Accomplishments Consistency

Okay, I’m Throwing in the Towel

Last week, I excitedly shared that I had found a new Weight Watchers group and a new gym in my new city. I was so pleased with myself as I wrote that post because I have desperately longed to get back into a groove since my world flipped upside down over the summer. But I received comments from a reader who expressed her disappointment in me for not losing more than 12 pounds since losing my first 100 pounds, and I’m disappointed in myself too so I give up. I mean, if all I can do is lose 112 pounds in a year a half then surely it must be time to throw in the towel…so thanks for giving me a new perspective “Maureen.” It’s obvious that I need not worry about moving forward so bring on the Blue Bell Moolenium Crunch…I quit!

PSYCH!

Quitting has never been an option for me nor is it an option now. I love losing weight even if it’s not fast enough to please every single person reading this blog. This journey is for me anyway. And my blog is about my progress and my ups and downs. And that’s the way it will continue to be.

I love comments – sharing them with others and receiving them. When I don’t have something positive to say, I tend to stay quiet, but I can’t control how anyone reacts to what I write. And I wouldn’t want to. I feel blessed to say that after receiving over 5,000 comments in the last year and a half that I can count all of the negatives on one hand. A couple of those negatives came over the weekend when “Maureen” left some comments worth discussing so bear with me as I work through them.

She said…

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I’m a bit disappointed and confused as to why you’ve only lost 12lbs since you hit the 100lbs lost mark in the Spring and that was months ago. Is WW no longer effective or are you just overindulging? There’s another blog I follow on your blogroll where the author’s dropped over 50lbs since the Spring on WW too.”

You can see the full comments here.

Then after several comments of encouragement from others, she left a follow-up comment. She said,

I’m just wondering as someone who’s followed her journey in blogland how honest Kenz is really being with us followers and herself. If someone’s really watching every bite and working out like mad there’s no way they’d only lose 12lbs in 6 months (barring a medical condition), especially when they lost 100lbs in a year. This is way beyond a plateau, the numbers (and words written here) simply don’t add up. Just sayin

I’ve been extraordinarily open about my weight-loss since Day One of this blog. And while I’ve chosen not to turn my blog into a daily pity party about the trials I’ve faced recently, which do include a medical condition, the fact remains that I have struggled greatly. But I have not hidden that fact. And I certainly haven’t claimed that I “watch every bite and workout like mad.” I typically do not eat beyond my daily POINTS allowance, but I’m much more productive when I eat high protein and high fiber foods as part of balanced meals. Also, you can see my workout schedule on my blog.

Life changed drastically, and I was as open as I felt I could be about those struggles. Check out my posts from August..they’re gut-wrenching. Could I have shared more details? Of course…but it was tough to share as much as I did. Is Weight Watchers still effective? Of course it is…Millions have lost, and I’m still losing consistently too.

While “Maureen” left negative comments, I received support from so many of you just as I always do. And those comments mean so much…especially on days in which people seek to tear me down. Where there’s one negative comment, there are more than 20 positives…and this is one of my favorites…

Zedramaqueen said,

“…It’s her blog, and she’s telling her story…and only SHE knows her entire story…Bottom line – it’s Kenz’s life and Kenz’s journey, and we are choosing to read her blog and ride along with her. If we don’t like the ride, we can get off at any time…”

MsGigglepuss said,

…Wow. Weight loss isn’t always one straight line even when you’re following the program. Stress and other factors can really mess things up! Chill out and use your energy for good, not cranky doubting.

And Deb said,

Re: Maureen’s confusion. chuckle. I think the fact that you lost 12 pounds instead of gaining 40 pounds is amazing!!!! Ain’t no plan can cover what you’ve put up with in those six months! Unless it would be the WW’s “living in a suitcase while your life is turned upside down” plan.”

Perhaps “Maureen” didn’t mean to be offensive, but she left little clues that lead me to believe she thinks she knows me better than she does. So “Maureen” I would encourage you to continue to read my blog and watch for the continued success that is imminent. But if you’re here to see me drop my remaining weight by April then you will be disappointed. There are blogs you can follow if you wish to see people lose 200 pounds in a year, but that won’t happen on this one.

Weight-loss is not a contest. For me, success has come from making big changes and small changes over time. I could have made a lot of excuses over the summer. Life was hard, but I didn’t give up. Could I have done more for myself? Absolutely! But priorities are personal, and I take full responsibility for my physical and emotional well-being.

I knew that when I began to post about my life so candidly that I would be open to criticism. And I’m okay with that. Do I need that kind of negative encouragement? Nope…Do I deserve it? Nope…but I’m happy to have cleared the air because I’m ready to move forward.

I am ready to see the numbers on the scale drop substantially again, and I am doing what it takes this week to make that happen. I’m trying to get it right just like everyone else on this journey. There’s no easy solution, but I won’t be throwing in the towel anytime soon…just sayin’…

SeattleRunnerGirl
    October 19, 2010 at 4:08 am

Kenz, fabulous post. I think those who have read your blog for any length of time with an open heart know exactly where you're coming from the and the long, hard road you've been on lately. Shame on Maureen for trying to belittle the ENORMOUS success you've had over these recent, rough months. And AMEN to you for being excited to 'bring it' in the coming months – I'm excited for you, too!

Karla
    October 19, 2010 at 4:25 am

Kenz, I am a recent follower, and man did I need to read this tonight!!! Thank You!!! You have come sooo far, there are soo many negative people out here in blog land it just shocks me to my toes!! but positive people is what I am striving to surround myself with

faithful new follower!!! Right here!!!

Jill
    October 19, 2010 at 4:28 am

You dealt with this so well! I always get upset when I get negative comments, which isn't very often, but it's hard not to take them personal wand to rip someone's head off. I love reading your blog and that you're letting all of us be part of your life. Having my own blog I know it's a struggle to decide how personal you want to get here. I recently shared a very personal story on my craft-based blog, but was glad I did due to the out-pouring of support I got. P.S. Apparently no one told Maureen that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. Keep at it, I'll be here cheering you on!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    October 19, 2010 at 4:34 am

Being that I've tried myself (not with effort) to loose weight since March, I know this is not an easy task.
    This is why I hate technology, I feel people seem entitled to be mean and "honest" -which to me is just another code word for rude- while hiding behind a computer.
    You go girl, we are all cheering for you!

eenni meeni me
    October 19, 2010 at 4:38 am

Hi Kenz, I only recently came across your blog from another weight watcher blog. I am a fellow WW in Australia and I really think you are amazing at what you have faced over the summer and that you have STILL steadily lost weight. I don't think Maureen meant to be mean spirited but sadly we are all going to come across silly people 'just sayin' here in blog land!!
    hey on the upside of being in blog land know that you are inspiring people all over the globe by your honesty and struggles, including one little old housewife down under! ha

Deb Willbefree
    October 19, 2010 at 5:05 am

Hey, Kenz.

Thanks for the mention. 🙂 And I'm sorry that Maureen's comments took the turn they did. I didn't see her second one–whcih more clearly exposed the attitude that could be inferred from the first.

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is a way to ask a question if one is sincerely uncertain about what has happened that doesn't involve a negative judgment… Just sayin.

(My father would have called Maureen's attempt to uncover the truth as "going off half-cocked". chuckle.)

Anyway, you handled it well. Hopefully, Maureen will read and learn a valuable lesson in how to express oneself. We have all made clumsy comments–it's our choice whether or not we learn from our error.

On the other hand, you, Kenz, are a class act! I'm glad to know ye.

Deb

Reem
    October 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

Very well said, and I think anyone who is struggling with weight loss knows how difficult it is to lose or even keep weight during hard times, and you kept going on , encouraging us all to do the same, I wish you best of luck and be it a year or two, you will always be doing things the best way that suits your life and situation. Stay strong so we can get some of your strength :)And thanx for this blog, where we can get inspired and meet kind and thoughtful persons to lift us up when we are feeling down..

MB
    October 19, 2010 at 11:05 am

Why am I always surprised when I see people like "Maureen" around the blogsphere? I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel because you inspire me every single day. I spent the first two years of my blog talking about losing weight and didn't start to make any real progress until last Nov. Since then I've ONLY lost a little over 50 pounds while I've seen others lose over 100 in the same timeframe. I've lost weight fast before and ALWAYS gained it back. You're doing great so keep up the good work. Remember … slow and steady ….

Tammy
    October 19, 2010 at 11:12 am

You're right that weight loss is not a contest. Everyone is different, and even if several of us ate the exact same things and worked out at exactly the same pace for the same time, at the end of the week you would see a different result for everyone! Sometimes real life gets in the way of what could be a perfect plan – hormones, illness, stress — those all affect weight loss, even if you did count every bite and workout like a fiend. Keep up the good work, Kenz! We are with you on YOUR journey!

Mind Over Fatter
    October 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wow, great post, you scared me when I started to read it but glad to see you were in fact fighting back. I commend you and am supporting you all the way. I have only been in the blogosphere for a month now and am amazed that there are people out there that can't just take this as a true support system. We all know this has to be a personal journey and there are many factors that affect how successful we are at different times. The last thing any of us need is the "I hope you don't take this the wrong way but…" inputs. My motto is if you can't say something positive to a fellow blogger, shut up and move on to someone else. In fact I found there are a few bloggers out there that seem to love putting others down, being the critics, etc so why no go there and dump your load. I prefer to have a circle of people who are positive, inspiring and in it for the long run, no matter how long that run is!

Lanie Painie
    October 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

You didn't have me fooled for a minute. What is WRONG with people?

Keep up the good work. I have confidence in you!

*Whitney*
    October 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

This isn't a race. If you only lose a certain number of lbs in 6 months, so be it. This is your journey not hers! You're doing great! Don't let any of this negativity get you down! Look how much you've accomplished already! 🙂

Granny2Em
    October 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Kenz you have done an amazing job at losing weight which is THE hardest thing in the world to do. Most of us with food issues would have gained most or maybe all of that weight back had we gone through the emotional times you have recently. I am losing at a slow rate but you know what, I'm losing and that's all that counts. You did a great job responding to this situation. You go girl!

*HUGS*

Christine
    October 19, 2010 at 1:12 pm

You should be proud of your accomplishments. Clearly you know how to lose weight, and you will continue to, again, when you're ready. Life has a way of sneaking up on you sometimes and demand all of your energy. Sometimes you just need to refocus, reprioritize, and fix some other areas that are "more broken" than your weight, you know? Anyway, I love reading about your journey and about your life. I hope you are doing well and are happy right now.

Annaleah
    October 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Yay! Yay! Yay for you! Kudos to you for not letting this negative comment get in your way. In fact, your honest account of your challenges have helped me stay motivated to continue on in the midst of my journey. If this were a blog were 100 pounds was coming off in 6 months, it wouldn't be the blog for me. I'm committed to doing my weight loss journey with normal food (I count calories), and not a fad diet of any kind. Although my heart has broken for you as I've read about your recent challenges, I have stayed with you – knowing that you would find a way to get back on YOUR track (not anyone else's). Which is why I read.

Keep up the good work on YOUR journey, and continue to let the negatives roll off. You go, girl!

Anonymous
    October 19, 2010 at 1:19 pm

So how much has "Maureen" lost in this time span? Why is she so worried about you? Didn't her momma tell her to keep her nose out of everyone else's business?
    Kenz – you have had a lot going on since you lost your first 100 lbs and the fact that you haven't gained and have lost 12 lbs is a major accomplishment.
    Keep your head high girl!!! Your still an inspiration to me!!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    October 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Great attitude, Kenz! You have kept off 112 pounds for over a year? Even if you never lose another pound, you are already an amazing success. Never, ever forget that!

When someone else (who doesn't even know you) has expectations of what you do with your weight, it just raises red flags about what that other person is all about. It has nothing to do with you.

Just keep doing what makes YOU happy.

Thanks for posting this…even to post about it instead of just quietly taking it in is wonderful.

Shawn
    October 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

112 pounds is nothing less than amazing! You can loose the weight and become the person on the outside that matches the person you are on the inside…beautiful. Sadly, I have less hope for Maureen. She may always be a negative, ugly person on the inside.

I'm thinking is she felt the need to leave a disclaimer about not intending her comment to be mean and for you to not take it personally she shouldn't have left it at all!

zedramaqueen
    October 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but…

LOVE THIS POST!!!!! 😀

Thanks for the mention – keep plugging away, woman! You have so much going for you, and I know that there is a beautiful future ahead!

midlife_swimmer
    October 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I would like to point out that this is not a diet…we are all learning a new lifestyle and…. Ive taken 3 years to loose 160 lbs….and my head needed that time… Ive had to wrap my feelings around being a whole large body size smaller so far and I dont plan to be done any time soon… I want my weight loss to be sustainable and habit….. unlike my life of gaining.

great post!

Annie
    October 19, 2010 at 2:48 pm

No one should ever sit at their computers and judge ANYONE'S weight-loss journey, no matter how much or how little they lose in a certain amount of time. There is no magic number. There are people on WW losing weight weekly, there are those who don't. The average is 1-2 pounds a week, but there are many people that lose .2 one week and then 5 the next! It differs for everyone. Stress, water, exercise, hormones….they all play into it and the very fact that Kenz lost 12 pounds with all of the stresses going on in her life is quite the accomplishment.

Carry on, Kenz….and don't let negative comments get to you. You're better than that!

Jen
    October 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I've been noticing a lot of bullying on these blogs lately. These people just have too much time on their hands, and most likely, they are dealing with their own issues and just put other people down to make themselves feel better.

You should be VERY PROUD of what you've accomplished. Don't ever let anyone else make you feel that you're not doing what you need/want to do! I know you're an inspiration to myself and a lot of your readers!

Keep up the good work, Kenz!

Maureen
    October 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Point taken Kenz. It's crystal clear to me now by your reaction to my posts that you are not genuinely interested nor receptive to honest cricitism. What you really want are people to keep patting you on the back and say 'it's ok Kenz, we know you've been through so much' rather than call you out and question why your progress has slowed down so much. All I asked was for you to be honest w/your readers and yourself but I can see that hit a nerve. In the real world people struggle w/real problems and setbacks everyday and somehow manage to keep living and losing. I understand you're selective about which details of your personal life to share here in blogland. Therefore my assesment/opinions are based on what you've put out there. People break up with boyfriends/girlfriends everyday and yeah sometimes it's ugly but they move on. A breakup, job change (by choice) and a move is hardly the end of the world, gimme a break! Stop making excuses and use this free time wisely to get yourself back in gear. You can write whatever you want but at the end of the day you cannot lie to yourself. If you're truly happy losing 12lbs in 6 months and remaining at your current weight for a long time to come carry on. You have a tremendous amount of potential and can do so much better. Be proud of what you've accomplished but move forward w/the same vigor you once had so you can lose the next 100lbs. Best of luck to you!

Tammy
    October 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Maureen….would you SHUT UP already????? Dear Lord I don't remember Kenz asking you for your opinion! Leave the girl alone! If you don't like her progress….then don't comment…and don't read. Is that so hard? Weight loss is serious business….it has a zillion ups and downs along the way. How fast she is losing is not the point…I'm actually BIGGER than I was at this time last year….but you know what? She's still in the game…and she still has her eyes on her goal. The fact that she hasn't given up no matter how she's been detoured makes her a winner. Nobody needs comments from people like you. If you're not here to help or encourage…then LEAVE.

P.S. Hi Kenz 🙂

Angela
    October 19, 2010 at 3:57 pm

This post is exactly why I follow your blog. You inspire me and keep it real. THANK YOU!!!

Congrats on your continued success.

As for Maureen, you made my blood boil. So glad you are a perfectionist and you can "judge" other people.

mensa
    October 19, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Oh Kenz … I hope you are reading and taking in all the wonderful posts of support you're getting. But, I have a feeling that you're haunted by the one. They say something about the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sometimes that's all it takes … but reading your posts, I believe you are confident and strong and you know what you need to do. I can't tell you how harmful these types of post are … not only for the ones they are directed at, but the other readers as well. I haven't lost too much over the past six months as compared to others but I am losing consistently. The fractions eventually add up. I thought it was okay but I'm having a hard time lately, mostly in my head, and becoming pretty weary with the whole process almost to the point … well, I won't even go there. Negative comments just don't help. Do what you know you can do now and it will all come together. We are not always on our own schedule when it comes to weight loss.

~Sheilah

Earl & Betty
    October 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Wow Kenz, I for one think you have done a terrific job. I realize that some people think if you are not soaring toward your goal that you are falling behind. I don't agree with that statement. Sometimes you soar, and then sometimes you just have to glide. I have been there and lost it all, only to gain it back. This time around, I am learning to live healthier amidst people that don't have the healthy lifestyle I choose. I deeply love these people and I am not here to change anyone but myself, so it is I that must adjust. Good thing is, you haven't gone backwords. I have the utmost respect for you. Keep learning, keep reaching out and I don't see you kidding yourself at all, in fact I wish I would have had your wisdom at your age.

Maureen, as for you, the hard truth is, it is cricitism unless you know all the facts. I suspect you don't.
    Hang in there Kenz ♥♥

Earl & Betty
    October 19, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Hang in there Kenz ♥♥

Amanda
    October 19, 2010 at 4:54 pm

You know, I almost wasn't going to comment with all the outpouring of support, but then I saw more of "Maureen's" work and figured what the heck.

Kenz, in the end only you know the true ins and outs of your journey, and it seems you've got a good grip on your own processes, be they physical, emotional, or mental. Although others obviously disagree, I think you were remarkably open about the different stressors you've been under for the past several months, and the fact that you have enjoyed a scale loss during that time rather than using it as an excuse to let the scale ramp back up is amazing.

Clearly not everyone is going to be pleased with the fact that life events have an impact on how we function. But they do. And you've done well, chica.

Kudos to you.

Ginger aka Gidget
    October 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Well, I think it's very commendable that you've lost 112 lbs and to me THAT is an inspiration. Weight loss is not a race and we all have our ups and downs. I think it was said best about you still LOST 12 lbs and didn't gain back 40+. I've lost weight only to gain it back before. Shit happens. You're doing great.

Anonymous
    October 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I agree with Maureen. Just sayin'!

nikkeedee2001
    October 19, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I have been following your blog for quite a while now and I think that you are a wonderful role model for those of us who are on a weight loss journey ourselves, who have been on it or who need to start. I could not agree more with Deb's comment about continuing to lose even in the unhappy situation you were in, rather than gaining. I am pretty sure that slow and steady wins the race and I will keep following your blog because you inspire me and many others. You ROCK!

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    October 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Wow…it looks like Maureen did strike a chord..and not just within me. I appreciate the outpouring of support that I've received from almost all of you.

Maureen, it is "crystal clear" that you're here to cause discord and certainly not to encourage. And you're right…I am absolutely "uninterested in receiving criticism." What started as a fair question "hey..why have you lost so little in 6 months after losing so much in the first year?" has turned into unsolicited pettiness on your part.

This blog exists as a tool for my self-honesty and growth. And if you took time to read it (though I'm certainly not asking you to) then you'd see someone who is trying to find my way back into the groove I was in when I lost the first 100.

Do I wish I could say I had lost more than 112 so far? Sure..I guess so. But I'm pretty proud of what I have lost so far, and I'm confident that I'm crawling back into the right direction. And living with regret over the summer won't cause me to lose any faster in the fall.

Life has improved for me drastically in the last month or so, and I hope you'll appreciate the wonderful things happening in your life right now Maureen. Focus on that rather than worrying about me Mo…I'll be fine. 😉

zedramaqueen
    October 19, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Long post alert!!!
    I’m going to say something that will probably annoy some of my fellow blog readers. I believe that Kenz welcomes everyone to her blog, and because of that, I think it’s fine that Maureen is posting here. The fact is that we don’t like what Maureen is saying because we are very protective of our Kenz. We recognize that scat happens. Many of us have been in the position of being on the merry-go-round that starts spinning faster and faster and we feel like we are losing control of everything in our lives. One might think that the perfect response is to at least control what we eat, and on paper, that seems fabulous. And for some, that may work. However, you need only look to the stories of how people become anorexic to see that this concept is not necessarily perfect after all. Sometimes you just have to ride it out until the world stops spinning and you can get your bearings again. And if it takes a while for that to happen and your progress slows during that time…well, thank goodness that you didn’t let go and fly off the ride! Sometimes hanging on for dear life is all that we’re capable of at the time. It doesn’t make us any less successful than the person who can jump from horse to horse, or swing to the power switch and throw it to the off position. It just means that we’re different people, it’s a different situation, it’s a different time. Anyone who uses that concept to make him/herself feel superior is making up for his/her personal lack of self-esteem.
    Maureen points out that Kenz has “a tremendous amount of potential and can do so much better ”. Is this news? Certainly not to Kenz, who pointed out in today’s post that she could have done more for herself. She’s not an idiot, and I guarantee that she would have loved to have lost more weight than she has in the last 6 months. Hell, I’d love to be at the weight I was 2 years ago. But I’m 35 pounds heavier than that. However, that still makes me 35 pounds LESS than I was 3 years ago. I’d say that’s an overall win.
    The other thing Maureen said that interested me is that she believes that what Kenz wants is “people to keep patting you on the back and say ‘it’s ok Kenz…rather than call you out and question why your progress has slowed down so much”. Hmmm…isn’t that what we all want? Don’t we all want people to be supportive of us when the chips are down? Don’t we all want people to acknowledge that half-full glass, rather than constantly pointing out that it’s half-empty? I’m great at seeing my own half-empty glass, and I can beat myself up for it perfectly well, without anyone else’s help. I don’t need someone to dredge up feelings of failure. No, it’s the support that helps to keep me focused on the prize. And I believe that most of us are that way. I follow another blog whose writer has lost close to 300 pounds. He constantly mentions how important the support of his readers has helped him in his journey. I’ll bet he’s used that word several hundred times over the course of his blog. And I know Kenz feels the same way – she’s said so over and over throughout her blog.
    One more little thing, Maureen – I have gone back and checked, and I can’t find anywhere that Kenz said she gave up her job by choice. Where did you get that idea? Just wonderin’…and now I’ll be quiet. At least for a little while.

Gina
    October 19, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I know not everyone has a blog. But has anyone else noticed that negative commenters tend to not have contact information or a blog?
    "I'm just sayin?!"

FYI – Good job on 112 pounds. I would give anything to have lost half of that in the last 18 months.

-Gina (new reader)

Deb
    October 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Kenz, you've been an inspiration to me since I started my own journey. I absolutely admire you for continuing to blog through all the ups and downs.

One thing I'm learning is that if you want this to be for life, sometimes you have to slow down a bit. You might speed up and slow down dozens of times. It isn't just about the numbers; it's about the mind. As long as that keeps growing, it's okay that the numbers sometimes shrink slower.

Amy
    October 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I'd really like to see what this "Maureen" looks like, I mean common, are you actually saying, hey guess what, life's easy, nobody should be fat!!

There is an epidemic of obesity in North America, and it's not just because we love food. It's not just about the food and exercise. It's about finding the emotional balance and rhythm within your life. Shit happens, and we fall off balance, and we all struggle and try to do our best.

Common Maureen, are you actually saying that you think that going through a rough patch in life should motivate someone to lose more? Sure maybe, but it's life, it's not a race!!

Maureen, you clearly have your own issues to sort out. Something tells me you like to provide anonymous criticism for attention. Why can't anyone click on your name? Why, because you're a coward.

Kenz is honourable. She has lost so much weight and continues to try. She's been through a lot and kept writing to her readers to keep people in the loop. I'm sure when her success slowed down (never stopped) she likely wanted to hide and not report anything to anyone, because she didn't want to disappoint. The fact that she continues to write about her journey is something that should be applauded.

Seriously Maureen… I don't think it's about a "pat on the back" and people encouraging her and not speaking the real stuff… it's because everyone can relate… besides you because you apparently have never had to work for anything in your life. Your perfect life. I'd like to see what happens to you when shit hits the fan.

Jamie
    October 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Unlike Maureen, I am more confused in how you didn't gain 112lbs during that very trying 6 month period..because any normal person would have eaten their feelings in vats of butter cream frosting, or pie, or oh you get the idea…I've lost 72lbs now since March. I don't say that for a pat on the back, I could have certainly done a lot better. I could have made better choices. At the end of the day all you can ask yourself is if you did the best you could. If the answer is no, then you try harder the next day. Period. Their maybe some who might not agree with the way you handled things, but who cares what other people think about you? You shouldn't! I heard a saying a long time ago (that is somewhat vulgar so I will nicely clean it up) that I try to stand true to…If you aren't sharing a bed with me, feeding me, or supporting me financially, your opinion of me doesn't matter.
    You didn't gain the weight on a time line, and you certainly can't adhere to a time line when trying to lose it. You will have good weeks and bad weeks.

erinmakesitwork
    October 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Stress and emotional upheaval probably play a huge role in why you haven't dropped more weight. But who cares? The important thing is that you are committed to adopting a healthy lifestyle, without giving up your LIFE…and that my dear, makes you wonderful.

KellyNY
    October 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oh my Lord Kenz, apparently losing 112 lbs. has been an epic failure because you should've lost 160 lbs! LOL. Seriously though, if you don't like someone's journey, then just don't follow it, how about that? I really don't like know-it-alls. Apparently, Maureen thinks she knows you and your journey better than you do, Kenz.

Anonymous
    October 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I read you from all the way down in NZ and you inspire me!
    To me a blog whilst public is a place to write what you want to say and whether someone like it or not is up to them!
    Keep up the inspiration Kenz – we love you from way down under!
    Lisa in NZ

Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 at 1:26 am

when i see or hear people putting others down, it is an attempt to somehow compensate for their own inadequacies. maureen hides behind what is probably a fake name and her own insecurities.she appears to be a loser, seeking any kind of attention she can get, good or bad. cudos to kenz followers, who choose to support her in her journey. she is rock solid in her commitment and without maureens approval, she will reach her goal and she will maintain. sadly, i predict that maureen will always be maureen and that is a tradgedy, indeed

Zepherine
    October 20, 2010 at 3:19 am

Girl,you had me scared for like five whole seconds. NOT!!! I knew you wouldn't give up. You are so right losing weight is not a contest. I have only lost 20lbs this year and sometimes that bothers me, but I soothe myself with the fact that I am 100lbs smaller now than on March 10, 2009. I'll take my slow weight loss thank-you very much. I've lost weight quicker on WW, but this is my 6th go-round on WW so I'll just take my time and you take yours too. Forget all the haters.

phatinphx
    October 20, 2010 at 4:26 am

At the end of the day the only one that has to be happy with a weight loss is the individual putting in – or not – the effort. What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter.

When one is anonymous they can use any name in a stealthy attempt to call you out because they "care" when they actually do not. And frankly – that's pretty petty. Even when someone posts as a "real" person – how real are they?? I would respect "Maureen" more if she would have been less catty and more direct. At least then there would have been a shred of honesty in regards to her motive and there would be no question her intent.

Personally Kenz, I think a 112 pound loss rocks. So what if you've had challenges that altered how you walked your road? As long as you are happy with what you are doing, and changing what you do when you are not – that is all that matters. You're the only one that has the power to change yourself and it's no one's business but your own when and/or if you continue at a good clip or a slow pace or if you quit altogether.

There is no "one size fits all" in weight loss. What you do is different than another WW member, or different from what I do or what someone else does. There is no perfect way or perfect lifestyle for everyone. But what we should all do is celebrate our success – 12 pounds or 112 pounds. For some people, only gaining 15 is better than gaining what could have been because deep down someone has learned something and they will choose to move forward in their own time. If this shit were easy, the entire world would be at a normal BMI.

Being fat happens due to more than just overeating. And the journey to break the cycle is not just about eating "right" – it's about learning to deal with everyday life and surviving. It's about fixing more than just meals that total to a certain calorie level or meals that fit a program. In many cases it's about fixing the person inside and having them come to a realization that life is worth more than a cheeseburger, ice cream or cake every meal, every day. It's about knowing that crap happens, and the true test is getting back on when you fall.

Just because it's easy for someone else to deal with a job change or a broken relationship and NOT gain weight or lose more than someone else, doesn't mean it's right or wrong. It just means that's how it worked in that person's life, in their circumstances. It doesn't open the door for comparison or criticism.

So Maureen – fuck off already. Whether Kenz has lost 12 pounds or 112 pounds, it's not your business to call her out on anything because you don't walk in her shoes.

And Kenz – keep fighting the fight. You rock!

Heather A
    October 20, 2010 at 4:53 am

Kenlie,

The first 100lbs lost = amazing control & hard work.

The last 12 lbs lost = truly inspirational.

I know. You know I know. You continue to astound and inspire me. To hell with the negatives!

You're cared about by so many and the response to this post proves it. The people you have around you right now prove it. Your continued dedication to your health and well-being proves it.

From the mouth of one who was not fully understood as well, I leave you with this thought… "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

Kenz…I always comment under the "Anonymous" headings because besides being 170 lbs overweight, I am technology challenged….therefore a blog seems like such a difficult challenge. I am impressed to see how many people actually do it. I love your blog and the fact that you are so "real" to so many of us. I wish I could have lost 12 lbs in the past 6 months because I am fighting myself constantly to do the right thing, to eat healthy foods and to exercise. I have joined, quit, and re-joined Weight Watchers a million times and each time I vow to make this the last time and each time I fail. I admire you for your honesty….good times and bad. I check your blog several times a day and the comments from your readers. I commented and got upset with Maureen's negativity but now I think that maybe Maureen is just trying to inspire all of us with her "tough love" attitude. It works with some of us but not with others (it would never work with me).
    Thank you Kenz for sharing your journey with us. I, as one of your regular readers, am very grateful. Debbie in Maryland

Delane
    October 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I pass by your blog every so often. Okay Maureen can suck it.

It's not a race and it's not the biggest loser. Fwiw I'd be thrilled to have lots 12 lbs vs the 5 I've lost since spring.

Steelers6
    October 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm

OVER ONE HUNDRED POUNDS LOST! Nothing to sneeze at for sure. Woo hoo!!

"In the real world people struggle w/real problems and setbacks everyday and somehow manage to keep living and losing." Which is a wonderful thing, isn't it. That IS life. Maureen's comment here DOES describe the real world. Glad I'm in the real world; glad Kenz is in the real world.

Good point, Gina, imo, if you are going to be making comments, the person writing the blog needs to have your contact info. I don't have a blog, but have personally contacted K to give her my info, and she can contact me anytime. When ppl don't do that, or have a blog link, the only option is to address that writer HERE, as K has done. Sad, bc the blog is not about other commenters, and I think we all will be glad to read Kenz' thought provoking, well written posts about her life again.

I know you like quotes, Kenz, so here are a few to encourage us all. (some of which I may have gotten from YOU. haha But they are good coming back at u also.)

"Don't lose weight fast, lose it forever."

"What other people think of me is none of my business."

"It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop." – Confucius

"Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."- Roberta Brenick

and this one from you –

"A year from now you'll probably wish you had started today."

Perfect!!! So glad for MY 'today' in the past, and for yours! Those reading for whom today [starting a WL journey] is actually today, seize it!

And now I think it is time to just delete any future comments from M as she/he seems to be steering ATW & it's comments in a direction that is certainly not the blog author's intention. Not sure we need to expend any more energy in that direction.

Kenz, you have yourself a super weekend in your new surroundings.
    Fondly,
    Chrissy

Stacy
    October 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Maureen if you don't have anything nice to say..then don't say anything AT ALL! That's all I have to say about that.

Kenz- I haven't been reading your blog that long, but from what I have read, I can see that you open your heart and life to us all. To continue your journey and plan and to continue to put it all out there for us to follow, good and bad, makes you successful REGARDLESS of how much weight you've lost. Congrats to you for your honesty and determination and for not letting one negative person get you down.

Tamzin
    October 21, 2010 at 2:43 am

I want to read Maureens blog…..

just saying! haha

Genie @ Diet of 51
    October 21, 2010 at 3:12 am

You are going forward. I don't even know what she's talking about. What she's just sayin' is just wrong.

Anonymous
    October 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm

So what if you've only lost 12 pounds in the last 6 months! It is still a loss and losing 25 lbs a year is still a great accomplishment, no matter what anyone says. 100 lbs loss is freakin' amazing! I just started blogging in the hope that it will improve my progress. I've lost 17 lbs since July on WW and while it is very slow, it is still 17 lbs!

Lydia
    October 21, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Wow. What impact does it have on Maureen that you "only" lost 12 pounds? Slow and steady wins the race, right? And we all lose (or gain!) at our own pace. What matters most is the effort to become more healthy, learning to make better choices, etc. People watch shows like the Biggest Loser and lose a reality-based perspective. It's not typical to lose 10+ pounds a week. Any loss is a good loss!

Danielle
    October 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Reading this post made me think back on my own journey as it stands right now. I just realized that this weekend is my 1 year anniversary with WW since signing up in NY. As of last weekend my total loss was 22.4 pounds. To many people I know that they would look at that loss and wonder why I hadn't lost more. But I keep reminding myself that my loss has overcome a lot of obstacles in this past year, and instead of letting myself give in and give up completely I kept moving forward the best I could, and that means that in a year's time I've lost weight instead of gained (which is what happened for several years before this). Would I liked to have lost more in this time, of course, but as my real goal is to reach and maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my lifetime, viewing the loss process as a race isn't the best mentality for me to have.

It is perseverance in the face of life's struggles that is the true inspiration, not the numbers on the scale. Keep being you Kenz and the rest of us will continue to be inspired and motivated. 🙂

Anonymous
    October 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Kenz – You're beautiful!! You took the high road on this (I wouldn't have been so nice). Your journey is just that…YOUR JOURNEY…..the fact that you share your story with us is generous beyond words. thank you!

Maureen — You're an evil energy vampire that will probably NEVER be happy — if you're so perfect you shouldn't be here!!! Aside from stating the obvious that if the scale doesn't move, working out will change the shape of your body to muscular, you're just showing your mean-spirited ignorance!!

Anonymous
    October 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Maureen — I wish you an itch that you cannot reach!

Kenz — You ROCK!!