Family Holidays Lifestyle Reflection

Holiday Ho Hum

We are quickly approaching my favorite time of year, but I’m not in a celebratory mood this year. My entire world has changed since this time last year, and I find myself longing – not for the life I had, but for the life I hope to have by this time next year.

Dad and I will be together for Thanksgiving, and I’m thankful for that. But I miss the rest of my family. This year I’ll miss mapping out my Black Friday plans with friends and relaxing while the game is on in the background. I’ll miss the cornbread dressing and Watergate salad.

I don’t want to sound like I’m not thankful for many things. Just being around Dad this year will be a treat for me, but I’ll miss being surrounded by the comfort and fun that can only come from a big group of loved ones.

Christmas will be a different story. I’ll be with Mom and my sister and her beautiful family. It really would be perfect for us if Dad could be there too, but I know I shouldn’t expect perfection. And I don’t. I’m looking forward to spending time with my precious niece and wrapping gifts and knitting with the neighbor and consuming too much homemade hot chocolate. 😉

But what I’m really looking forward to most is settling into my new world after the holidays. I’m moving in the right direction, and I’m ready to nest. I’m convinced that 2011 will be better than 2010 so while I plan to enjoy my family, I’m ready to put this year behind me. I’m ready to start enjoying life fully again, and I’m hopeful for the future.

Speaking of hope for the future, I’m attending a new WW meeting today. It has been weeks since I’ve had any kind of consistency, but these meetings are too important to miss. And I’m making a commitment to myself not to miss another one. I’ll meet new people, learn in more detail about the new program and (most importantly) have an opportunity to track my progress, stay accountable and refuel.

I may feel down today, but I know that things are looking up. And I’m determined to see this through to get to the good stuff. For now, I’ll just take it one day at a time…

Jill
    November 23, 2010 at 11:56 am

Kenz you are sounding positive, I hope 2011 is the year for you, I plan on it being the year for me. Enjoy your family at this festive period.

I hope you like the new program. Jx

Amy
    November 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Holidays can be a hard time..I hope 2011 brings you everything you want. The picture of you on your twitter page is great! You look stunning! Keep up the great job.

Sarah
    November 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Consistency is, unfortunately, the key.. so they say.. but what the hell do I know about that?! lol.. I am looking into going to the meetings in my neck of the woods, but I'm holding out for the free registration (and the whole new setup their launching on the 29th!)

Good luck with your meeting, and I'm right there with ya ready to get this year out of the way and start fresh with a new one! 🙂

Tammy
    November 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I can't wait to hear about your meeting. I'll be missing mine this week because I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow. Our group has been counting on starting the new program next week on the first, but our leader said that some of the At Work groups won't convert until they begin their next session. She said they told her if groups were in weeks 10, 11, or 12 of the 12-week session, they would have to wait. We will be starting week 9 on Dec. 1, so we are still hopeful that they will let switch to the new program!

Lucy K
    November 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I am going to the meeting this Saturday and I am looking forward to seeing what the new program has to offer. I am feeling like you in the sense that I think 2011 will be an outstanding year, I am ready to go ahead and pack 2010 up!

mensa
    November 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Even for us that have had an okay 2010 … we're looking forward to a much better 2011 full of good surprises, and a lot of success and joy to boot!

~Sheilah

Sarah
    November 23, 2010 at 5:14 pm

One foot in front of the other.

Sheila
    November 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm

ok – what meeting are you going to?!
    I go on Tuesday's also – but it's in tulsa. Wasn't sure if you would be driving that far or not!?
    And you are MORE than welcome to come and shop with me on black friday!!!! 🙂 I'm not that far from you now!

Jill
    November 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I know what you mean having mixed feelings over the holidays. My parents split 4 years ago and I feel like I don't have much of a family left. My sister spends most of her time with her fiancé's family, and I'm welcome there (his family is amazing! Her inlaws treat me like their own daughter!) but she always invites my dad over, and then I feel like a bad person for "abandoning" my mom. It's a struggle every year. But I find in times like that it's best to live in the moment and enjoy what you have.

SeattleRunnerGirl
    November 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Kenz, I know what it feels like to WANT to enjoy and savor the holidays, but also be ready for the year to be over. Enjoy each day as it comes, give yourself lots of grace, and enjoy the ANTICIPATION of knowing that 2011 is going to be a fantastic year! I can't wait to hear about your plans for the new year.

Anonymous
    November 23, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Just a quick comment.

You're AMAZING!!
    🙂

Janna
    November 24, 2010 at 1:55 am

Things will be better! YOU are taking steps to make them better…so smile and be happy! It is a great time of year…

And new friends…are the best! 🙂

jennykate77
    November 24, 2010 at 3:23 am

One day at a time…that's all you can do. God will take care of the rest. He'll take care of you! Praying your life take a HUGE turn for the best in the coming year. I hope Thanksgiving is better than you expect and it catches you by surprise!

Hope you had a great day and your WW meeting was a good one! *muah*