that is an amazing way to look at life!

Helen
    September 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Sorry you had to actually fall to get that lesson but what a great analogy!

Amanda
    September 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Hang in there, Kenz… you're sounding great 😀

Genie @ Diet of 51
    September 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Wow, Kenz, you can find (and communicate) motivation in just about anything! That is a talent that will take you FAR! Glad you're nothing beyond bruised.

Annaleah
    September 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Wow. You provided some real nuggets for reflection. Thank you for sharing, and for giving me a challenge. What is my mental mindset about 'getting right back up?'

Deb
    September 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for sharing this. It's amazing what can be a victory, hey?

Lisa @No More Diet Drama
    September 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Glad your ok. I have been a clumsy tripper my whole life…even when I'm thin. When I was pregnant with my first son…I fell 2x in one day flat on my 8 month pregnant stomach. Scary and embarassing. Thank goodness he was well cushioned in there…lol.

Anyhow….great post. You are getting stronger and more balanced everyday as you are working toward optimal health.

I'm proud of you for seeing the silver lining of your fall 🙂

Trudy
    September 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Such a great attitude to have. A terrific 'life' metaphor too and you should be so proud of yourself!

Anonymous
    September 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I am so taken with your blog, Kenz. I am a 64 year old woman who has struggled with my weight for many, many years. I am a fellow WW member and it is coming off slow but sure but more importantly, I am learning new things about my food addiction every day and with every pound. I read your blog as well as Sean's when I need inspiration and have shared your websites with a friend who is also losing weight.

I am happy you did not injure yourself yesterday and keep on keeping on! You have so much to be proud of. So great that you are doing this for yourself while you are young! You are beautiful inside and out!

CathyB
    September 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Atta girl! Glad you weren't hurt. Love the analogy!

jennykate77
    September 8, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I think that is very symbolic of your life right now!! You DO have the strength to get back up and keep on keepin' on!!!

Annie
    September 8, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Such a great analogy and exactly what I needed to read today! So glad you're okay after you fall and that it was no biggie. 🙂

Real Life Reslers
    September 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm

You have an awesome attitude! If I fell I would probably just cuss! I'm getting my butt to the gym this evening!

Steelers6
    September 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Arg! Not more big and unexpected obstacles. *sigh*. So glad you are ready to start though, girl. Just keep movin' fwd, eh?

I hear ya on the balance and falls. I feel much more balanced now that I am losing and working out. I think our strong cores are a big part of that improvement.

Hugs, Chrissy

Deb Willbefree
    September 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

:0 chuckle. Kena, If you can find joy in falling down, wet, onto a hard floor–you are going to kick butt with the difficulties you're facing. They do not have a chanck. 😀

Glad you're pushing forward with such determination.

Deb

Donell
    September 8, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Hi,

I've nominated you for a blog award! See the details at my blog: http://sheshapesup.blogspot.com/ .

jenbythesea
    September 8, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Hi Kenz,
    Great blog today! I, too, enjoyed the symbolism of your fall and ability to get back up. It does kind of sum up what you've been going through the past couple of weeks.
    There must be something in the air with falling, though. Yesterday morning I fell as I was walking to my classroom. I tripped over the curb of the sidewalk and fell flat on my left knee. Then this morning when I walked into my gym there was a rug that had bunched up and I tripped over THAT. My water bottle went rolling, towel flew and my bag with my headset flew along with it. It's a wonder I could walk today at all. Luckily I don't think there was any major damage except to my pride!

Christina
    September 8, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were. It sounds like your inner strength has grown right along with your outer strength. Just keep going and I know you will get to your goal.

Susan Astramskas-Simpson
    September 9, 2010 at 3:03 am

Kenz I'm glad you weren't hurt too badly. Not to change the subject but have you ever thought about being a ww leader when you reach goal? You have a great way of communicating through your words and think you would do a wonderfull job

Stephanie
    September 9, 2010 at 4:43 am

Hello again, Kenz! 🙂 You've been nominated for an award! 🙂 Please visit my blog at http://www.unveilingthediva.blogspot.com/ for more details. Congrats! *Hugs*

Just Me
    September 9, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Ouch, glad you weren't badly injured as well. You seem like the person that will always get back up and carry on.

PrettyWoman
    September 9, 2010 at 6:07 pm

You have been heavy on my mind, glad you are OK. keep on keeping on Kenz. Youve got this.

Christina
    September 10, 2010 at 12:56 am

I have given you an award. Stop by my blog to pick it up

Michele
    September 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I followed Christina over and found your blog. Impressive, over 110 pounds lighter. My falling story is slipping on the ice when I was at an environmental learning center with my college students. I broke my leg. The story I usually tell is that (this is true) my leg got twisted around a bench, but I know too that being obese had something to do with it, too. I am glad your fall netted no broken blogs. I am going to follow you! Michele @http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/