Weigh-In Day and Reader Question

by Kenlie Tiggeman on September 16, 2010

Today is Thursday which means it’s time for me to face the scale. And honestly, I don’t think it will be pretty, but I’ll face the music anyway because that’s how this works. That’s what makes me successful long-term. I can’t expect much because I didn’t put much effort into my week until Tuesday. But there’s a genuine smile on my face that hasn’t been here in a while, and that is really most important in the big picture.

One of my favorite blog readers, Tammy, asked a question a few days ago, and I’d like to address it here. She said…

“Kenz – I forgot to ask – do you usually weigh more than once a week at your WW meeting? I weigh myself every day, even though WW frowns on that. I can’t help myself….”

Tammy, I don’t weight myself more than once a week. I would drive myself crazy! I know people who do it daily and even a few who do it multiple times per day, but no way…not I! Our bodies change constantly. We weigh more after dinner or a workout or a snack. I would not have made it this far if I weighed myself constantly.

The scale is simply a guide to help me be sure that I’m on the right path. If I obsessed over it, I would get discouraged because of things that are perfectly natural. I know others feel differently, but I don’t expect my feelings on the scale to change any time soon. It’s necessary to track the numbers, but once a week is definitely enough for me.

Speaking of the scale…we have a date this afternoon. I’ll let you know it goes…

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Deb Willbefree September 16, 2010 at 4:04 am

Good luck, sweet pea. :D Deb

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥ September 16, 2010 at 4:26 am

Thanks Deb! <3 You!!

Val September 16, 2010 at 4:33 am

"But there's a genuine smile on my face that hasn't been here in a while, and that is really most important in the big picture." I love this. SOOOOO true!

Hope the weigh-in went well! :)

Jill September 16, 2010 at 7:02 am

what a great smile Kenz, all the best for weigh in. jill

Shane G. September 16, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love me some Kenzi! Hope the weigh in went well dear!

Sarah September 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hope it goes okay as you expect. :)

Read this yesterday and thought of you. Workouts are a good thing. And so few of us (including myself) get 'er done a regular basis. Thanks for reminder.

KellyNY September 16, 2010 at 11:23 am

Good luck Kenz!

Annaleah September 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Awesome smile, and awesome attitude going into your weigh in. I got a new scale yesterday and wasn't that happy with the number, but I needed a good reality check to kick me in the rear. Your smile indicates that you are already in the right mindset.

Annie September 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I love that picture of you! You're lookin' good! :o)

Good luck on the scale tonight. No matter what it shows, you already know you're on the right track once again and you know how to lose weight! Enjoy your meeting!

Deb September 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I have to say, you are so beautiful. That is a great picture.

Sorry, I know I should say something deeper then that, but that's the first thought I had.

I also think the scale can be a dangerous thing when overused.

Anonymous September 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Do you have your dog with you now that you are back in the city??? I so hope you do!!!

Neva4getme September 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Beautiful picture!!! Your smile is stunning :)

Tammy September 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Thanks for the update, Kenz! I used to only weigh once a week, then my husband bought a home scale, and I fell into the trap of weighing every day. My goal for this week is to only weigh at WW on Wednesday and at home on Sunday — just to stay accountable through the weekend. Actually, we don't have a WW meeting again until the 29th, so the home scale will have to be the number on Wednesday next week, too. I will wean off of the weighing every day! Baby steps, right? Good luck when you meet the scale tonight! Also, you look marvelous!

Susan Astramskas-Simpson September 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Kenz…good for you to keep going. I know in the past I have quit because when I was scared I would just not go weigh in…I went back to WW this past Saturday for the first time in 3 or 4 months…I faced the music and it wasnt as bad as what I thought…I didnt gain back all the 95 pounds I lost just 1/2…but hey thats ok…I look forward to Saturday and hopefully will face a different kind of music.

Thanks for the inspiration…you hang in there..you are keeping after it.

Christine September 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm

That's one of my favorite pictures of you. You look beautiful!

Shawn September 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I weigh myself every morning and sometimes at night. This is horrible! I sets the tone for my entire day. if it reflects a lower number than I celebrate by rewarding myself, typically with food, and if it's a high number I beat myself up and eat out of depression!..I need to throw that stupid thing away!

Stephanie September 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Good luck, Kenz! I can't face the scale more than once a week either, or else it drives me batty. :)

Brittany September 16, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Beautiful! And i definitely agree that weighing more than once a week & on different scales will make us go crazy! You are beautiful girl, and keep up the good work!

* ButterflyChik* September 17, 2010 at 2:26 am

Hey Hey,
I stumbled over your blog today and I just had to tell you I'm enjoying your blog. I became a follower and I'm looking forward to keeping up and leaving comments. I hope you will check out my blog, and become a follower. I have a button, and I'd like to add you to my blog roll. I hope you have a lovely weekend. God Bless You and Yours

Love,
Jess

totallytheturtle September 17, 2010 at 3:36 am

Wow, your smile lights up a room! Awesome attitude about weighing in only once a week. Actually, you have a pretty awesome attitude about everything…

Maria September 17, 2010 at 6:37 am

Hey, I don't mean to indtrude, but what ever happened to your dog?

Michele September 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I agree: weigh in less rather than more. I weigh in every two weeks, but I am not doing WW, just calorie counting. Good luck on the scales.