I Did It

I’m happy to report that I completed a full day of vegetarian eating yesterday. I had planned meals that would be high in protein and filling, but my plans changed rather abruptly so I wasn’t able to map out the day in the way I had hoped. I was still successful, in that I stuck to the challenge, but my food choices left much to be desired.

I had not planned on traveling yesterday, but I did. Once again, I’ll be out of my routine until Sunday, but this gives me extra time to workout and concentrate on making healthy choices. I can’t complain about that.

Now about yesterday…I ate vegetables and nuts, but I also consumed more carbohydrates than I have in ages. I felt satisfied, but I did not feel healthy. I did not consume much protein at dinner. We ate at a buffet (which is something I don’t do often anyway,) and I struggled to find beans that were cooked without meat, etc. I’m not a big fan of pasta though it was available so I settled on a plate filled with broccoli, cucumbers, corn, okra and a roll. Following dinner, I consumed an ounce of cashews. Ha…

I tried..really.

Though I know my eating would have been much better at home, I learned a few things about myself. In my head I thought “You know, I didn’t plan on traveling today. I should do this on a different day.” I struggled to follow the plan I laid out for myself just as I have in the past, but my resolve to follow through on my commitment won.

Will I become a vegetarian now? No…but now I know a little more than I did. Obviously, I have a lot to learn, but I gained a little confidence in myself. And I feel good about completing the challenge.

What did you eat yesterday? What will you do to be healthy today?

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie
    November 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I applaud your vegetarian efforts!

Although I'm not a big meat-eater, I could never go completely vegetarian…it's the cavewoman in me, I guess!

What did I do to be healthy today? I walked/ran today for 40 minutes (in week 4 of C25K, with my own modifications). So far, so good!

Kimberlynn
    November 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I've tried going vegetarian…one time!!! I knew in the first day that I couldn't live without at least a little meat in my diet. I try to make my meat portions small, sort of a side dish, rather that the main dish. Veggies are the big thing on my plate too.

I think you did really well, especially considering the change in plans. That can derail the best laid plans. Good job.

Stacy
    November 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I think you did great for your day of no meat! LOL. I stopped eating red meat at one point in time but didn't stick to it long. I'm really a meat person so I don't forsee a vegetarian future for me. I couldn't give up chicken!

I have been trying to add more fruits and veggies to my diet. I have replaced my rice/pasta/couscous at dinner with an extra veggie and have at least 1 or 2 fruits with my Greek yogurt for an evening snack. I'm typically a big carb eater so I've been surprised that I'm enjoying the extra veggies instead. I've actually been craving green beans and butternut squash!

Have a great week.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun
    November 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian but I do enjoy that eating style and eat that way some days. I agree that it is a good experience to learn new ways to adjust meals and get in more veggies.

jennykate77
    November 10, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I did pretty good yesterday…a protein shake for b-fast, some fish and veggie for lunch, but then we ate out for dinner and I had a small piece of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and steamed cabbage. Not really bad, but not great.

I plan on drinking LOTS of water today. I need it.

Amanda
    November 10, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I have days when I go meatless, mostly out of my slackerly ways because I have a vegetarian dinner (chickpeas, quinoa, and avocado) that's a regular in my rotation. Toss that in with a Boca Burger (soy) at lunch and yogurt/Kashi/berries at breakfast and… well… vegetarian it is!!

I could do vegan I guess, if I had to. But I'd rather not… I really do like my dairy, and soy-as-dairy skeeves me out.

Anonymous
    November 11, 2010 at 2:34 am

FYI…when you write a post and publish it, then decide to delete it, it still is viewable in a feed reader. Just sayin'…

******
    November 11, 2010 at 3:10 am

Yeah…was just going to mention what Anonymous said. Your last post is still viewable.

♥ Shrinking Kenz ♥
    November 11, 2010 at 3:41 am

Yeah, so thanks for telling me..good grief. I meant every word I said, but I guess it's too personal. I'll tone it down then try writing it again. I was hurt today, but God spoke to me so I'm kind of feeling better.

Starfire
    November 11, 2010 at 7:22 am

I'm really lucky that we're just coming into Summer down here in New Zealand, which means there's SO MUCH good summer fruit and veges available for munching on. I've been eating a lot of strawberries, melon (watermelon and cantaloupe), plus my ultimate favourite at this time of year (don't laugh, 'k?) fresh garden peas straight out of their pods.

FWIW, I'm not vegetarian, but I do tend to limit red meat to once – possibly twice – a week most weeks.

******
    November 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Well…the post just reveals a little more about you, on a more intimate and personal level. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. Good on you for using your blog to vent. Your space, do what you like. Yes, it reflected how hurt you were, and also how human you are just like the rest of us who hurt.