Holiday Eating Holidays Motivation

Getting Serious

I have begun to get back into a serious groove over the last couple of weeks, but I’m still not completely secure in my standing. And now that it is (unofficially) the holiday season, it’s time for me to ramp up my efforts even more.

I’m not a big fan of Halloween so I managed to get through the holiday without consuming much candy again this year. But this is the time of year in which I begin baking tasty treats, making enough homemade hot cocoa mix to last through Winter (actually, that’s already done) and asking Mom for her homemade secret candy recipes.

Saturday I made 11 mini-loaves of pumpkin bread, and it was delicious! I brought a few loaves to the church hayride that Dad and I went to over the weekend and froze a few loaves to take home too.

It would be easy to say “It’s just one slice of pumpkin bread” or “It’s just one cup of cocoa with whipped cream.” You get the idea…but it’s far more important to me to make choices that will leave me feeling confident and healthy going into the new year.

Life will be full of tempting treats for most of us in the next 60 days, and I plan to enjoy some myself. But I’ll remind myself to look at the bigger picture, just as I did last year.
Here’s an excerpt from a post about holiday eating last year:

I also post status updates on Facebook almost religiously. (Yes…I am that person. hehe) And over the the last week or so, I’ve posted messages about standing over the stove preparing this stuff, and I’ve heard the same question from several people, including the woman at the market:

“How do you make that stuff and still lose weight?”

My answer is pretty simple…I don’t eat much of it. I have a piece here and there, but I plan for it first. When I make any dish (dessert, dinner, hot chocolate) I use the recipe builder on WW e-tools to figure out point values of each piece. And believe me, when a tiny piece of peanut butter fudge is valued at 3 points, it’s much easier to say no. I also store the goodies in air tight containers rather than leaving them on platters because it takes more effort to nibble. 😉

When I get the urge, I remind myself that I already know how it tastes. I picture it then I picture how I’ll feel when I step of the scale showing a loss, and that seals it for me. I would rather lose weight than eat junk — even if it is quality junk food. 😉

There is so much more to the holidays that rich foods and decadent treats. And while it’s absolutely okay to indulge in a bit of that, I choose to indulge in the fun and excitement that surrounds this holiday. It worked at Thanksgiving, and it will work again.
So my plan going into the holidays will be to embrace the season and my loved ones rather than focusing on the dinners, the treats and the decadent desserts. Life is about so much more than food! And if I go into this time of year prepared, I think I can come out of them healthier and happier than I was going in.
Do you have a plan of attack for the holidays? Am I ridiculous for thinking about this early?!

Deb
    November 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I really admire your ability to make it and have it around. I get crazy when I have sugar in my system, so I really do limit/eliminate it.

For the most part, my holiday plan is to limit the treats to the very specific days: Christmas, and my birthday. I am also training for a 5k race on Dec 31, so that helps keep me focused.

Ms. PJ Geek
    November 3, 2010 at 12:01 am

You had me at the pumpkin bread. I try not to bake or prepare too much , but I did buy a couple of boxes of pumpkin bread mix at Trader Joe's recently and plan that those will be all I bake over the next 2 months.

I'm right there with you on the thinking about planning for the holidays. I do enjoy things more when I don't have them very often, enjoy them as a special (not every day treat), and enjoy it mindfully .

I have to admit , I was just thinking today about this. I'm looking forward to sitting in front of the fire and watching some cheesey Family / Hallmark Channel Christmas movies.

What is the recipe you use for Hot cocoa? Please post..

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia
    November 3, 2010 at 12:05 am

For me is difficult to say no since our Holiday's meals are made of things I don't have around me all the time (coming from another country and all that) so when I see something that is so decadent and I know I wont have again until the next Holiday is very hard to say no.
    I have to ask: what propelled you to loose weight?
    What was that moment that you decided to do it? I find myself thinking that I'm ready and every time I fail.

SeattleRunnerGirl
    November 3, 2010 at 12:20 am

I totally don't think it is too early to create your strategy for the holidays! We just scheduled our Christmas party…and it happens on December 4, which is 32 days away! Crazy how fast it goes…

Anyhow, my strategy is similar to yours. Get my workouts in. Plan ahead for food that I want to enjoy. Make all my decisions conscious and about ENJOYMENT and PLEASURE rather than about mindless eating because that's what everyone else is doing. And since my current goal is to maintain through the holidays, I think this plan will allow me to be VERY successful at that goal.

Amanda
    November 3, 2010 at 12:21 am

Nope — not crazy for planning this early at all!!

My plan is to stay within my calorie range except for on four pre-determined days. Otherwise, if it won't fit in, I won't eat it.

I've also been having fun adapting recipes to lower the calorie count or raise fiber — adding flaxseed meal to this one, substituting half the sugar with Splenda in that one; egg whites here, whole wheat flour there… it's been entertaining 🙂

Tammy
    November 3, 2010 at 1:08 am

Of course it's not too early! The CEO of Weight Watchers has already posted his plan on his blog (I printed it and plan to hang it where I can see it frequently). I do have some things that make the holidays for me – pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, my mom's fudge at Christmas, and lemon squares that a co-worker makes for my Dec. birthday. Since my family is spread out now, it is easier to make fewer sweets. I'm planning my strategy, too!

KellyNY
    November 3, 2010 at 1:25 am

I am a procrastinator by nature, so for me, it is way too early to be thinking about the holidays. I've got at least another month to go! LOL. I'd like to lose weight over the holidays, but as long as I maintain and I don't gain weight, I'm good with that.

{Absolutely, Positively} Josie
    November 3, 2010 at 1:26 am

first, i absolutely don't think it's early to be thinking about holiday eating. thanksgiving is this month! thinking ahead is key!!!

Lisa
    November 3, 2010 at 2:14 am

My plan of attack is : Nothing. I will bake nothing, I will make nothing that will cause me to sabbotage all the hard work I've done. I don't need to put some carby deliciousness in front of myself and then have to keep saying no, or even worse live with beating myself up for consuming crap I know I don't need and does nothing to contribute to my weight loss goals. Plus no one will miss me not making stuff they would really also rather not eat either. They did like it when I made soap though :o)

Kimberlynn
    November 3, 2010 at 2:24 am

Absolutely not!!! I've already got my game plan in place and will be blogging about it soon. I think it's very important to be thinking about the holidays BEFORE they're upon us!!!

Becca
    November 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I totally remember that post from last year, b/c I too was amazed that you cooked/baked all those wonderful goodies, yet had the willpower to not eat it! AWESOME!! Hope you are well!

~Becca

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit
    November 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

It's never to early to start planning for the holiday season. Well, I take that back… I suppose January 3rd would be too early. You know, anytime in the first three months of the year would probably be too early. Okay, I've got some hard thinking to do now…

Cindy
    November 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm

waiting for the recipe for homemade hot chocolate… 😉

jennykate77
    November 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I needed to read this today. I like what you said about when you're thinking about eating something you picture how you will feel when you get on the scale. That's so good.

In years past, I've tried to think about the holidays as time together with family…not time together with food. It's not the food that makes it important or special, it's the people and the meaning behind the days.

Stephanie
    November 4, 2010 at 2:11 am

I don't think you're ridiculous at all, and I really admire the way you handle the holidays. I always preplan my menu before we have our big family get-togethers. It keeps me from going overboard if I have a plan of attack beforehand. 🙂

Starfire
    November 4, 2010 at 6:23 am

Down here in New Zealand we don't have quite such a minefield-laden leadup to the holidays as you folks in the States – we celebrate Halloween, but in a much lower key way than I've seen American bloggers talk about. And we don't have Thanksgiving either, although Christmas and New Years can have a lot of healthy eating dangers attached.

Luckily, though, we're just coming into Summer, which means there are suddenly all kind of scruptious fruits and veges available that you can *only* get this time of year in NZ. My plan of attack is to focus on mostly filling up on those, but allow myself a few treats now and then, as long as I plan for them and track them when I do have them so I'm not kidding myself about what I'm actually eating.

I really enjoyed this post, and I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog 🙂

Annie
    November 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Great post, Kenz!! I can relate to it and don't think it's too early to think about it at all. I just made my next "mini" goal to hit -65 pounds before New Year's day. That's 9.8 pounds by then, so I can't afford to indulge too much around the holidays. My plan: make one dozen of my favorite and one dozen of DH's favorite cookies and that's it. Use my recipe builder to calculate points and label the containers I put them in with the points values and pictures of ourselves at our highest weights next to the points. My guess is that once we see the pictures of ourselves and the points values, we'll be much less likely to have more than one! We also just joined a gym this week to step up our activity level and get into the habit of going before THanksgiving even hits.