Fresh Ideas?

I love the produce section, but I tend to find myself buying the same veggies every week. I buy onions, green peppers, bananas, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, apples and zucchini because I never get tired of eating those vegetables. But I’d like some fresh ideas if you have some for me.

When I go to the store later today, I’d like to pick up something different. I’ll buy sweet potatoes which I do from time to time, and perhaps I’ll even grab some navel oranges. I love those, but I had forgotten until I started writing this post. I also discovered that I like tomatoes recently, but I’m picky about them.

I want to add some color to my new fruit basket! Do you have any ideas for me? What are your go-to vegetables? What am I leaving off of my must-have list?

Megan
    October 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm

We love broccoli (roasted with garlic infused olive oil, salt and parmesan cheese) and sugar snap peas (raw or in stir fry). I peeled and sliced sweet potatoes last night and put them in the steamer- couldn't have been easier or tastier!

The Dworianyns
    October 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Mushrooms, they go great with everything! Also roasted asparagus with a little drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper with a dash of balsamic vinegar, it's really yummy!

Potato Diva
    October 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Baby carrots and hummus!

Broccoli, fresh sliced mushrooms, baby corn (canned is fine) – add the baby carrots chopped up and some chopped chicken breast with some soy sauce or the like and you got a great do to meal that takes better heated up the next day for lunch!

Faux mashed potatoes – microwave a head of cauliflower florets and puree with some skim milk and light butter. Tastes like the real thin baby! Serve with a slice of ham steak and green beans. Yum Yum.

Green beans. with some toasted almonds and olive oil. Scrumptious.

Thanks for the post. You got me thinking about my own lack of variety in my fridge. Good luck. Love your blog. Am a new reader and am really enjoying it.

Tammy
    October 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

My favorite is baby carrots with some ranch dip. Since the carrots are free on program, I splurge with 1 Point worth of real ranch dressing instead of the fat-free stuff. I like some of the Green Giant "Just for One" veggies that are free or one Point (broccoli and cheese, carrots and broccoli in Italian seasoning, or green peas and corn). In the winter, I like to get the "cuties" — are like a tangerine, but seedless.

Jessica
    October 20, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I love to grill eggplant on the Forman Grill. I throw mushrooms and spinach into everything. And you can get frozen edamame now that you heat in the microwave that is already seasoned with a bit of seasalt…YUM!

Amy
    October 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I used to be all about the baby carrots until I found out what they really are (the ugly carrots soaked in a chemical that causes cancer – yuk!)

FAV VEGGIES:
    White onions (they're sweeter)
    Tomatoes (must be super firm – I'm picky too)
    Avocados (MY FAVOURITE!!!! good in salad… actually delicious)
    Green & Red Peppers
    Cucumbers (My favourite snack is cucumber and vinegar)
    Asparagus (must be skinny ones, steam with water, bit of olive oil and salt)
    Baby Red Potatoes (super yummy cut into quarters and roasted with garlic and seasoning)

FAV FRUIT:
    I always buy bananas (unless it's super hot out then they go bad too fast)
    Raspberries (yummmy but expensive)
    Green grapes (only when on sale)
    Apples (they're in season right now and DELICIOUS)
    Clementines (can't wait for Christmas!)
    Frozen berries (cheap option for berries)

Sara
    October 20, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Might be my first time commenting here….first things first, you are very pretty! 🙂 There, I have said it.

Now, regarding what fruits and veggies to try:
    Veggies:
    Eggplant(Grilled panini), Carrots (love it with Hummus), Green Beans(filling, steamed with some lemon juice and s&p, Cauliflower(very filling)

Fruits:
    Mangoes, pineapple, papaya (you can tell I am from the tropics. :-))

Take care.
    Sara

Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm

My favs are broccoli, cauliflower,real carrots not baby ones. Its not always to find good produce in the Midwest in the winter months. Buy whats in season and enjoy.

Randi@kickingfat
    October 20, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I love broccoli, cauliflower, greens (mustard, collard and turnip) sweet potatos. string beans, zucchini, spinach

Fruits I love: Mango, papaya, clementines, raspberries,blueberries,kiwi,pluots,pears

Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Hello Kenz!
    I know you read hungry girl… have you ever tried her sunomono salad from cookbook 3? it's pretty summery…(very thinly sliced cucumbers and crab) but still so yummy and low in points may be worth making even though it's fall … it really fixes my sushi cravings, too… i always add more soy sauce to the dressing ingredients and also add sliced green onions. makes a huge bowl to keep in fridge for snacking…p.s. if you make this be sure to have mandolin slicer to easily make the cucumber slices thin thin thin… they are cheap to buy… hope you enjoy! always pulling for you! think you are amazing! love, Nicole T

Deb
    October 20, 2010 at 7:48 pm

If you like green peppers, you should get some yellow or orange as well. SO tasty!

KellyNY
    October 20, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Peaches, pears, baby carrots, eggplant, brocolli.

Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Have you tried Jicama?
    My fav way is to peel it and cut it into strips and eat with hummus or ranch dip. I have also chopped it and put it in my salad for a little crunch!!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    October 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

being Latin we do buy some staples like Yucca and plantains. We also like cubanela peppers, and we buy tons of cabbage to make salads (just cabbage, tomatoes, corn with oil/vinegar and salt). I also like Brussels sprouts and red onions.

Rhonda
    October 21, 2010 at 12:37 am

Hey girl!

I love broccoli,mushrooms, red, yellow, and orange peppers (must try if you like green….they are sweeter.), sugar snap peas are also great when you want something crunchy. I couldn't live with out tomatoes…although in the store in the winter months…nasty!

On another note: Got a pic for me? I hope you had a good day. I'm thinking of you today and praying. Let me know please!

Zepherine
    October 21, 2010 at 3:03 am

Haricot Verts (Skinny green beans), Rutabagas, Turnips, Kale, Japanese Sweet potatoes(they have a white flesh and taste a little like apples), Yucca, fennel, leeks, eggplants. Any kind of winter squash, like sugar pumpkins, calabaza squash. I'm blessed to work near a international farmer's market with great cheap produce.

Steelers6
    October 21, 2010 at 3:51 am

Me love avocados..I have learned to eat a bit of an avocado on my salads instead of dressing, on a sandw in place of mayo..

I'm also a fan of broccoli, steamed in my omelets, mushrooms go with everything, spinach in my omelets..I like asparagus a lot, and yes, steamed in my omelets, haha, or over a salad.

I eat veggie wraps a lot, veggie omelets..

I like sprouts, but I don't seem to be able to eat them fast enough.

I use a lot of zucchini bc it can kinda 'hide' in anything. But it's also good 'out in the open'. ha

Perhaps you were looking for more exotic ideas. Sorry, mine are kind of mainstream, but certainly my go to these days.

Do you like blueberries?

Ok ya'll are making me hungry! haha
    Chrissy

ssanla10070
    October 21, 2010 at 4:11 am

Avocados are great, red onions, yellow squash, snow peas. Mushrooms of all varieties for pizzas, burgers etc, omelets. Berries, pears for fruit

Nikke Brown
    October 21, 2010 at 7:59 am

I absolutely love baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and avocados!

Shane G.
    October 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

I do celery and peanut butter every night for my night cap at 8. I love green apples but they have to be sliced up pretty small for some reason. I love me some green grapes. I am a tomato addict but don't buy them as much as I would like. I do one banana a day for my morning snack. wow, I eat more fruit than I realized… haha.

Anonymous
    October 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Pickles,…..

Stacy
    October 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have been enjoying fresh fruit and greek yogurt for dessert at night. I really love fresh pineapple and have been eating alot of blueberries and blackberries which seem to be really fresh right now.
    For veggies I buy mushrooms and use them sliced for pita pizzas with chicken strips, green peppers, onions. I use mushrooms whole in stir frys with garlic, onion, broccoli, steak strips (or chicken)and red peppers.
    I love just about any kind of squash but acorn is my favorite.
    I love sauteed yellow squash, zucchini and onions.
    I also love cabbage and your post made me think I need to make a pan of "fried" cabbage using either a little olive oil or some Smart Balance Lite butter.
    A good light salad can be made using sliced cucumbers, sweet onions, fat free or lowfat sour cream and vinegar. YUMMY

Deb Willbefree
    October 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Well, I'm a broccoli and cauliflower fan–but they're actually betteer frozen than fresh. More nutrients usually. Fresher than the produce you'd buy.

As far as fresh–mushrooms! Almost no calories and tons of flavor. I chop them up and saute them for my spaghetti sauce. 🙂

Have fun.

Deb

Anonymous
    October 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hi Kenz …since Ive been on WW Ive expanded my vegtable eating..lol The only time I ate cabbage was if it was in an egg roll or cole slaw. Now I buy the bag of cole slaw mix…and use it to stir fry with veggies…its great. I also love green, yellow, red peppers w/ onion frozen mix from Reasors in the frozen section. Also enjoy squash, zuchinni, brocolli and frozen green beans. I grew up with canned everything now I prefer frozen except for peas. What a great topic. Hope things are going well. Susan from Tulsa 🙂

Colie's Kitchen
    October 23, 2010 at 12:17 am

Hi This is Nicole from Colies Kitchen I found you on a blog hop and wanted to drop by and say hi. I really like your blog, and am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. http://www.colieskitchen.com