Putting It Out There in Black and White

I’ve been spending time catching up and commenting on some of my favorite blogs, and wow..there are so many incredible blogs out there! Thanks to each of you who shared a link with me last week! I’ll get to every blog, but it’s going to take some time because there’s so much to see and read and learn.

As I was reading tonight, I came across Christina’s post on Never The Skinny Girl, and I decided I HAD to post this questionnaire on my blog as well. My reason for posting it is that it’s not always easy to share things like this in black and white, but it’s such an important part of this journey!

I hope you’ll take the time to answer these questions too in a comment or in your own blog post. If you do, let me know so I can read your answers even though our answers are really most important to us individually.

1. What was your highest weight, what do you weigh right now and what is your goal weight?

My highest recorded weight was 393.6. I am currently about 112 pounds down putting me at around 281. I still have a long journey ahead, but I’m a lot closer than I was when I started…:)

2. What is your #1 motivation for losing weight?

I want to be considered normal…I want to be pretty in the eyes of our shallow society. I want to walk down the street or the isle at the supermarket without being judged by strangers…

3. Have you always been overweight?

My mom and I were looking at old photos just a few nights ago, and while I always felt fat I really wasn’t. I was a chubby kid, but as we looked at pictures we were astonished by how small I was…it’s not as far off as it seems now!

4. When you want to give up what inspires you to keep going?

I think about how much easier it is to walk when my feet are not aching, how much more fun it is to shop for clothes now and how it all just keeps getting better. I already feel incredible..I seriously cannot imagine how amazing I’ll feel 100 pounds from now, but you can be sure I’m going to find out!

5. What is the #1 thing you look forward to when you hit your goal weight?

I’m looking forward to the day that I can wear my teal Pearl Jam shirt with the avocado on the front from their performance at Irving Plaza in 2005. 🙂

6. Do you have support on your weight loss journey?

Yes…from my family, my friends, my bloggin’ buddies, tweeps, etc. I’m thankful for the support..always. Just saying.

7. What is your favorite exercise?

When I’m doing cardio, I love the elliptical machine. I love the way I own it now because it felt impossible at the beginning. And in weight training, I love side lunges with a shoulder raise. I feel like a rock star every time I do those!

8. What is the most important thing you have learned on your weight loss journey?

I’m learning (still in progress) that who I am today is okay. I am a person who is actively changing for the better…to become who I want to be rather than living in the rut of who I was. And for that reason alone, I should be damn proud of myself. Like I said, still working on it…but it seems crystal clear these days.

9. What is one thing you have given up that you miss the most?

I’m so happy to say that I haven’t given anything up. Nothing is off-limits. And I truly believe that this is the only way to maintain life-long success. I don’t eat everything I crave every time I crave it, but there’s no reason I can’t enjoy a cupcake or ice cream from time to time. And I do..

10. What is your strategy for losing weight?

I eat proper portions and exercise…Funny how that works, huh? 😉

I was really struggling before this post. I’ve eaten enough today, but I feel like snacking. My stomach is growling a little, but I should be sleeping! And for the last few hours I’ve been dealing with an inner struggle, but I’ve reminded myself that I would rather continue losing weight than eat a slice of pecan pie that I could eat tomorrow with a little planning.

After posting such candid answers to the questions above, I’m reminded that I’ll feel so awesome when I wake up tomorrow knowing I made good choices all day today. So on that note, I’m going to sleep! And perhaps it’s strange to feel a little excited that I can eat again when I wake up, but that’s what I’m thinking right now. Just keeping it real…;)

Goodnight lovies!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    October 7, 2010 at 7:06 am

I like this line of questioning, and I love your candid answers.

The part about eating the pie now vs "eating it tomorrow with some planning" caught my eye. That really does make you stop and realize if you really want it you CAN have it tomorrow…if you still even want it then. Great attitude, Kenz.

I may do a similar post tomorrow, to follow your trend, if that's okay? I will be sure to mention your blog!

I think it may help me to re-focus on my goals as well.

Cathy
    October 7, 2010 at 11:07 am

Nice post, I will do something similar later.

Ms. PJ Geek
    October 7, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I'm doing the same kind of self talk to get my self through the sweets/ carb cravings. I don't do well with total deprivation, so this is working for me….as in " yes, you can have that pumpkin muffin , but you can plan it in for tomorrow or the next day-just not right now.and how much better you will feel about it"…it's working

JoAnn
    October 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hey Kenz, you never really shared with us how you got up to 393 lbs in the first place. I've been wondering, since you have such a positive outlook on life. You don't seem like someone who would put on that much weight. What happened?

Oh, and congrats on that positive self talk for resisting that pecan pie and snacking!

Annaleah
    October 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm

That was a good exercise, Kenz. Posting this made me do quite a bit of honest reflection. Thanks for the push.

Deb
    October 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Great post. Thanks for all the candid answers.

I think I'll do this questionaire tomorrow.

pinkvision
    October 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Hi Kenz, thanks for posting this, made me do a bit of clarifying of my thoughts and objectives too. I really like your answer to #8 🙂 – that's certainly something I am working on – knowing I am great just as I am right now, whatever size I am.

And yay!! for putting off the pecan pie till tomorrow & counting it in. 🙂

Kimberlynn
    October 7, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Hi Kens…I love these kind of questions and your honesty in answering them. They're more personal and help us all to search inside ourselves for answers. I'll definately be doing this on my blog later tonight. I'll come back later and leave a link.

*Whitney*
    October 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I love this!! Good luck on your journey! You're doing so great!

SeattleRunnerGirl
    October 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Great questions! I'm going to post this on my blog next week. Thanks for sharing!

Stacy
    October 7, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hey Kenz,

I answered too..great questions..my answers are on my blog http://www.itsmylife4sure.blogspot.com/

Kendra
    October 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

You gave me an awesome blog post for next week. Thank you so much! And thanks for being so honest and candid. I know it's not always easy to be so transparent.

Kimberlynn
    October 8, 2010 at 1:58 am

Hi Kens…I loved this post and wanted to join in. Here's the link for my answers.

jenbythesea
    October 8, 2010 at 2:05 am

Hi Kenz,
    I love these questions! I plan to answer them on my blog tomorrow night when I have the time to devote to that much writing. I could really relate to your looking at old pictures and discovering you weren't fat at all. I felt so fat and saw a really fat girl in the mirror when I was in high school. But, years later I looked at some pictures taken during high school and found I wasn't nearly as fat as I saw myself.
    Have a wonderful Friday!

Josie
    October 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Here from Val's blog and oooh, I love this questionnaire and think I might do this on my blog too. Isn't it great to reflect on where we came from and where we're going?

It is nice to 'meet' you!

Mary H.
    October 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This is a great questionnaire. I filled it out on my blog and asked others to join in too!

notyouraveragegal.blogspot.com

Patrick
    October 9, 2010 at 2:06 am

So look forwardingtoseeing you in that Pearl Jam shirt. Enjoyed your insight here, I'll include thsi questionaire in a post of mine next week and link back to you 🙂

healthwithhappiness
    October 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

I came across your blog today via seattlerunnergirl… and I have just read al your 2010 posts in one sitting! I'm so glad she put the link up – I am amazed and totally inspired!
    I am a Weight Watcher in Australia, and can relate to your love of your meeting. Mine is my Wednesday night out, and NOTHING stops me going. Those ladies are the best, and I am Meeting Team Member there too – I think receptionist for USA.
    I have been a WW for over 10+ years and decided 3.5yrs ago that I had fluffed around for long enough, and it was time to take control and change. I had just had my last child and was at my heaviest.
    I went on to lose 24.5kg (54lb) in 2.5yrs and became a LTM in July 09. I also am changing careers from a Pastry Chef to a Nutritionist, and just this last fortnight I have achieved another personal goal and have become a WW Leader. So happy to have 3 of my own meetings to help and hopefully inspire others.
    This year too has been one of my hardest, the death of my beloved Nan and a 17yr relationship having life changing events, which occurred out of my control. This left me incredibly sad, but slowly I feel like I am emerging from the sadness and beginning to change again.
    I have added your blog to my reader, and look forward to sharing some wonderful times ahead with you 🙂

Brandi.
    October 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I'm posting my own answers. 🙂

Patrick
    October 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Ok, my answers are jere: http://responsibility199.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-179-all-weigh.html

marisol
    October 23, 2010 at 5:25 am

I finally got an opportunity to complete this questionnaire. Here is the link if you want to visit my blog

Thank you for being so open in your posts.